Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

A couple of newbie question.

Post by Davy_Ray
I tried searching and checking the wiki to see if i could answer my own questions, but i was not able to.

1) Is total distance calculated only if i select a destination, or if i have the maps open and just driving around will it still calculate. I don't always have a fixed destination when I go out. Often I am out with friends and i just drive around aimlessly so putting in a destination would be pointless. I do like to have the GPS up and running anyhow just for the sake of it even if i know where i am going. Is the KM driven calculated only if i set a fixed destination and go there and/or simply driving around aimlessly

2) If I or someone else adds a traffic issue or something of the sort, how long does that info stay in place? Does it stay as "standstill" for instance until someone drives by and says that there is no longer any problems or is it on some kind of timer so that after say 30 minutes it will disappear on its own. I would like to know in order to know how accurate the info would be if lets say traffice was reported 30 minutes ago, is the traffic still bad or has it cleared up yet etc.

3) I know i am still a baby waze and cannot report gas prices yet, but i always use gasbuddy. Is there a way to integrate gasbuddy into waze somehow. Either as a ready only so it would pull the prices from gas buddy and display on the maps. gasbuddy seems to be very popular and is pretty good with reported prices.

4) I just opened Waze and went to navigate/categories/gas stations .... it searches and comes up with nothing. I live in Montreal, a rather big city. Is it because i am a baby waze and cannot search for the nearest station?

Edit:

It finds gas stations if i set the search parameters to foursquare, but if i keep the search under Waze it finds nothing. Even some other categories under the waze search comes empty.
I think that is all for now.

Thanks!
Davy_Ray

POSTER_ID:4367485

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
At least one of your questions is answered in the FAQ. It is likely that other questions you may have might also be answered there, too, so have a read.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
imajica12345 wrote:I tried searching and checking the wiki to see if i could answer my own questions, but i was not able to.
Welcome.
imajica12345 wrote:1) Is total distance calculated only if i select a destination, or if i have the maps open and just driving around will it still calculate. I don't always have a fixed destination when I go out. Often I am out with friends and i just drive around aimlessly so putting in a destination would be pointless. I do like to have the GPS up and running anyhow just for the sake of it even if i know where i am going. Is the KM driven calculated only if i set a fixed destination and go there and/or simply driving around aimlessly
Waze tallies you distance whenever waze is open regardless of whether a route is set or not.
imajica12345 wrote:2) If I or someone else adds a traffic issue or something of the sort, how long does that info stay in place? Does it stay as "standstill" for instance until someone drives by and says that there is no longer any problems or is it on some kind of timer so that after say 30 minutes it will disappear on its own. I would like to know in order to know how accurate the info would be if lets say traffice was reported 30 minutes ago, is the traffic still bad or has it cleared up yet etc.
Reports time out, but I'm not sure exactly how long their life is.
imajica12345 wrote:3) I know i am still a baby waze and cannot report gas prices yet, but i always use gasbuddy. Is there a way to integrate gasbuddy into waze somehow. Either as a ready only so it would pull the prices from gas buddy and display on the maps. gasbuddy seems to be very popular and is pretty good with reported prices.

4) I just opened Waze and went to navigate/categories/gas stations .... it searches and comes up with nothing. I live in Montreal, a rather big city. Is it because i am a baby waze and cannot search for the nearest station?

Edit:

It finds gas stations if i set the search parameters to foursquare, but if i keep the search under Waze it finds nothing. Even some other categories under the waze search comes empty.
I think that is all for now.

Thanks!
My understanding is that gas buddy and waze have not been able to reach an agreement to work together. I'm also not sure that the inability to report gas prices is a baby wazer issue, but may be a Canadian issue. I didn't think that that the gas price feature was enabled in Canada yet, but I'm not there so could easily have missed the announcement.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902