The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by jabou
Thanks, yep works fine with chrome
jabou
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
jabou
wazer sur iPhone 5s, éditeur sur MacOS et W7, AM en région parisienne, en Haute-Savoie et dans le Var

Post by jasonh300
olestas wrote:New automated wrong route report is almost useless as I see it. It gives too short routes.. impossible to understand what happened there.
Without final destination its useless.
Having closed several hundred of these in the Beta program over the past couple of months, I've come to find that if they show up in an urban, heavily trafficked area, where a lot of turn instructions are likely to come in a short distance, they're very helpful. In a rural area, they're much less useful, because if the reason for ignoring the turn instruction is several segments away, it could be anywhere in a radius of a few miles. In the urban setting, that radius is small and likely visible on the screen without even zooming out.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The new method of zooming in and leaving the nasty pixelated version of the previous viewport is very distracting. The images sometimes stay onscreen like this between 3-10 seconds, which is way too long. It's as if WME code changed as well as caching algorithms as the road layer image loading is very poor now. Before the Dec 19 release, this type of image was almost never seen. Now, it's every zoom. And, this was never tested in beta. Please stop releasing untested code.
I keep getting images that look like someone spray painted the roads on. Any redrawing after a major zoom in or zoom out takes forever and often requires a reload just to get things to load.

On Zoom Out
zoomout.jpg
(10.27 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
30 seconds later
30 seconds later.jpg
(56.07 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Spray paint effect on zoom in.
spraypaint.jpg
(52.49 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
ETA: Several minutes later...it just gave up on that one Bing tile.
several minutes later.jpg
(109.48 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Another thing about these new MPs. They were visible to everyone in the sandbox prior to them even being released in the Beta (early November). It's possible that some editors, like me, started working on them before they hit the regular editor, but had no way of closing them in the sandbox.

In the above example by dbrightwell, it looks like aeroseek(3) deleted the offending road on November 21. There's no way of knowing if the problem generated after the road was deleted, or if it was already there, but invisible to most users and has since been fixed.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
wpegues wrote:If that is true, why can I go back after not just a few minutes, but the next day and find that the level is not the '0' that it originally was, and why can I find it from others that were days later that is doing the same thing.
You aren't using the "bridge" function to eliminate extra junctions, are you?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The bridge icon will only appear when you select two adjacent segments with the exact same properties, and neither road has Unknown direction. If they're crossing over another road, such as in the case of a bridge, it would be desirable for the road you're bridging to raise a level. However, if you select two adjacent segments and click Bridge just for the purpose of deleting the extra junction, it will also raise a level, which is undesirable.

In the past 2 weeks, I've been doing a lot of editing like you describe where I'm converting a lot of rural areas from Unknown direction or one-way to two-way, and Selecting All to do it, and I haven't found one instance where the road level changed from 0. Although at this point I'm going to go back and check a little closer.

See if you can find a clean area where everything is currently at 0 and do the Select All, change to two-way or whatever and see if you can duplicate it and post a permlink.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
olestas wrote:Another thing about newcomers:
almost every week someone new comes to edit maps, and most of them draw road segments without editing CITY/STREET part. That leaves all road segments RED and UNUSABLE, and they do not understand that. I am tired of PMing every new editor with explanation how to edit roads so they work. One user edited whole city with new roads and also changed existing... and all where red - without CITY/STREET edited.
Just make so newly drawn segments have either none/none there or are not allowed to be finished without editing the fields.
There's no way to make a red road out of an existing road. If this happened, then the new user probably deleted streets and redrew them. We recently banned a user here for doing that.

What needs to happen is that the editor should give an error if you attempt to save a road that hasn't had the city and street filled or the No City/No Street checkboxes checked.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
olestas wrote:As I understood, red roads do not appear on map at all and are unusable.
I did some testing with some red roads yesterday. Some appear in the client and some do not. I don't know why some do.

The ones I found are not routable.

Either way, allowing them to remain encourages lazy editing. A new editor will never learn to edit properly if they're allowed to draw a bunch of useless incomplete roads and then just walk away.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
vectorspace wrote:After some time using the new editor, I've noticed a benign bug that seems to lock up functionality until the browser is reloaded. Sorry if this has already been reported, but I didn't see anything in a quick scan.

I usually use Chrome under Windows XP or W7. When I am editing, sometimes the editor functionality seems to become unresponsive. For instance, when I highlight a road, then the road details will not display in the left window area. Sometimes when they do display, when I try to edit a road, the country field will be blank and editable. Nothing is available to select. Same for other fields.

This can happen with a fresh editor screen after a save, but it usually can happen after a number of edits that still need to be saved. One can save the edits already made. At that point, I have to reload the browser to overcome the issue.

Thanks!
Known issue that's been around for a little while. Turn off the Landmarks layer while editing and that problem goes away.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Twister_UK wrote:Have the segment colours changed with the latest iteration of the editor (thinking about the recent change to the International editor, which has only just gone over to the new typeface etc. that the US editor has had for a while), because whilst doing some recent editing work on segments designated as "Major Highway", it looks as if the red used for this type of segment has darkened down a bit.
I remember noticing a difference in the red used in the NA Cartouche and the NA WME. From the little that I've seen of the Intl WME, the font used to look the same as our font looked in Cartouche, and it's possible that your Major Highways had the Cartouche red that we no longer have here.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message