Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Major highways disappear when zoomed out

Post by
I am running the latest version of Waze on an iphone5. The issue is that recently all roads-including major highways-disappear when zoomed out to a certain degree. This issue is vehicle speed-independent, and happens even if I pinch zoom out when standing still.

The consequence is that I cannot zoom out enough to see major traffic patterns in my area before I start driving, because all the highways disappear. Furthermore, Waze becomes useless to scout possible routes on long road trips because when zoomed out to a state or city level even highways are gone, making it extremely difficult to pan and orient the map due to a complete lack of reference points.

I've tried re-downloading tiles, reinstalling the app, disabling auto-zoom and nothing has worked. Suggestions?

Interestingly, I only see this behavior on my iPhone, while on my ipad3 I can zoom out to my heart's content and the roads never disappear.

Tnx,

E92mech

POSTER_ID:10120001

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I have noted (and added to my "list") that the current client version makes even freeways disappear at at certain level of zoom out which previous versions did not. I used to be able to zoom out an then pan across the country to zoom in on a location I wanted to see how was rendered in the app. At that zoomed out level, it was easy to see the form of the country by the freeway system. Now, I have to stay zoomed in much more and it takes a lot more effort to do this.

Waze needs to overhaul and make consistent all the zoom/auto-zoom/manual zoom/declutter settings so the app behaves as we'd expect.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Donkeyfumbler wrote:Another week gone, nothing fixed, no word about whether it's even going to be fixed, a great app still totally ruined.
Welcome to Hyperbole Tuesday!

It's ridiculous to say that Waze is "totally ruined" because when you zoom out past the normal autozoom levels that Waze becomes unusable, which is what "ruined" suggests. It still works just fine.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Unholy wrote:Please note - users who already experienced this problem, have already downloaded the problematic tiles - they will need to do a "refresh map tiles" from the client in order to download the fresh set of tiles.
Ori,

This doesn't appear to be fixed to me. I just did a test and starting from as close-in zoom you can get. After I had tapped '-' six times, ALL segments disappear including highways and freeway. Are you certain this isn't an app issue?

-Alan
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
fvwazing wrote:Did you clear, Alan? I did and get to 11 steps.
I did, yes. I shall try again. Maybe they thought it was Intl only?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Definitely not working for me. I did notice that, as I tried several times, that the "refreshing map tiles" message would appear for several seconds and sit at 0% and then go away. The screen would do a couple "blinks" as if it was actually refreshing, but a couple of times, the data usage in the session was very small.

I do see lots of Wazers on the map, so the server connection is working, and least for that data. However, at zoom level 6, all segments disappear.

I tried this both on Wifi and LTE and with the same results of nothing to see.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AndyPoms wrote:Alan, there was a map tile update today (http://status.waze.com/) for the ROTW Server, but not one for the NA server. Maybe this has something to do with it...
I did notice that NA didn't have an announcement today, and you are likely right on with your assessment. Waze's announcement that it was "fixed" wasn't infrastructure specific, so I was hopeful.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
With today's NA map update, the persistence of road visibility is much better. Minor highways disappear at zoom 8, major at 10 and freeways at 12. This is significantly better than before. I feel freeways should stick around for a couple more zoom levels out as at that level you get an idea of a good part of several US states at the same time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
deeggo wrote:They're still not back for me. I did a reload of the map in the client, planned a route. Nothing helped.
What zoom level do they disappear? Check what I wrote above if you haven't already, about what I found so far.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Kina10 wrote:Unfortunately, all streets, highways, and freeways disappear at zoom 6.. .
This was fixed a long time ago. Please try to refresh maps in advanced settings. Here's my view just a moment ago of the LA area.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/06/py5apevu.jpg

Why is seeing the traffic a must?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Kina10 wrote:oh how odd, now that it's morning, the roads are showing. is it a day vs night thing? I will check again tonight. attached is why checking traffic is a necessity...
I checked in night mode too and it looked fine. So, you don't just let Waze choose the right/fastest route for you? That's what it's designed for....
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message