These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

2D vs 3D battery use

Post by zynks
Hey there guys. Does any of you find that 3D uses more battery than 2D? I never tried to get into numbers but it's just an idea and I wanted to know what are your findings related to this.

Thanks
zynks

POSTER_ID:4895982

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Yep, this is correct. 3D pulls more data from the servers due to the horizon viewable segments. Because of this, it will use more power. Of course, one should always have their device charging in the car using Waze. I never notice any battery usage at all. :mrgreen:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I just ordered my 2nd OPSO 3A charger from Amazon. For $10, the first one is working well.

There are also a good selection of 3-4A chargers and even a 5A charger (2.5A shared over 2 ports, dedicated 2.5 on another) on Amazon now. Those should be more than enough to keep up with charging multiple devices, even ones which are constantly using wifi, GPS, playing music, running Waze, etc., simultaneously.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
In my experience it seems that 3D uses more data and more battery than 2D. But I don't have any numbers either.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
But the waze phone holder blocks the USB port on my phone.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Timbones
For more tips on preserving battery use, see the Wiki: http://bit.ly/WazeBattery
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by zynks
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Yep, this is correct. 3D pulls more data from the servers due to the horizon viewable segments. Because of this, it will use more power. Of course, one should always have their device charging in the car using Waze. I never notice any battery usage at all. :mrgreen:
Yes I believe so, I just wanted to sort that out in my mind. My phone charger is not workin (to use in the car) and so I usualy drive without having the phone plugged. I would estimate 1% of battery consumption per minute (while moving). I need to get a new charger...
zynks
Send a message