Post by jmp316
Interesting. Maybe just some ploy by waze to get more users?
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
dmcconachie wrote:
jmp316 wrote:
Interesting. Maybe just some ploy by waze to get more users?
Nah, they don't need to employ tactics like that. M&A rumours like this are daily occurrences for both mega companies and start-ups alike. Not the first time Waze's name has been involved, won't be the last.
I subscribe to all those tech blogs like BGR and Engadget too, and you're right, rumors like this pop up all the time. I suspect we haven't heard the end of this rumor considering "sources" have nothing to lose when they remain nameless.
jmp316
Send a message
Last edited by jmp316 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by mssusa
What would happen to the community? Editors?

Maybe I'm not being fair because I hate everything Apple with a vengeance, but they are not used to sharing or relaxing control. They might freeze mature maps and do the editing and handle URs IGN style.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
Even if this happens I don't think Android client will be affected. The entire system relies on people using it to monitor traffic. They need as many users as possible. They might even spend money to make WP and BB clients.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
aduljr wrote:I would hate it if apple acquire Waze. Android support would surely disappear at somepoint which would leave me looking for another app to use on my daily commutes. :(
Yup.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by nzahn1
I'd say apple would (should) let waze continue as it runs now.

Maybe apple could provide better server and bug squashing support. Apple is really looking for better vector data to put in its maps, along with real-time traffic (which waze has both).
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
Jim2029 wrote:If apple acquires waze, say good buy to android. Just look at iTunes, is it available for Android? Last time I check it still wasn't...
iTunes may not be natively supported on Android, but there are plenty of ways of getting purchased iTunes music from your PC to your Android phone.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by OldGnome
Goodness. There is an amazing amount of vitriol toward Apple hereabouts. I have usually only encountered that level of venom toward Microsoft.

Geez, folks. It's just an operating system.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
Colonel667 wrote:the maps were created by us users.
"Updated" for the most part, not "created." "Improved," yes. "Created," no.
Colonel667 wrote:our work
You are serious, aren't you?

Any individual who has been participating in moving Waze forward (who is not part of the paid staff of Waze) has been here as a volunteer. You knew that when you signed on to do whatever you have been doing. You cannot retroactively go back and complain that "I won't get compensated for my work."
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
Colonel667 wrote:
OldGnome wrote: "Updated" for the most part, not "created." "Improved," yes. "Created," no.

Any individual who has been participating in moving Waze forward (who is not part of the paid staff of Waze) has been here as a volunteer. You knew that when you signed on to do whatever you have been doing. You cannot retroactively go back and complain that "I won't get compensated for my work."
Weren't the basic maps free? As far as I know, they were.
So what? You still haven't "created" anything.
Colonel667 wrote:Of course I can complain if Waze is about to sell out that data. Just because I always knew that Waze has the right on the maps etc. doesn't mean I am obligated to applaud this data being sold.
There is quite a distance between complaining and applauding. The point you seem to be missing is that the data is Waze's to do with as they see fit. Knowingly participating in that process may not prevent you from getting your feathers ruffled, but you really don't have much say in the matter.
Colonel667 wrote:I'd also complain if Zuckerberg sold Facebook (and cancel my account), for example.
I hate to tell you this....remember a little IPO about mid-2012? Facebook is publicly traded.
Colonel667 wrote:Not to mention that as an Android user I wouldn't be willing to tolerate any disadvantages if a possible buyer would be Apple.
"Tolerate?" Please. You can use or not use whatever you wish. You seem to want to scare Waze into doing something you disagree with. Use or not use. There isn't a third option.
OldGnome
Send a message