Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Some Suggestions/issues/bugs

Post by sleepymatt01
After using the app for ~ 2 months, I have a few suggestions/issues/bugs I have discovered. I haven't looked through all the posts and I'm sure some of these have been posted before but here goes.

1. The event notification popups should have the direction of travel if available (north, south, east, west bound). It seems silly to have a popup saying heavy traffic on King George Hwy but no indication of which direction is heavy.

2. The popups are centered in the middle of the screen blocking your view of the important part of the map where the event is occurring. These should be moved to the side or corner and/or made smaller.

3. It would be great to have the speed limit shown. A cool place for it would be integrated into the speedometer with a circular progress bar and the speedometer changing color if you go over the speed limit.

4. Another cool feature when looking at alternative routes would be a 'take backroads' option. This can help you avoid congested main routes that everyone else is using.

5. When you are thanked for a report, it should be smaller and not stay on the screen for such a long time. I'm not sure how long it is but something small and simple in the corner for <5 secs would be much better

6. One bug I noticed is that the detect 3 fingers to activate voice commands does not work if the phone is landscape oriented ... only portrait works. May just be my phone but I would love for that to be fixed. (Iphone 5, iOS 6.0.1)

One last feature which I highly doubt would be implemented but still really cool is a Dashcam option. For those of us that use windshield or dash mounts, the camera is usually in an ideal position to record video and could possibly save us when claiming who was at fault in an accident.
sleepymatt01

POSTER_ID:12206327

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
sleepymatt01 wrote:After using the app for ~ 2 months, I have a few suggestions/issues/bugs I have discovered. I haven't looked through all the posts and I'm sure some of these have been posted before but here goes.
Welcome...
sleepymatt01 wrote:1. The event notification popups should have the direction of travel if available (north, south, east, west bound). It seems silly to have a popup saying heavy traffic on King George Hwy but no indication of which direction is heavy.
Currently this is only possible on divided highways/dual carriage ways (i.e. two one-way roads instead of one two- way road) like the Interstate highways in the US - the roads have to be named with the direction. As for smaller streets, traffic in one direction will typically impact traffic in the other direction as well (maybe not as much).
sleepymatt01 wrote:2. The popups are centered in the middle of the screen blocking your view of the important part of the map where the event is occurring. These should be moved to the side or corner and/or made smaller.
Which type of pop-up are you referring to? The ones that show up when you are stopped or the ones that alert of you an upcoming hazard?
sleepymatt01 wrote:3. It would be great to have the speed limit shown. A cool place for it would be integrated into the speedometer with a circular progress bar and the speedometer changing color if you go over the speed limit.
See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22389
sleepymatt01 wrote:4. Another cool feature when looking at alternative routes would be a 'take backroads' option. This can help you avoid congested main routes that everyone else is using.
Waze will automatically calculate the fastest route, but it needs data to do it. If you think there is a faster route using backroads, drive it several times, Waze will "learn" the data about those roads. The map also has to be what we call "Mature" for this to work - the roads you intend to travel on need to be checked in the editor for connectivity, direction, turn restrictions, etc. Remember, sometimes going through the traffic is faster (or just as fast) as going around it.
sleepymatt01 wrote:5. When you are thanked for a report, it should be smaller and not stay on the screen for such a long time. I'm not sure how long it is but something small and simple in the corner for <5 secs would be much better
How long is it there for now?
sleepymatt01 wrote:6. One bug I noticed is that the detect 3 fingers to activate voice commands does not work if the phone is landscape oriented ... only portrait works. May just be my phone but I would love for that to be fixed. (Iphone 5, iOS 6.0.1)
Three finger isn't supported on all phones (I have an android, so I can't talk about the iPhone situation, but it sounds like it's probably an OS issue).
sleepymatt01 wrote:One last feature which I highly doubt would be implemented but still really cool is a Dashcam option. For those of us that use windshield or dash mounts, the camera is usually in an ideal position to record video and could possibly save us when claiming who was at fault in an accident.
See: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33737

Also moved the the Thoughts & Suggestions topic...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ