Forum rules
Welcome to the Belgium Community forum!

Ask us any question here. Or if you want to chat with us, join the Waze BeLux Slack:

https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeopedia-files/b/be/Slack-invitation-banner.png
(click the image to join the Slack)

Brainstorming AM-management

Post by
As champs on this moment we are brainstorming how to handle the management of AM's better in the future.
Right now, it really takes a lot of time to manage everything correct, that's why a new system is needed.
Since some time we do the AM management.
This gives us more inside information about editors and what there doing.
But, it also takes a lot more time. More then I toughed before.

So now we are brainstorming for a new system to work with. Therefore I would like to ask you, the 'normal editor', about your opinion.
This is a brainstorm topic. Nothing is decided yet. Everything is still possible, so please no big discussion about little points, just post everything that comes up your mind. Everything is useful.

I would describe the idea like this:
Less locking, more communication.

This is what we came up with yesterday:
We would like to have a lot small AM-areas spread over the country wit h lv3 editors.
Those editors can lock roads that are different from the aerials.

Above this layer of AM-areas we would like to have a group of LV-4 editors with each one a bigger AM-area.
They will be the coaches of the lv-3 editors in their area.
The lv-4 editors can lock the minor and major highways when necessary.

Then we have above that the CM's.
They can lock the freeways and are the coaches of lv-4's
Please, your reaction! :D

POSTER_ID:213312

Send a message

Post by bgoffa
Being a "normal editor", I personally do not have the experience on editing being a heavy workload. Assuming the previous messages, the workload is prodominantly on the level of (un)locking. Or are there other topics that could offer increased efficiency and reduced time consumption?
Isn't there a more general policy, internationally? Or is it a Benelux issue only?
bgoffa
Send a message

Post by bgoffa
Have not seen any updates on this topic since Jan/2013. Or are there already conclusions from the brainstorming initiative? Has a decision been taken on locking onto a lower level. This way a lot more AM's can unlock and free up time for the lvl5's to coach and monitor.

For me, this was one of the most important suggestions.
bgoffa
Send a message

Post by jeanvaljean001
Hello !

I've just received a reply to my Area-managing request.

First of all, thank you very much for your confidence.
As it is written in the mail, as a beginner I start with a small area, this is totally normal and I'm happy with it. But actually, the area I got is not exactly the one I was expecting, I mean, I requested an area in or containing the city I live in (Tile 29767), because this is where I drive almost every day and this is where I can edit the map easily and without a doubt. I received an area pretty close from where I live but this is an area that I don't know very well... I just wanted to know if it's normal or if I did something wrong when I applied for being an area manager...

By the way, thank you again and I must say that I think this tile system is a really good think.
jeanvaljean001
Send a message

Post by kriekenbuik
I'm an areamanager.
Isn't it possible to get all the rights in your own area for changing everything and put roadworks on it.
I see an areamanager as a person who is responsible for his area and he should get full access.
How are they doing it in other countries?
For example:
A countrymanager can change everything in belgium. A level 4 is 'boss" in his Province of East-Flanders (for example) and a province has several areamanager. Than I don't have a level 3 when I'm changing something in another area.
kriekenbuik
Send a message

Post by kriekenbuik
How many tiles can I choose?
I think we need many AM if every AM choose 9 tiles.
If I want to update an area with streetnames but I have na access to it can I than ask another area for a month or so?
kriekenbuik
Send a message

Post by kriekenbuik
I choose 8371 as my center tile.
kriekenbuik
Send a message

Post by kriekenbuik
The link is not in this post but I found it in another post.

http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=25768
kriekenbuik
Send a message

Post by maantje76
In the past am's had full access. Because of the the huge amount of problems that were caused by unexperienced editors, waze had decided to change that system a while ago. After the change, they did an unlock for all less important roadtypes, so AM's aren't completely locked out.

The change was a well considered decission. They had to do this to protect the valuable data. Every week there were problems, even on freeways. At the moment we have more frequent map updates. In the past those took several months sometimes. You can imagine what kind of problems the result was.

Then there wasn't any control on am areas. Almost all areas were approved. From all the old areas that were approved before the current system, 90% doesn't visit forums, don't know anything about the wiki, so don't know the rules. It's very hard to contact them, if it's possible, etc...

The result in countries that are almost done or where a big part us done, is more locks. Locks are 'growing' with you, including the edits from the past.

Giving full rights in your area isn't possible anymore. We did discuss thus several times. It's a technical issue.

Where I personally are thinking about is updating an editors editing level on request of his mentor, not based on amount of edits. Some of you probably deserve a higher level allready. There are also situations where editors get a higher level based on the amount of edits, but doesn't know much about editting. Some of them are even cheating. We're happy this isn't happening in Belgium on large scale, but in other countries this resulted also in big problems...

Waze did promised us, they will implement a locking feature where a higher level editor can lock at a lower rank. That will clear a lot of problems I guess....

But lets go on with brainstorming....
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
To start with a new and easier way of managing the AM-areas, we want to delete all existing areas. We will PM all AM's, so they do know this is going to happen.

The basic setup je can see here.

We split the map in 'tiles'. You'll see a layer for Level 3, Level and Level 5 editors.

What we had in mind is that current and new L3 editors can choose their preffered 'centre' tile of their area. Depending on the location (amount of current editors, complexity, current state,...), they get an area assigned. As a learning traject they can get a complete different area if the requested area is over crowded, to complex or almost done.

L4 tiles are 99x bigger then L3. L4 editors can request an area based on more tiles.

L5 tiles are 24x bigger then L4. L5 editors can also request an area based on more tiles.

This is just in basics, we have to work on it, and do some discussion, but we would like to start with this.

On the map you also will see all current AM's (areas that are assigned with the new system). At the moment I added 3 new areas.

So we would't like to start with adding new areas for the current AM's. As soon that's done, we will remove the current areas. We still have to change the form for requesting areas, but I would like to ask you to request your 'new' area with this form for now. Instead of the permalink, use the Tile ID.

That's for now, please post your comments below ;)
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
It depends on the experience. There will be a coach assigned to the L3 to check and support. If he thinks the L3 has enough experience, you can request an additional or bigger area.

The size of an area depends on the the location. What is the current state, and busyness?....

So an area in Brussels centre will be much smaller then an uneditted area in Wallonia for example...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message