The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by bgodette
TonyG-UK wrote:
shirlig wrote: * UK and US now using imperial system in speed cams
This raises a few questions, due to the way the client actually processes speed camera information.
  • In what unit is the information sent to the client?
  • Have you fixed the client to process these properly?
It's unitless. The only thing that's changed is the text while editing the camera is now mph instead of kph for the UK and US. That was a large part of the confusion about speed cameras. The client would alert by just comparing the unitless number vs the displayed speedometer (which is either kph or mph) also as a unitless number.

This if course is a bit of an issue for people crossing the border between the US and Canada or Mexico, or
UK<>France as the client doesn't automatically switch displayed units for the speedometer.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
wpegues wrote:Another thing that I have noticed with this editor is that when using "SELECT ENTIRE STREET" (especially useful when many segments of the street is the wrong type, has the wrong state label or is listed as 1-way when not) after making the corrections and then saving the LEVEL has a very high chance of having changed all on its own.
Not really bug, the level, speed, etc, aren't actually being changed and this has been covered many many times in this thread.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
shawndoc wrote:Just an update, I went back to two of them and turned the city layer on. It looks like there's either a smudge, or just the way Waze handles city borders, doesn't like the curvy twisty borders that sometimes crop up where multiple cities merge together.

I'll need to poke around later, as well as try to figure out what the official border lines are.

If anyone has a resource for finding the exact city borders in California cities, I'd appreciate it. (Real borders, not mailing address/zip code borders, which often don't match the actual city limits)
Update: Here's a city zoning map from one of the cities, to give you an idea of how messy things are in this area.
https://www.cityofindustry.org/pdf/zoningmap.pdf
Try MapQuest.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Apparently it's not possible to edit Alternate street names unless a non-empty Primary street is set. This presents a minor issue when trying to clear smudges caused by alternate street names. The workaround is to set a primary name (use a nearby street so you don't create a new street object), apply, edit again to remove the alternate(s), and clear the primary name again.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
bz2012 wrote:Can't you add another Alternate name that IS correct and then delete the one that is wrong?
Only after added a primary Street is applied. It's a WME UI prohibition.

In addition alternates don't show state or country information even tho that is part of the City (object) the Street (object) references. So smudges across states and/or countries can exist in the alternates and it's not directly visible as such in WME.

Updating WMECH include that info for the alternate list should be straight forward and I'll be doing so to my own fork this weekend.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It appears that WME will pull the correct CItyID from the primary segment even if other same-name-incorrect-cityid exists in the current location.
Except when it isn't.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... s=62639276
The alternate Street is "Main St" in "Westlake, Other, United States". The primaryStreetID is "Main St" in "Westlake, Ohio, United States". A bunch of this stuff is likely leftover damage from Cartouche, but the problem is, is if there was *no* primaryStreetID, the alternates are uneditable in WME until one is added. Fortunately that can all be done without intermediate saves.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:What I'm saying is that when the primary street exists and you add an alternate, WME appears to pick the same CityID as the primary.
Which is how it works now. Does nothing for fixing the damage done by Cartouche in the past, and being unable to see what state+country the alternates belong to is a bit of an annoyance.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
ArlenBystander wrote:I spent a bit of time earlier today going through the automated route deviation errors in my editable area. Most of them were errors that had already been fixed (routing onto alleys that were probably set as Service Road instead of Parking Lot or incorrect 1-way/2-way roads). I did, however come across more than one that needed to be fixed so can see this being useful once the reports from old data are cleared.
Makes you think of how many of the "General Errors" with no description and there route was cut off so you couldn't tell what the problem was were cleared. Now Waze shows us better routes thru errors. I would say more than half I cleared South of Chicago, I found the error.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
This is crazy! It must see or think this is in a different city. I've cleared 250 of these new system errors. I think I fixed 10 of them. Feel like I'm wasting my time. Wasn't even soft turns in this area.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by bz2012
Most of the automatic errors I have seen are crazy!

Most show WAZE routing people down single segments that terminate in a proper node.

For some strange reason, people tend to continue down the highway they were driving on, rather than turning down the dead end stub and WAZE complains about that! :)

I can't see any reason that WAZE tried to route them down the small side road, especially when it dead ends immediately.

I have also seen a strange new tendency for WME to 'fast scroll' in the direction I have been dragging the map if I don't 'drop' the map quickly.

Rather annoying!

Then there is a lot of 'oh snap!' when WME gets lost while updating data and crashes.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message