If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Location of my current position on the map

Post by
Is there a setting that changes the location of my current position (be it in the icon of an arrow, car, etc.) on the map? It's always at the dead center of the screen, but for navigation purposes, having my current position in the dead center on the map is not really convenient. Especially in the 3D map, your destination is displayed above the current position. That means putting the current position somewhere in the lower part of the screen creates more real estate for upcoming roads. That what dedicated GPS units and their mobile app versions almost always do.

POSTER_ID:13125985

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Post your device/os info. Maybe post a screenshot. ios, for example always has your location at the bottom part of the screen.

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Newtonite wrote:Attached is a screen capture of Waze at work. The car icon moves down a little from the dead center during navigation, but not by much. It certainly doesn't go as far down as to just above the two menu buttons.

Is this an Android issue?
Based on your screenshot, the car icon is at about 1/3 of the way up, which is where it should be IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
North-up will still track the car, but not in the normal manner. I guess I've never noticed that the vehicle may center in north-up follow mode. Maybe they have that by design.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
But in that screenshot waze is not locked to your current position. That is why the "crosshairs" button on the left of the screen is showing. The arrow should be moving up the map rather than the map moving around the arrow at the time that screenshot was taken.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Hmm, I'm using a Motorola phone with ICS as well and that's not how waze is behaving for me. I have "Display map controls on tap" under "Advanced" checked on. I'm operating heading up, not north up. Do you have "Display map controls on tap" off and are you operating north up. I might try these settings and see what happens.

Edit: just playing around inside, whenever I tap the crosshair icon to center the map on my location, the north up seems to turn off. Could this be another issue with the poor north up implementation?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'll try to remember to try north up tonight and see if this happens for me as well.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree as well. I did use north up last night in 2D. I had to hit the north up button a few times before the car icon would stay centered in the map (however the crosshair icon remained on the screen).

However, when I moved after I stopped and the pop-ups popped up, the car icon reverted to the third of the way up position that heading up uses, the crosshair icon disappeared, and the north-up button lost its N. But the map continued to move around the car icon and remained north-up. Surprisingly, is was persistent for my entire drive.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
With no GPS lock a circular 'target' marks the approximate position just below the centre of the screen.
When a lock is acquired, your position moves to the bottom of the screen, just above the two menu buttons in 3d mode.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Kuhlkatz
Newtonite wrote:
When a lock is acquired, your position moves to the bottom of the screen, just above the two menu buttons in 3d mode.
No.
This is true for 3d mode as stated. As Alan mentioned, the position for 2d mode is also correct, which is about 1/3 up the screen.

Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius

Post by Kuhlkatz
Even though I never use the North-up display myself, I tried it just for this one.
Having your position centered on the display makes sense in this mode as that provides the most real estate in this mode as you could be facing or driving in any direction.

I can also see why most people complain about not having this as a fixed menu option, since it insists on switching modes every now and again.
My phone is usually on the seat, pinned between my legs and not in a dash mount where it prompts a visit from the nearest smash & grab 'agent'. This likely causes the mode reset too, as even touches through my pants on the screen edges seem to register sometimes.

Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius