Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by gettingthere
WOW - just took a closer look. Tons of detail.

How much time did you spend on this so far? Impressive!

Per my last post, if we can somehow figure out how to give some basic information to new editors without making it overwhelming into they get a chance to dive in, that would be great. Maybe a section titled 'for new editors' 'getting started' etc. Very simple, but with links to more information in the editing manual that open in a new tab.

Just a suggestion.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:With the recently posted cameras info from Krankyd, which is really a repost of what Nir had posted a couple (a few?) weeks ago, I am just now starting on the Cameras details page which will give more information than the Map Editor Interface and Controls page.
When working on this, maybe refer to what Krankyd refers to as the azimuth as the lens direction to make it easier to understand :) 'Point the lens of the camera photo towards the direction of traffic that is being photographed.'
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
The Wiki is shaping up nicely! I am sure in the near future is going to be fantastic.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by GizmoGuy411
Nice job Alan. This was much needed now that pap is the default engine.

For some reason I could not login to the Wiki from my iPad to edit a couple of things. I'll try to do it from PC later.

Was also thinking that the Shift-click for zooming and the shift for Roundabouts should prob be in the main shortcut area and detailed more in the hints.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
Trying to kick around another way to describe the m, a, s, and shift-a shortcuts to better instruct that they are toggle commands from the default edit mode, more concisely than the m command describes the toggle.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by HandofMadness
I'd like to suggest adding a section for common errors that are NOT map related, but get reported as such.
- Wrong GPS coordinates for an address
- Waze wanting you to turn right then make a U, instead of turning left
- Toll roads
- U-turns on non-split roads
- Gas station information being wrong

Seems these questions come up quite a bit in the forums, especially the address/GPS coordinates problem. And instead of typing a lengthily answer explaining how the different service providers (Bing, Google, YP) are the one providing Waze with the GPS coordinates, not street addresses, and how Waze uses that for routing and who to contact to fix the problems, we can just reply by linking to the Wiki entry.

Some of these are in the Wiki in different places, some aren't (or at least I can't find them), but it would be nice if they were all in one place.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
xteejx wrote:Why is a toll road not a map problem?
Until they add support in the client for toll road avoidance into the client, its not a map problem. Right now, whether the road is flagged as a toll road or not, the routing treats toll roads just like any other.

I get plenty of UR's every week near the toll roads complaining that they're toll roads. They're flagged as such, but the fact Waze it routing on to them is not something that can be correct in the map.

(Unless something has just recently changed?)
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Ah ok, well my point still stands on the NA server and most of the rest of the world. ;)
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
And what percentage of NA users have manually edited editing their config file? I'm guessing <1%.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HM3USN_USMC
May be a stupid question, but I drive all around Nashville Tennessee using Waze for the past 17 months.

How can I become a map editor? Specifically, I'm level 1. How do I get to level 3?
HM3USN_USMC
Send a message