Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Area Manager 101: time to delete/retire/redirect?

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This entire page is Cartouche-specific. Not sure if we try to rebuild it or get it removed?

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Area_Manager:_101
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
Sure it would be great if this page were updated. But unless someone is going to do it, it would be better off removed. It is now so outdated that it provides more misinformation than help.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by jasonh300
paulwelch23 wrote:Honestly, I have been editing for a little over a year and have never seen that page before and I have made it to CM status. Therefore, I see no benefit of the page since I found all of the needed information from other locations. I vote delete.
It needs to be rewritten to conform to the current editor and standards.

Paul, being that I've never seen even the slightest little complaint about any of your edits, you are the exception, in that you took the time to read the wiki and the forums and learned what was necessary to be a good editor.

But the fact that you were able to get to where you are without even having seen this page illustrates what is wrong with the system we have now. We need a good Wiki and people who want to edit or be Area Managers need to know that it's there and that it's required reading. A page like this would be the perfect starting point for a new AM or someone who wants to apply to be an AM.

Some of the people who actually find the Wiki may find it confusing or intimidating, and never learn anything from it. A much larger percentage aren't even aware that the Wiki (or forums) exist and these people are Area Managers. This is why we have so many incompetent AMs and even CMs out there.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
The reason we don't recognize it is because it is buried in another page http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Area_Manager as the only US page and that one says the process is under review making people not wanting to read it assuming it is going to change.

So for now we can start work on improvements to the current page without completely deleting it. We could add a note at the top saying this page under review for updates.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I took a first crack at the page to remove what was no longer relevant, updated the many links, added some new ones, etc.

I did not modify some of the forum links and RSS feeds because I don't use them and have no experience if they are different now. Maybe someone else can go in on top of my changes and do more to it.

It is not a perfect page, but at least we no longer explain things that don't exist.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
It does in other parts of the Wiki on those very topics. This was a page specific to Area Managers for things that are different than other users.

For all user levels:
The user guide is http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze_Version_3.5
The Map Editor starts http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze_Map_Editor and has a specific editing section http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze ... ing_Manual
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by mssusa
Update it. It was one of the first pages I read before I even applied for AM status.

Btw, I like what Jason says. Maybe we can come up with a compulsory test from the wiki that is part of the AM application.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
That's a lot better already.

On the area manager page (not area manager 101) there is a link to an application doc that is broken.

Are the videos worth linking to or are they way out of date?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by paulwelch23
Honestly, I have been editing for a little over a year and have never seen that page before and I have made it to CM status. Therefore, I see no benefit of the page since I found all of the needed information from other locations. I vote delete.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
paulwelch23
Send a message
Paul M. Welch, PE

Tennessee-based CM, focusing on Middle / East TN and Memphis
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by paulwelch23
jasonh300 wrote:Paul, being that I've never seen even the slightest little complaint about any of your edits, you are the exception, in that you took the time to read the wiki and the forums and learned what was necessary to be a good editor.

But the fact that you were able to get to where you are without even having seen this page illustrates what is wrong with the system we have now. Wiki (or forums) exist and these people are Area Managers. This is why we have so many incompetent AMs and even CMs out there.
I do appreciate your kind words, as that is exactly what I try to do. I have had to search hard to find good answers sometimes.

I do agree that the wiki is not in great shape. I see it as disorganized and not streamlined.

This page could be the vehicle where we can point all of the new editors to learn about being an AM. If we are to revise the page, I would think that the following would need to be done in order to do it properly:

I would think we would need to do a thorough search throughout the rest of the wiki to find other areas where this documentation is duplicated and instead place links to this page. This way, this page is the only thing that needs to be updated as the AM process evolves. Furthermore, it would be the sole link where we can point others in the forums.

I think it would be a good idea to keep these ideas in mind whenever we are developing wiki page content. It is frustrating to find conflicting information among various wiki pages.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
paulwelch23
Send a message
Paul M. Welch, PE

Tennessee-based CM, focusing on Middle / East TN and Memphis
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png