Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by doctorkb
invented: please look through the previous conversation.

The "Freeway" type is a little loose in interpretation for Canada -- if it's a significant highway and meets most of the US criteria (but not necessarily all), it may be worth of a "Freeway" designation.

And yes, the TCH will be locked at Level 5 once one of us CMs have had an opportunity to address it. It's too major of a route to risk being damaged by a lower-level editor.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Spil wrote:
james8970 wrote:Furthermore, as doctorkb and I have displayed by our response time here, I think both of us are pretty available and prompt to deal with any errors that may suddenly need to be addressed.
James
I'm grateful for that as well ... it wasn't easy being about the only CM that actively addressed Canadian unlock requests (especially since I'm not Canadian -- thanks for not holding that against me ;) :lol: ). I'm glad that some of you have now stepped up (or stepped back in ;)) to help your fellow countrymen, especially since I haven't been as active in the last month or two. :oops:
:)

Well, both James & I got our Level 5 in 2013 -- so we're relatively fresh (and keen!)...

It seems as though a lot of US Level 5s don't have editing rights in Canada (or they don't know that they do)... but since you've put in such a valiant effort to help your brothers and sisters to the north, I think we can declare you an honourary Canadian! Just make sure you spell it with a 'u'. :)
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
jasonh300 wrote:Spil is the only US editor who has CM rights in Canada that I know of.
I thought I read in the level section of the wiki that the CM rights were granted for the entire server -- so Canadian Level 5's had CM rights on the US, and vice-versa. Do we need to clarify that in the wiki, or are you certain that you can't edit in Canada?
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
jasonh300 wrote:CM rights are for the country you live in only, unless you're granted the other country, which was the case for Spil because he lives on the border.
Ok, so we should revise this:
Once you reach 200K map edits, you can separately request through the support group that you be granted country wide editing rights for the server on which you participate. This is not a separate editing rank, but the old rank system used that term to refer to country managers (CM).
On this page http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Poin ... iting_rank

Any ideas how to best phrase this?
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
I'm open to discussing this, but I want to put something out there right now:
The US street type definitions must NOT be held as hard-and-fast rules in Canada.

Hwy 17 from the Manitoba border to its junction with Hwy 71 is *the* most major highway between those two points (latitudinally). I see no way in which that point could be argued -- from that point, it's one of two significant highways until you reach Thunder Bay.

I suppose, we could argue that Hwy 71 / 11 needs the Freeway, but 17 doesn't. Or perhaps vice versa, but it stands to reason that there should be a Freeway-designated hwy throughout that distance. Especially as long as we have other "Major Highways" on the map that we don't even have named...
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
If you want to get right down to it, an alternate definition for freeway is that it doesn't charge tolls.

In this area of Ontario, it is the closest thing to a freeway.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
invented wrote:Well here's an eye-opener: the TCH just piggybacks onto other provincial routes east of the Manitoba border. If the road type is not a freeway, it should not be a Freeway type.
Typical eastern-Canada perspective. Let's make a highway that cross the nation from sea to shining sea... but we're going to slack off for our part so we don't have to pay as much.
Huh? Hwy 407 ETR is (one of?) the most expensive freeways in North America.

Most tollways/turnpikes in the US seem to be of Freeway type as well, being that they are freeways.
Well, from m-w.com:
free·way noun \ˈfrē-ˌwā\

Definition of FREEWAY
1: an expressway with fully controlled access
2: a highway without toll fees
How 'bout them apples? Seems we can, by definition 2, call nearly any highway a freeway (if there's no toll) and, for the most part, the toll ones can fit under definition 1.

So... would you put this to rest already? It's the most (only?) major route in that section of the province. It deserves freeway classification on those grounds alone.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
I suppose that's your opinion, and you're welcome to it.

James & I both agree that it should be marked a Freeway at this time... and unless someone else cares enough to get in this discussion, it seems majority wins and it stays a Freeway.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
invented wrote:
doctorkb wrote:I suppose that's your opinion, and you're welcome to it.

James & I both agree that it should be marked a Freeway at this time... and unless someone else cares enough to get in this discussion, it seems majority wins and it stays a Freeway.
It doesn't even matter in bumf*ck Northwestern Ontario where it's the only King's Highway around, Waze would be hard pressed to route you onto anything else. Try that crap in the GTA and see what happens. :lol:
We aren't talking about the GTA. But from what you just called that area of your own province, it seems to me that you're interested in having everyone else conform to your ways. Sad to say, it ain't gonna happen today.

And yes, if we made it a private road, waze would route people around it unless it was in the first or last 10km of their route. :P
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by erablian
scirocco84 wrote:Also, regarding range and township roads. Some counties have different naming conventions for them. Range road xxx, range road xx-x and range xx - road x. Range xx-road x is technically the correct way they should all be written. My questions is, should we be keeping them all consistent by leaving them as displayed on the map (range road xxx) or changing them all to range xx-road x. Or the third option, marking them on the map as they are displayed in each respective county?
Any thoughts?
Their names on the map should match the style each particular county uses on their signs, but I would not make it a high priority.

Also we should (eventually) rename all Alberta highways from "xx Highway" to "Hwy xx", to match how Albertans actually call them. I am sure many users are momentarily confused when they hear directions to turn onto "xx Highway".
erablian
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///b4c5Sh[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]