City and County Naming - New Zealand

[ img ]

Moderators: lizcrime, ispyisail

Re: City and County Naming - New Zealand

Postby pcp192 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 am

ispyisail wrote:I've been editing rural northland roads for our trial.

In going to suggest that the "city field" should only be used in 50km speed zones e.g. urban areas (including motorways)

e.g.

Ruawai

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=1&l ... FFTFTTTTFT

This still makes no sense to me at all. Looking at your example of Ruawai I do not see any benefit in leaving the city field blank for all those roads. You've also broken your own proposed rule with this road which is mostly in a 50 (or in part 70) km/h speed limit area. https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat=-36.1336&lon=174.0313&layers=BFTTFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=163654589

One of the goals in creating a standard was to aid in searching and this will only make searching more difficult. Take Tramline Rd - right now if I do a search I get two, one in Ruawai and one in Patetonga. Once your latest update in Ruawai is applied that will appear as Tramline Rd with no city. If both Tramline Rds have no city how will anyone know which one to pick?
Capture.JPG
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ispyisail » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:19 am

I've been editing rural northland roads for our trial.

In going to suggest that the "city field" should only be used in 50km speed zones e.g. urban areas (including motorways)

e.g.

Ruawai

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=1&l ... FFTFTTTTFT
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby nzhook » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 am

Not a bad way of handling it, it simplifies it a bit more which in turn lessons the chance of a new user not knowing.

How many of the towns/cities would we want to include on the map at that level dont have a state highway running thru them?

Its still also based on the city layer showing as expected, it would however reduce the size of a city and may in some cases put the centre in the wrong place (eg. if a state highway is pulls away before the centre) but as long as its not a major discrepancy it probably wouldnt be too noticeable.
nzhook

Postby pcp192 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 am

Something that occurred me while driving around town today is that's sometimes hard to determine where a traffic report is located given that the road name will often show something like "Southern Motorway, Auckland". It's very hard to tell which part of the motorway is effected. We'd have the same problem on longer Primary Streets to if they are all named with Auckland as the city field. e.g. Gt South Road runs all the way from Newmarket to Bombay - not very helpful if it's called Auckland from one end to the other.

ispyisail wrote:Are you wanting the suburb names to disappear when only primary streets and above are visible?

yes

that is the whole point

I think Auckland being a bigger city will be effected more by this than Whangarei or New Plymouth. If I zoom out on the client to the point where only Primary and above are visible, I still want to see the suburbs. It's no good having just 'Auckland' at that level. Why not take it up a level and leave Auckland on the Highways (both types) so that this effect is only visible once all 'streets' disappear? Do we know if that would be the outcome if we do that?
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby nzhook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 pm

ispyisail wrote:-fixes zoom problem (until recently when you zoomed out bulls was more bigger than Wellington)

Was this because someone changed the City name or clicked No City? Thats why I like using the No City option, the cities look more accurate in size that what Waze determines based on the City field.
nzhook

Postby nzhook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 pm

ispyisail wrote:
Are you wanting the suburb names to disappear when only primary streets and above are visible?

yes

that is the whole point

I do like the idea of only having something like Whangarei show up at the higher zoom levels, and then as you zoom down it starts showing suburbs. But until we know its working like this, I think we need to keep it simple and can change it later. (which is why I suggested we leave Whangarei as is, we could also leave New Plymouth like it and see if ether updates as expected - since they seem to be on different update schedules)

On a side note, once we have a method, im thinking of writing a userscript to do most of the work, eg. have a field for City and a field for Suburb, and the script can put the alt entry in, and if we change the process later the script could then update the segment (that part Id have to think about how when we get there tho). But we really do need to have some rules on what we are doing.
nzhook

Postby ispyisail » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Are you wanting the suburb names to disappear when only primary streets and above are visible?

yes

that is the whole point
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby ispyisail » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 am

Most of the reasoning has all ready been posted in detail.

summary

-fixes zoom problem (until recently when you zoomed out bulls was more bigger than Wellington)
-makes the map look nice
-and you still have the ability to navigate

At the end of the day because of the design of waze you can do what you want.

I going to suggest that change is already happening in this direction.
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby ispyisail » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:11 am

e.g. St Heliers Bay Rd, St Heliers, Auckland.
- Primary City name - St Heliers
- Alt City Name - Auckland
Where a long road passes through multiple Suburbs, the name should change accordingly along the length of the road.

this depends on the street type

the above statement is true if its a street

but its a primary or above its the other way round

- Primary City name - Auckland
- Alt City Name - St Heliers

as per

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/New_ ... ityLabelNZ
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby pcp192 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:04 am

Agreed, although we really need to work out what we are trying to achieve, as theres multiple different things that we are trying to address.
- Display of Urban areas
- Searching Urban areas
- Display of Rural areas
- Searching Rural areas

Yes - defining the requirement is essential and this is a good summary.

I believe we are all now in agreement on naming in urban areas:

In urban areas, the Primary city field is used to define the city, town or suburb name of where the street is. The central CBD area of a city should be named using the City name. On the client and live map, this will show the City name in the CBD with suburb names appropriately placed around the city.
The alternate City field is used to aid in searching to ensure the road can be found using either the city or suburb in the search string.

e.g. St Heliers Bay Rd, St Heliers, Auckland.
- Primary City name - St Heliers
- Alt City Name - Auckland
Where a long road passes through multiple Suburbs, the name should change accordingly along the length of the road.

I've left the rural one out for now as I think we should confirm agreement on this first.
I'd suggest running a poll using the forum which it can do, but it seems I don't have permission to setup a Poll - do any of you have that capability?

So far there's only a small number of people actively contributing to the discussion so perhaps a poll is a good way to get more input as well. Either way, anyone reading this, please feel free to submit your ideas and views on the above.
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand