Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Should a new freeway be mapped before it opens?

Post by
Tried looking for an answer for this but the most info I could find was construction zones within existing roads.

A fellow area manager in my area has mapped a brand new freeway which is currently being constructed and is scheduled to open in a few months. They have done the right thing by not joining the new freeway segments with existing road segments but is it generally seen as bad practice mapping roads under construction before they officially open? The way I see it is that it can confuse users into thinking there is a freeway there that they can take (even though Waze won't route them onto it). Opinions on if I should leave it, modify it or delete it?

And a editor link for those who are interested: https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=0&l ... TTTTTTTTFT

POSTER_ID:5281799

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
jondrush wrote:I put a highway under construction on the map because the construction workers were using Waze.
I think I may have that problem here in CT with a "busway" they are building along some railroad tracks (some abandoned, some still in use)... This poses the next question, how do I map a busway? Parking Lot Roads?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
jondrush wrote:Private should do. Then the name will show in the client.
This poses another question... HOV lanes are mapped as Parking Lot Roads, would Private be better for them (at least until we get HOV settings - IF we get them)?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by BlazeTool
I'd definitely recommend against deleting another AM's work, it's just bad karma. If you're concerned about the under-construction roads showing in the client and confusing drivers, I'd recommend PMing the other AM and ask about changing the road type to railroad. That way the work is preserved but it doesn't show and when the road is ready to open it can be changed back quickly.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AndyPoms wrote:
jondrush wrote:Private should do. Then the name will show in the client.
This poses another question... HOV lanes are mapped as Parking Lot Roads, would Private be better for them (at least until we get HOV settings - IF we get them)?
Are we saying that parking lot names don't show in the client, because I don't think that's true. My understanding was that parking lot roads were used for HOV lanes before private roads had the routing penalty. Private would make sense if starting from scratch, but I don't see much reason to go back and change the current parking lot segments to private road segments.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by cherianchris
Disconnecting Road Segments which have been "TEMPORARILY CLOSED" is approved practice on WME.
Primarily, as far as updating Road segments "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" is concerned, it may give a wazer wrong ideas about the connectivity in the region, if he is not navigating.
Secondly, even if he uses navigate, he will look at the route and assume that the error is a result of faulty map editing. And proceed on the said route, planning to take the "wrongly updated, under construction" route.
Thirdly, the segment under construction, will not gather any data for routing by Waze as no Wazer will actually drive on it. It will remain a Decoration on the map, till the road is finished and the segments are connected, into the grid.
I'd like some veterans to add their opinions this thread as well.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by cherianchris
Bang on Target!
+1

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by Daknife
Utah recently had a 9 mile stretch of new highway open. I had it all mapped in but disconnected from roads in use until it opened. I had it locked aand specified as a street rather than a Hwy until just before it opened, then about a month before the scheduled opening I made the connections and upgraded it to the proper road type but left the turn restrictions. Then when the opening occurred I changed the turn restrictions. As others have noted I was seeing GPS tracks during construction.

The ability to have a new road ready and waiting when it opens is one of the things that first sold me on Waze, as at the time I found Waze I was driving every day on a new highway that had been open for a year and a half but was still at that time represented on my Tom Tom and even Google Maps didn't have a fully accurate representation of the road, Waze did. Shortly after I started using Waze another new road opened, it has yet to appear on my TomTom updates and Google took a couple months to add it. It was there when it opened.

Map it in, lock it to keep newbie editors from connecting it before the road opens, but map it in. The user editors are aware of changes to the local road systems far sooner than any map editing team in some random office halfway across the country will become aware of it. That is one of Waze's biggest strengths, compare it to the fiasco known as Apple Maps.
Daknife
Send a message
Last edited by Daknife on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by harling
IMO, mapping the roads under construction is fine, provided they are visibly (in the client) disconnected from the rest of the map, and ideally labeled to indicate that they are under construction. It shows that Waze maps are far more up-to-date than others'.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jasonh300
lakeyboy wrote:Thanks guys, I've decided to leave the freeway in place, but I've changed the road type from freeways and ramps to private roads, so when it opens, it can be quickly changed back.
The point of Dirt Roads is that they appear as a very thin gray line in the client, so if you look closely, you can see it there, but it's not distracting, and certainly wouldn't be confused with an operating Freeway.

(Personally, I use Pedestrian Boardwalk for that sort of thing, to make it additionally unrouteable and almost invisible, but still always remember not to connect these to any live roads)
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CBenson wrote:Are we saying that parking lot names don't show in the client, because I don't think that's true. My understanding was that parking lot roads were used for HOV lanes before private roads had the routing penalty. Private would make sense if starting from scratch, but I don't see much reason to go back and change the current parking lot segments to private road segments.
Parking Lot roads definitely show a name. The only ones I've seen that don't show a name are Ramps and Dirt Roads.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message