Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Mark Traffic Patterns

Post by coryabooth
I was thinking, it would be useful to allow map editors to identify specific sections of road that drop below the speed limit at designated times.

For example, say everyday from 3pm to 5pm this 5 mile stretch of highway always backs up.

Allow user's to mark the stretch as commonly backs up.

This anticipated effect would be, it would prevent Waze from asking everyone to report traffic jams, thus cause repeated icons and notification for something everyone would probably already be expecting anyways.
coryabooth

POSTER_ID:10896833

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Waze doesn't color normal traffic but colors slower-than-normal traffic. You can usually see the road color, and the speed marker is always visible. There's no need to color stuff going at normal speed.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Speed limits are only a nice-to-have feature. Waze works with real traffic data, so regardless of what a segment's speed limit may be, Waze works off of what the limit really is at any given time of day. I also would seriously hate to see every single segment on the entire map colored mostly green, with sprinklings of red, orange and yellow. It would be a horrible mess and would be pointless. And actual speed relative to speed limit is a useless data point. What is useful and actionable data, however is actual speed relative to expected speed that time of day.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
wickedlou9 wrote:I assume it was because Waze knows there is normally traffic on that road so it didn't alert me?
Yes. Traffic patterns are captured in what we've been told are 10-minute intervals for all days of the week.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mikeholczer wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Use navigation and stop making the decision yourself! This isn't Google Maps.
Being able to see which segments Waze knows about the traffic conditions on and which it doesn't let's the user decide if the navigation should be trusted.
Just because a road is red and traveling 14mph doesn't mean it isn't the best routing option. So, just because a nav system sends you there doesn't mean it shouldn't be trusted.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
The one thing that would be nice with map colored green with sprinklings of red, orange and yellow, would be the knowledge of which segments have realtime data. Color would mean that the segment has realtime data. I agree that this would not be the best way to disseminate this information, but it would be useful information to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I agree that if the traffic marking are based on average speeds, then it would make sense to mark roads that are going faster than normal.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by cybertesla
I'll have to back up his point here. At least once I've been in a hurry and was surprised to see that Waze didn't have certain sections of road marked as slow. At that time of day I would have expected them both backed-up and driven through by Waze users. However, since there was no color marking I assumed it was clear. When I got there I found it backed up and ended up taking longer to get to destination than I would have on an alternate route. Green to indicate normal speed would be great. But perhaps it should be limited to Minor Highways or larger roads.
cybertesla
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
But if it was normal speeds at a time you expect it to be busy then you'd get green for a traffic jam!
Always use navigation and then you don't need to worry what colour the segments are!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Depends what you class as normal. Normal at peak times might be 10mph. I don't want the extra colour because it's superfluous if you're using the app properly and I'd rather it didn't become flooded with a myriad of extra colours!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status