Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Cross Over Lanes, Toll to Dulles Access vv

Post by wpegues
There are several cross over lanes between Dulles Access and the Toll Road, most are for the public use. However, there are a couple that are controlled by a special card and gate for use by busses mainly, but not the public at all.

One of these non-public roads was drawn in on the 4th, and a report is posted where apparently someone got a driving routing by Waze to take it.

I think all the public ones are in. Technical it is a 'road' but Waze does not have a designation for 'no access' in its street directions, I am not sure if these type cross over lanes should be drawn.

Thoughts?

The one that is currently in is the just east of Hunter Mill on the east bound lanes.
wpegues

POSTER_ID:1396368

Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia

Post by BlazeTool
wpegues wrote:Some of these "roads" are really just "tracks". That is, very rarely used and really rough. They do,"go somewhere", but I don't know who uses them or how frequently. Also, a lot of simply very long driveways to a single house are shown where in many cases I know its just that, all on the land of the house, or its a road off the main highway that wanders a mile or so back to a barn that's private. What's the thought on those kinds of things
Unless it is something you would want to route traffic through, delete it. If it's a private road that only serves one address, delete it.

If it's still direction unknown, then no one has driven it, so odds are no one will miss it. It can always be added back later if need be.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by bmitch3020
Personally, I'd delete them just as I delete the gravel cross-over strips between two directions of a freeway (the ones that cops love to hide on). There shouldn't ever be a need to navigate a driver on these segments. The only other option I can think of is to turn them into either dirt roads or parking lot segments.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager

Post by CBenson
I agree that they are better left off the map. If included they should be parking lot or private roads.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Mike-1323
bmitch3020 wrote:Personally, I'd delete them just as I delete the gravel cross-over strips between two directions of a freeway (the ones that cops love to hide on). There shouldn't ever be a need to navigate a driver on these segments. The only other option I can think of is to turn them into either dirt roads or parking lot segments.
Agreed
Remove them as they're not routable to the general public. If somebody insists on putting them back then at the minimum make them parking lot type.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by mysticcobra
I agree as well. No need mapping a road that shouldn't be used.
mysticcobra
Send a message
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S6-Android 7.0, Waze 4.50.1.1
Northern VA

Post by wpegues
Well, that is a pretty good consensus. I will, delete them when I recover from flying in small commuter type plans all day.

But, while I have the thought in mind, I manage an area in rural WV because we go out there frequently. There are some roads out there that are listed as created by staff with a several years old creation date, and no modification update. Some of these "roads" are really just "tracks". That is, very rarely used and really rough. They do,"go somewhere", but I don't know who uses them or how frequently. Also, a lot of simply very long driveways to a single house are shown where in many cases I know its just that, all on the land of the house, or its a road off the main highway that wanders a mile or so back to a barn that's private. What's the thought on those kinds of things? Most of this area has never been touched or only the really main highways have been modified. A lot if other really rural areas that I have looked at for guidance are simply similar...roads that are plainly driveways, roads attributed to the wrong state (most of WV seems to be assigned to Maryland), direction of travel listed as unknown.
wpegues
Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia