Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Weather hazard: Ice

Post by outdoordad
We get more freezing rain than snow out in the Pacific Northwest. It would be nice to have a button to note where there are ice patches.
outdoordad

POSTER_ID:5956697

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You can post more options, including ice using voice-activated hazard reporting.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm sure there are 4-5 threads requesting ice. Again, you can report, but only via voice command at this time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
One person recently suggested that we get rid of all the various options, and replace them all with "slippery road" or "reduced traction" or something like that. It covers all sorts of things like gravel, oil, ice, etc.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Daknife
thefoxbox wrote:
OutdoorDad wrote:This would be really helpful when you encounter black ice. You never see it coming until your on it. Any advanced warning from those ahead would be greatly appreciated.
I think Ice/Black Ice would be a great option to have as one of the four listed. Get rid of Snow. Snow isn't a dangerous situation, but Ice is.
Depends on how much, and whether or not it's been plowed/salted/sanded anytime recently.

Snow can indeed be a significant hazard. And it can be a very localized. I used to drive to work along a road that is next to open fields, I enjoyed the road as it was fun to plow through the drifts that always form and reform quite quickly. But I drive a truck. I pulled more than a couple cars (and a couple trucks) out of the drifts and out of the ditches there. It's not so important now as there is now a newer faster and better plowed hwy to take people around that road, but I would certainly put a snow warning on that road every day there is snow on the ground if I were still driving that route.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by foxfoxfoxfoxfox
OutdoorDad wrote:This would be really helpful when you encounter black ice. You never see it coming until your on it. Any advanced warning from those ahead would be greatly appreciated.
I think Ice/Black Ice would be a great option to have as one of the four listed. Get rid of Snow. Snow isn't a dangerous situation, but Ice is.
foxfoxfoxfoxfox
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:One person recently suggested that we get rid of all the various options, and replace them all with "slippery road" or "reduced traction" or something like that. It covers all sorts of things like gravel, oil, ice, etc.
As a user I would prefer to have them separate. When I was driving at 3 mph down I-87 during a snow storm the other evening and I was getting reports of -"snow ahead" I laughed - ya think? But if I had seen "ice ahead" or gravel I would have been grateful for the detailed information.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by outdoordad
This would be really helpful when you encounter black ice. You never see it coming until your on it. Any advanced warning from those ahead would be greatly appreciated.
outdoordad
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
There is a limit to the number of items that can be put on the menu. I've suggested to Waze that we make this menu user definable... though you will find there are a lot more report types if you use the voice command to report it.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png