Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

install on two devices

Post by rasg81
Quick question: what happens if i install waze and use the same account on two different devices?

I ask because i want to edit a small city were i lived my entire life (moved away last year) and there are lots of wrong informations (a quick count showed more than 15) that i would like to correct.

Can i ask my brother to drive around with my waze account so i can edit the city?
rasg81

POSTER_ID:11921538

Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
Mirarkitty wrote: And? Who cares as long as the data comes in? I'm totally fine with people cheating. All I care about is that the road map that I'm using has the best possible data.
Unfortunately, some of the actual cheaters couldn't give a continental sh..one..t about the data and it's accuracy. You might be ok with it, but by and large the rest of the community is not.

Not all cheating methods used contribute to the map, in fact, some methods totally screw up large parts of the map.
This translates to many dedicated hours of individuals' times being wasted by a single twat in a few minutes.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by mirarkitty
I've often run into this problem, trying to use two devices at the same time (usually when the good-screen-one requires a restart).

Right now it keeps complaining that I'm already logged in, blocking the screen and being rather obnoxiously distracting.

I'm not sure why.
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:You cannot use the same account on two devices simultaneously. There a few threads about this which explain.
Ah, feel free to link the threads. On a brief search I found no explanation to the reasons behind it.
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
fvwazing wrote:It is a measure against cheating. By driving with more than one Wazeclient assigned to the same account you could otherwise rack up more points.
And? Who cares as long as the data comes in? I'm totally fine with people cheating. All I care about is that the road map that I'm using has the best possible data. If someone is so desperate to get a gold whatchamacallit that they cheat, I couldn't possibly care less...

And:
Wouldn't the right measure to only count points from one of the clients then, if it's actually a problem?
That seems trivial enough.
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:People cheat to rack up large amounts of points and gain editing area access and then decimate the map. ALL OF YOU should definitely care about cheating.
Hmm. If people decimate the map it seems like a much, much worse problem and can't have much to do with cheating. Does that really happen? If so, we need a wiki-like history on maps so we can back destructive changes.

I can't see drive-points-cheating leading to anything other than fancy icons and thus not very useful.
Other than using people very far away, then it might allow you to decimate the map over there as well, but I can't really see the train of thought anyone might have there ("You, over there in Faraway City, use my account so I can ruin the map for you!!1!" or what?)...
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
jasonh300 wrote: Not only that, but it would be providing false traffic data, much like running multiple devices with multiple accounts in the same vehicle. It would destroy average speed data very quickly.
I doubt it would destroy anything very quickly having two devices giving the latest speed data rather than one. If only one more car would drive on the road (worst case), it would still only contribute 30% more than it would with only one device. (With no other car on the road, it has the full contribution regardless, and with more than one other car the contribution lowers dramatically.)

Or is waze using some much, much fuzzier sort of math?

Two devices in one car gives exactly the same problem as two cars with waze following each other, and that doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Rather it updates the road data better, from what I've seen... :p
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mssusa
Mirarkitty wrote:
fvwazing wrote:It is a measure against cheating. By driving with more than one Wazeclient assigned to the same account you could otherwise rack up more points.
And? Who cares as long as the data comes in? I'm totally fine with people cheating. All I care about is that the road map that I'm using has the best possible data. If someone is so desperate to get a gold whatchamacallit that they cheat, I couldn't possibly care less...

And:
Wouldn't the right measure to only count points from one of the clients then, if it's actually a problem?
It is always possible to use two different accounts if you don't care for the points. You'll get both data and editing access to both areas.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by rasg81
Mirarkitty wrote:And? Who cares as long as the data comes in? I'm totally fine with people cheating. All I care about is that the road map that I'm using has the best possible data. If someone is so desperate to get a gold whatchamacallit that they cheat, I couldn't possibly care less...

And:
totally agree with you. i dont care about points. actually, i have disabled those small candies on the map. they're very distracting.

but i do care, and a lot, about accuracy on my rotes and gas prices. the main reason for using waze (for me, of course).
fvwazing wrote:In other words - no problem, as long as you and your brother do not try to drive with Waze enabled at the same time. Alternatively you could request to become areamanager for that plot or try to turn your brother into an editor.
about applying for AM, not sure about how it works. kind of new around here.

thanks all.
rasg81
Send a message

Post by rasg81
dirgela wrote:As far as I remember when I was opening waze on second device with the same login it was simply not logging in and connected as anonymous. iOS 5.
Tested yesterday logging on my phone and tablet at the same time.
Worked just fine.
rasg81
Send a message