Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Dui checkpoints

Post by Dustint66
How about a lil icon for checkpoints?
Dustint66

POSTER_ID:12367708

Send a message

Post by Daknife
I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I'm fairly positive the public notice is a federal requirement imposed by the Supreme Court.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by igv7
I don't agree with reporting DUI checkpoints. I do not want to aid a drunk driver in avoiding it and continuing to drive drunk. I don't not my life in added danger or anyone else's. It does cause a delay I totally agree with that point. However, last night on my way home I was re-routed about two times. Needless to say I was taking right through a checkpoint. My question now, Is Waze working with LA County to have drivers using the app go through these DUI checkpoints? Kind of seemed suspicious to me last night, I was not drinking so I wasn't worried about that.
igv7
Send a message

Post by majic12
everything that would impact traffic and routing should be reported...isnt that the point.
majic12
Send a message

Post by mysticcobra
While I think the current software is plenty sufficient to report such police events, I am surprised as I had no idea such restrictions existed for police checkpoints. I know they are productive sometimes. I read an article recently where over two dozen citations were issues in one night here in NOVA.
mysticcobra
Send a message
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S6-Android 7.0, Waze 4.50.1.1
Northern VA

Post by OldGnome
Why would you report a DUI checkpoint? I am certainly not interested in helping drunk drivers stay on the road.

Please explain.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
@AndyPoms -

I understand that aspect of it. As a Wazer, why do I care whether there is a DUI checkpoint? If it is so that I am aware of a traffic bottleneck, I understand. If it is to know that it is specifically a DUI checkpoint, again - why should I care?
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
daknife wrote:Report it for the traffic impact.
Thanks, daknife. I appreciate the information.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I don't see any impact to the risk of drunk drivers being on the road in posting a report about a check point. From a delay standpoint - after all, they are stopping every car and interviewing the driver - there is a lot of value in telling drivers about the delays that causes.

I don't know how other people report it, but I, personally, would probably try to focus reporting on the delay aspect of it instead of the checkpoint aspect - maybe use a traffic pin instead of a cop pin and wording in the description that makes it more about the delay than it being a checkpoint. The main reason for this is if any of the authorities administering the checkpoint also run Waze, they can remove the reports if they feel they are compromising the stealth of their operation. Same thing goes for speed trap pins, though I think their aim is to capture a much shorter interval of time.

This may all be moot anyway, since many DUI checkpoints aren't exactly stealthy, instead operating under the assumption that the worst offenders they are trying to target won't, in their inebriated state, be savvy enough to avoid them anyway.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by Plinko75
I would play the odds and say that a person that is too drunk to be driving will most likely not be using(or be able to accurately follow) Waze reports. I would absolutely report a checkpoint because a checkpoint is a delay. Isn't that what we are all here trying to avoid?
Plinko75
Send a message