Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Cap on Area Manager rights?

Post by cherianchris
Would it be advisable to limit the number of areas which can be managed by an AM?

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:2166642

Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by BlazeTool
One thing to keep in mind is that not all areas are equal. Being AM for a large city can easily be more time consuming than being AM for several rural counties.

I live on the west side of Columbus but AM along the I-70 corridor between Columbus and Dayton. Many of the counties in between only have 1 full fledged city and the majority of their areas are made up of villages and townships.

Ultimately, I think, the amount of traffic and the number of roads is more a factor than square mileage or "number" of areas.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
What I meant by areas was well defined localities within a city, or cities/states itself. And having a senior manager evaluate the area would be most desirable. However, I have seen instances of users applying for AM rights in vast portions of uninhabited countryside. That is why I called for regulating the AM allotment process.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”

Post by cherianchris
Consider this, one user has AM rights in nine cities of a country, and there is no visible improvement in the quality of the Waze Base Map. How do we handle this? He can apply to add more areas to his "Territory", without actually contributing to the Map.

I'm certain, if you do a 100% job in each citiy you will make CM.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Agreed, I pushed hard for CM status because so much of my state was not being edited, and it's time consuming to request vast amounts of land on maximum permalink block at a time (or several per email). But in order to get to CM, I did in deed have to request large blocks to get enough edits to get CM status.

I see no reason for a limit, unless evidence of harmful editing by the editor is found.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
When I made my push, one user had AM rights to most of the state, yet very little had been done outside his immediate home area and commute route. He had about 270k points. Now nearly a year after I joined I'm over 1.5 mil points and he's just over 300K. Perhaps the user had great plans but life intervened and he hasn't had time to edit. You have yet to make a case for not awarding that much area as he hasn't been doing damage, just not doing much on the improvement side.

That said, some countries have gone to a CM approval system and it seems to be working. If you really want to be able to limit AM area, push for such a system in India. But I don't see the problem with the example you have shared.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by fvwazing
The *number* of areas - hm, not sure. But the (combined) *size* could start small and only grow after a senior has evaluated the results. In some countries this is already the practice, in others, it seems like Waze forks out complete states to anyone who requests it. Once the map (in a region) has reached a certain maturity it is not a good idea to do so.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
There is no such thing as "territory" in Waze. AM-areas can overlap, AMs can share the responsibility for an area.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1