Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Turn off app when exiting (when not navigating)

Post by shawnallen1983
An issue that I think would be a simple fix:

When exiting out of the app (hitting back), the notification icon should turn off or have the option in settings to turn off. This would only apply when not currently navigating directions. ie: just opening to look up gas stations, report issues, etc. Maybe configuring to only notify in the status bar when GPS is on.

I know it has the Power off option in the menu to turn off completely, however to prevent someone having to remember to do that every time, I think this would be better for the user.

:mrgreen:
shawnallen1983

POSTER_ID:13197974

Send a message
Shawn Allen

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mccolloughm wrote:It seems that Google has removed the Turn Off button in the menu with the new update, so the only way to turn off waze is turning the ios off or back button
Google has no effect on what Waze is doing. They are a wholly owned by separate entity. There is no Google involvement in Waze product decisions or plans. If you would pay attention to the "Switch Off" issue which is already discussed at length, it is an Apple iOS requirement that no app be allowed to exit to the springboard without the user pressing the Home button.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
For Waze to function properly, you MUST use the "Switch Off" in the menu to exit - this is due to the nature of the app and the information it is constantly sending back and forth to the servers.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
By using the "back" button, you are not closing the app (any app) - you are minimizing it/hiding it/sending it to the background.

When you exit Waze, the icon in the taskbar goes away, when you "back" out of it, it's still running and since Waze is an active app (constant data transfer, GPS active, etc) the notification icon is letting you know it's still running and using all those things - and that you should close it properly if needed.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
It does not matter if you are navigating or not. As long as Waze is running it is reporting location information to the servers - this is how Waze determines real time road conditions (speeds). You do not need to be in navigation mode to use Waze either - you can just run it while driving (or riding in a car).

For example, you use Waze to navigate you to your office. If you use the back button to minimize the app, and walk inside & put your phone on your desk, Waze is still transmitting your location information (and probably creating a false traffic jam on the road outside your office). If you instead used the "Switch Off" function to exit the app, you are no longer contributing information to the system (and the icon disappears).

Bottom line, "back" does not exit the app (or any other app - I just checked, YouTube is still running in the background on my phone even though I last used it days ago). You need to exit (using "Switch Off") to unload Waze from your phone's memory.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
shawnallen1983 wrote:By the way, I thought I needed to put this in the BUGS section. That was the reason I moved it. First time, lesson learned.
If it was a legitimate bug & not a new user not understanding how the app functions I (or one of the other moderators) would gladly move the topic over there.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by mccolloughm
It seems that Google has removed the Turn Off button in the menu with the new update, so the only way to turn off waze is turning the ios off or back button
mccolloughm
Send a message

Post by shawnallen1983
The understanding is there that it is required to be on to transmit information. However when a user exits any app, it should have the option in settings if the user does not want to be notified in the status bar that it is on and furthermore should allow it to stop transmitting data when exited out of.

Keep in mind, my suggestion is only to have this feature available when not currently navigating directions. Just like any app....youtube, facebook, etc, you have the option to turn off notifications and the notification stops. This will also help with the users battery life.
shawnallen1983
Send a message
Last edited by shawnallen1983 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Allen

Post by shawnallen1983
This would also pose a privacy concern because why would Waze need to transmit data that is not pertaining to the user updating locations, reporting issues, etc? If the app is not actively being used for navigation, there is no need for it be on ALL the time.

If you want to add PUSH notifications to allow the user to configure and know if something has changed in their immediate area, that might work. I just think having no technical reason as to how this will benefit the user makes this useless.
shawnallen1983
Send a message
Shawn Allen

Post by shawnallen1983
This is true that apps are minimized and not fully closed. However, if the app needs to remain in the notification center to report weather etc, this is configurable by the user.

Again, this is not pertaining to transmitting data when GPS is on AND Navigating. Just because I have my GPS and go into the app, does not mean it should continue to let me know I WAS in the app.

Also, this app does not need the GPS on to stay in the notification center. I can enter the app without GPS on and the notification will still be there when hitting back. It shouldn't be there unless both criteria have been met.

GPS ON, NAVIGATION ACTIVE
shawnallen1983
Send a message
Shawn Allen