City and County Naming - New Zealand

Moderators: Unholy, amitbena, ps_au, ispyisail

Postby pcp192 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 am

Ispy, can you explain clearly what the benefit is of using the method you've proposed?
I'm not trying to be difficult here, just wanting to get a concise explanation to ensure the reasoning is clearly understood.
Image Image
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: City and County Naming - New Zealand

Postby ispyisail » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 am

Most of the reasoning has all ready been posted in detail.

summary

-fixes zoom problem (until recently when you zoomed out bulls was more bigger than Wellington)
-makes the map look nice
-and you still have the ability to navigate

At the end of the day because of the design of waze you can do what you want.

I going to suggest that change is already happening in this direction.
New Zealand and Papua New Guinea Country Manager
ImageImageImage
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby pcp192 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 am

As you zoom out, what is the desired effect?
Are you wanting the suburb names to disappear when only primary streets and above are visible?
If not, how will the behaviour differ to having the suburb names on all primary streets as well?

Have you tested both to be sure of the outcome?

Are you wanting the map to look like the St Louis example?
Image Image
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ispyisail » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Are you wanting the suburb names to disappear when only primary streets and above are visible?

yes

that is the whole point
ImageImageImage
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby nzhook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 pm

ispyisail wrote:

yes

that is the whole point

I do like the idea of only having something like Whangarei show up at the higher zoom levels, and then as you zoom down it starts showing suburbs. But until we know its working like this, I think we need to keep it simple and can change it later. (which is why I suggested we leave Whangarei as is, we could also leave New Plymouth like it and see if ether updates as expected - since they seem to be on different update schedules)

On a side note, once we have a method, im thinking of writing a userscript to do most of the work, eg. have a field for City and a field for Suburb, and the script can put the alt entry in, and if we change the process later the script could then update the segment (that part Id have to think about how when we get there tho). But we really do need to have some rules on what we are doing.
Area Manager - Taranaki, New Zealand
Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830) - Gingerbread (Andriod 2.3.5)
New Zealand - Waze Client Beta Tester
nzhook

Postby nzhook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 pm

ispyisail wrote:-fixes zoom problem (until recently when you zoomed out bulls was more bigger than Wellington)

Was this because someone changed the City name or clicked No City? Thats why I like using the No City option, the cities look more accurate in size that what Waze determines based on the City field.
nzhook

Postby pcp192 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 am

Something that occurred me while driving around town today is that's sometimes hard to determine where a traffic report is located given that the road name will often show something like "Southern Motorway, Auckland". It's very hard to tell which part of the motorway is effected. We'd have the same problem on longer Primary Streets to if they are all named with Auckland as the city field. e.g. Gt South Road runs all the way from Newmarket to Bombay - not very helpful if it's called Auckland from one end to the other.

ispyisail wrote:Are you wanting the suburb names to disappear when only primary streets and above are visible?

yes

that is the whole point

I think Auckland being a bigger city will be effected more by this than Whangarei or New Plymouth. If I zoom out on the client to the point where only Primary and above are visible, I still want to see the suburbs. It's no good having just 'Auckland' at that level. Why not take it up a level and leave Auckland on the Highways (both types) so that this effect is only visible once all 'streets' disappear? Do we know if that would be the outcome if we do that?
Image Image
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby nzhook » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 am

Not a bad way of handling it, it simplifies it a bit more which in turn lessons the chance of a new user not knowing.

How many of the towns/cities would we want to include on the map at that level dont have a state highway running thru them?

Its still also based on the city layer showing as expected, it would however reduce the size of a city and may in some cases put the centre in the wrong place (eg. if a state highway is pulls away before the centre) but as long as its not a major discrepancy it probably wouldnt be too noticeable.
nzhook

Postby finshona » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Agreed. Finally a consensus where cities are concerned. Lock it in on the wiki. So highway have the city names entered. Primary streets and below will use the suburb name.

Shall we start a new thread for arguing oops I mean discussing rural road rules. Lol
finshona

Postby ispyisail » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:19 am

I've been editing rural northland roads for our trial.

In going to suggest that the "city field" should only be used in 50km speed zones e.g. urban areas (including motorways)

e.g.

Ruawai

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=1&l ... FFTFTTTTFT
ImageImageImage
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand