Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

What to do with neighborhood like this?

Post by taddison1
I've come across numerous residential areas like this with lots of soft red arrows and false one-way and unknown direction streets (Shift-Z is turned on here). Is it best practice to clean these up by hitting QW on the nodes and setting streets to 2-way (assuming I'm sure that the streets aren't really one-way), or is it best to leave it alone and hope that Waze eventually fixes them itself or generates UR's?

I'm thinking that Waze won't generate very efficient directions through this neighborhood until it's cleaned up.
Capture2.JPG
(143.17 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
taddison1
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:11226991

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Usually, anything restricted like this within actual residential areas can be changed to allow all, but you do need to be very careful. I have some intersections in residential areas which do have actual turn restrictions and anyone hitting 'w' on these junctions will screw them up. That is why I sometimes find it necessary lock these down at my editing level. You should see by whom and how recently some of those nearby segments were updated and be careful with those edited more recently and/or by level 4 and 5 editors.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
taddison1 wrote:I see a lot of similar problems (soft-red turns, one-way streets, unknown direction) in rural areas, where the effect on navigation can be much worse, often routing the user 10's of miles out of their way.
Soft turns are soft because they are not showing as allowed, but they actually are allowed. That's what is meant by "soft." They are part of the basemap import where even though all roads were initially Unknown Direction and all turns "restricted," Waze would still routing you along the roads and in any direction it deemed necessary at junctions.

See road maps history for additional info on that stuff.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
I agree that the answer to your question is that it is better to carefully eliminate the soft restrictions and set the proper direction of the streets than it is to leave things alone and hope that the automated processes fix things or correct things as URs highlight issues.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by croniac
A little disclaimer before I explain how I handle things like this...

Waze user agreement says you can't use Google Maps data. That means you can't directly import their data. However, you can use it as a reference...

Its well known that we don't do things in Waze simply because google does, because Waze works differently... HOWEVER...

In Neighborhoods you're not personally familiar with, Google Street view can be really handy for getting a look at an intersection in first person, and looking for OneWay signs, or No U-Turn signs, etc. And this falls under the exemption in the Waze rules which does allow you to use other maps as 'reference' as long as you're not directly importing their data.. Thus, they give a picture, you refer to the picture, and you get the answer.

So.. Look in Google street view, if the street is definitely one way, then set the turns and streets accordingly.

Also, you can often find photos of specific intersections via other sources as well, but in all cases, you need to be aware that the photo might not be recent. The signs could have changed just yesterday. But its a good way to get an idea how a neighborhood actually works at the street level.
croniac
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Area Manager North Los Angeles Co. and Ventura County California.

Post by Daknife
That image == points. basically it looks like the area is the basemap import slightly improved by GPS tracks with little to no actual editing. Or maybe someone set directionality on the roads but did nothing with turns. As Alan said, be careful to look for actual on way roads and turn restrictions but most of those intersections you can qw and fix.

A city that looks like that gives very odd routings, sending people stair stepping and looping around the back side of blocks. A cleaned up city routes smoothly and accurately (depending on Bing map coordinates).
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by ice_9
Shift z. Wow! That is a lot of work to do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
ice_9
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
Those are "soft turns". I'm not sure where it is described in the wiki but when an intersection is first created, all turns are assumed to be restricted until traffic breaks that assumption. You can leave them and Waze will eventually learn what's really allowed, or you can QW all of them and get a few points.
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by taddison1
I agree that care is needed, especially at junctions with a primary street where there may be a median or other reasons for turn restrictions.

This particular neighborhood is mostly unedited since the base map import.

I see a lot of similar problems (soft-red turns, one-way streets, unknown direction) in rural areas, where the effect on navigation can be much worse, often routing the user 10's of miles out of their way.
taddison1
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message