Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Name for City Centre and Borough - UK

Post by ciamagno
Hi Guys,

I am new here and i would like to know with examples how should the city be named regarding the city borough and city centre.

For example, i am editing Leeds, the Leeds borough is very large so my questions are:

- Where should be only 'Leeds' as city? city centre only?

- All the wards are divided in many small zones, for exemple Cottingley has one in Leeds and one very near in Bradford, anyway the solution is to put 'Cottingley, Leeds and 'Cottingley, Bradford' am i correct?

- An other thing is regarding unique names. I red somewhere in the forum that the city borough name should not be used, for example: uniqueNameABC in Leeds should be written only 'uniquenameABC' and not 'uniquenameABC, Leeds', is that correct?

PS: I tried to find the answer in the wiki or forum but i could not, so apologies if this topic is in the wrong place.

Cheers

Ciamagno
ciamagno
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1027214

Send a message

Post by ciamagno
Do you know if there is a standard for uk boroughs, besides London that maybe will be edited different?

The comma and brackets standard is a bugger... i updated more than 500 roads in Leeds with comma because the other roads were edited like that by the previous editors... will take some time to fix it.

I am local in Leeds and i think should have (Leeds) in most of the areas but i want to use what is the standard or the best practice in UK.

cheers

ciamagno
ciamagno
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Is Leeds that unique and special a case to go against what has already been agreed (nationally) as a standard for dealing with suburbs in city's?

Villages, if shown on the gazetteer site to be unique, should have no suffix anyway. Unless the village is not a village and is a suburb. In which case it should be getting the suffix for the city it is a suburb of.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by dknight212
Someone who knows that area well will reply soon about how to treat areas there but one point for now - the solution is never "name, Leeds". The form in the UK is "name (Leeds)".
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
This bit of the uk wiki might point you in the right direction

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... Kingdom%29

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
dknight212
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Leeds is a special case that doesn't conform to the standards. Partly for historical reasons, and partly because "Leeds" is not a county and brackets don't seem appropriate. I happen to think that it looks better with a comma too, and would like to stick with it for now.

When I first started editing Leeds, the naming was a real mess and most of it was in the city of "Leeds". I've been slowly chipping away at the edges to limit "Leeds" to just the center(ish), but there's a long way to go yet. Haven't yet decided where to stop, but it'll probably be around where the inner motorway starts.

I've not used any particular set of borders for naming the old towns/districts, and I don't think it's necessary to get them perfect. Wikipedia is a reasonably useful for this, as is OS Open Data. You can see from the City layer what size areas I was working towards. Don't worry about gaps either, as Waze will happily report incidents 'between X and Y'.

Places like Rawdon and Otley can probably drop their Leeds suffix however, as they are reasonably separated from the megalopolis. Check uniqueness of town names at http://www.gazetteer.co.uk.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries