Post by HandofMadness
Timbones wrote: [Edit: isn't there a separate thread about landmarks in the US forum?]

via mobile
Yes, there are two US specific Landmark threads in the US Local forum.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CrackedLCD wrote:Personally I would like to see the parking lots mapped only over parking areas, and a separate landmark could be drawn for shopping malls or other nearby large buildings. I'm not sure how it'd look on the map, though.
Check out Edgewater Mall in Biloxi, MS. I drew in the mall separately from the parking lot. Waste of time. There's no obvious difference on the client.

I could've just drawn one large landmark around the perimeter, set it as Parking Lot, and named it Edgewater Mall and it would have have the same effect.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
scruffy151 wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote:In that case, why should we even label malls and other big landmarks anything other than parking lot, if they all look the same?
Now that parking lot roads are fixed I don't use parking lot landmarks anymore. You can add in extra roads in cases where a landmark may have been needed before.
You certainly don't need a landmark if you draw the roads. Except in the case of a mall, which is typically marked with a landmark anyway, and is so large and has so few roads compared to paved area, that both are necessary. Might as well make the entire mall and parking lot one big PLot landmark.

That's what I've done for every mall besides Edgewater.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
mtlgab wrote:If the landmark goes beyond the building limits that would mean it will cover some parking roads but that is against the rules (see above).
Parking lot roads are part of the landmark, so that wouldn't apply. I actually put that section into the Wiki after discovering HUNDREDS of sloppy parking lot landmarks that covered the streets surrounding the landmark, making those surrounding streets ignore traffic jams.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
paulwelch23 wrote:
rbthomp76 wrote:I think it would be great if parking lots did not appear in the client. Can we have them on a separate layer? I think they present a better solution than parking lot roads (which can get pretty nasty looking especially along frontage roads).

(I'm very thankful that I haven't needed to use Waze to get out of any parking lots!!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree with this idea. I think it would just confuse the average user.
I agree also. And the Parking Lot Roads could stand to be a lot dimmer in the client, like the Pedestrian Boardwalks. You can barely see those.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
mtlgab wrote:6- We are missing POI in the client. Once that could be activated the landmarks would be less important. We need to have at least the basic ones (Gas, shopping, police, fire, hospital, pharmacy, auto_repair, and a few others.)
9- I see many alerts from Waze regarding undefined gas stations. So for these landmarks we need to understand if the Gas Landmark suppresses trafic or if we need to edit Parking lot roads.
6. POIs are searchable in the client and have been for quite some time. They don't show on the client though and won't unless a landmark is placed.

9. Gas stations suppress traffic. That's never been in question.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
No. They come from a third party provider, just like everything else you search for on Waze. (bing, google, etc)
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CrackedLCD wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:9. Gas stations suppress traffic. That's never been in question.
Do you name gas station landmarks? I've been naming the ones that were put in to suppress traffic, but I think after a certain number of them are drawn it starts to clutter the map too much.
Yes, I name them. In most cases, that means one word...Shell, Exxon, Chevron, etc. Are there really that many gas stations in one area that they would cause clutter?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
mapcat wrote:In the USA, we're not supposed to be adding gas station landmarks. They imported a special uneditable layer for those.
Which neither shows the gas station, nor does it suppress traffic. The uneditable layer and the landmark layer are two different things and I really don't think one has anything to do with the other.

From what I've seen, the gas stations layer that we can't edit just has a gps point that shows the gas station, and doesn't cover any area that would suppress traffic.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
paulwelch23 wrote:It seems that the only point for Landmarks in the USA are to indicate parks, large shopping establishments, gas stations, and stand-alone parking lots. Am I missing something here?
That's pretty much correct, except you forgot schools and colleges.

In New Orleans, I also map cemeteries and churches because they're a huge part of our history and local culture.

I only map parking lots if they're a repeated problem, and then I'll often get frustrated with the clutter and delete all of them.

I've noticed a lot of little rural graveyards are mapped from the basemap also.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message