Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by PalmettoC
I hope they do add the communication functionality to the system. In the old map editor you could see who had submitted the report, so that made it much easier to handle reports and communications. I miss that
PalmettoC
Send a message

Post by rottielover
I've run into a "higher level" editor that disabled PM's. I ran into this because they have locked segments that were causing wazer's to submit problem reports.

So getting back to the original etiquette question... I usually send a PM requesting a response within 24 hours for level's 3 and lower and 48 hours for levels 4 and higher. (simply because I'm a 3 and can deal with the "lower" stuff.).

If I don't hear back in the time frame I either fix it myself, or I submit an unlock request in the forum, usually stating why I need it unlocked. Yes there is more "administrative overhead" (more work on my part to keep track), however, I find that a notepad doc on my desktop works for the little stuff just fine. For bigger issues I update my To-Do page in the wiki for my area (major issues).

Hope that helps! (IMHO, a simple button in the left side of the map editor that shows up when a segment has been edited by someone withing the last XX days or something. That button could be configured to allow you to type a short note, and in the background sends the user responsible a PM with your note, a permalink to the segment, etc.)
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///9EKWfE[/img] [img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | To Do - St. Louis MO
To Do - Missouri | Missouri Mapping Resources | Missouri Forum

Post by tonestertm
Is there even a way to communicate with editors who don't appear to frequent the forum? I've spent a couple of hours cleaning up things like fully labeled parking lot roads (and I mean FULLY labeled; major mess in the client...), landmarked ATMs that are about 8 feet by 15 feet --and more-- and just ran into an intersection that was recently mis-modified (IMHO) all by the same user. He/she/it doesn't have any posts here in any forum and I wonder if there's a way to encourage (them) to look over the best editing practices, etc.

Yes, I'm pretty n00b, but I've spent a ton of time reading Wikis, forums and trying to get the lay of the land before doing much actual work on the map ( except for, maybe, my first couple of edits, which I promptly returned and corrected.... :oops: )

The intro video is all well and good, but it seems like it would be good to somehow put a little more emphasis on going through the wikis and at least acknowledging there's a forum here before people can start messing with the map? Speaking from personal experience here, I wouldn't have minded. And if you're not willing to take the time to learn the right way(s) to do things, should you really be messing with things that potentially impact many, many other users?
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!