Wiki update for Illinois

Moderators: MapSir, Gizmoguy411, SkiDooGuy

Wiki update for Illinois

Postby ArlenBystander » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 am

bigbear3764 mentioned both here in the forums and in PMs we've been exchanging about wanting to up flesh out the Illinois mapping/editing wiki section. Having a bit of spare time and desire to dig into wiki construction, I got the ball rolling.

Here is the result. Take a look and let's discuss how to make it better.

Most of the layout and content ideas were gleaned from the Connecticut wiki. I did preserve much of the original page as a new page called Illinois Reference Information. It has redundant info on other pages so needs a bit of work but I didn't want to toss it all out just yet.

The following sections/pages contain mainly placeholder information (or 1-2 real examples) so still need a fair bit of work:
    Illinois Roads by Type
    Illinois Construction
    Illinois To Do

The Connecticut folks did a great job detailing guidelines for each landmark type. I made a few changes to reflect differences between states (e.g. we have tollways so need to decide what to do about toll booths, our DMV is the Secretary of State, etc.) but we need to discuss further.
CM: USA / AM: Chicago & suburbs / WME βeta Tester
Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Road types/USA | Illinois Mapping | IL Functional Class Map
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: Wiki update for Illinois

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Great work! I'm going to PM a few others I have PM'd with to make sure they see it and add themselves to the editor list.
Image Image
AM Chicagoland Area ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ArlenBystander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 am

I have updated the freeway road type section with the list of Interstates shown on the IDOT site. I followed it up with data from the respective Wikipedia pages regarding toll/non-toll and naming info. Let me know if you see anything wrong or can provide more info.

Also, info regarding mapping of Toll Booth and Train Station landmarks along with a section about Time Restricted Turns (including reversible roads) has been added/updated.
Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Road types/USA | Illinois Mapping | IL Functional Class Map
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider

Wiki update for Illinois

Postby Bigbear3764 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

This is so awesome. I'm loving this for adding construction work. Once you got the template in, it is easy to add and change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image Image
AM Chicagoland Area ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby DrockMiller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Love it! This will be a great place to send new editors as opposed to just linking to the Wiki.

One thing I've been doing is mapping parking lots of commercial areas that are next to major roads. I was noticing a lot of false traffic reports and realized they were being caused by cars parked in the lots next to those major roads. I don't snap the parking lots to the roads, but it serves the purpose of suppressing the error if someone is in the parking lot.

According to the CT guidelines I shouldn't be doing this, but I feel like it serves a useful purpose. Let me know what you think.
DrockMiller
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby DrockMiller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 pm

One thing I considered adding was a name for schools. It helps in the client to see the name of a school and they are a common destination. I'm open to limiting this to larger schools such as high schools and colleges, if necessary, since smaller elementary schools may not show up on the client.

Also, I'm assuming private schools should be included as well. I can modify the Wiki to specify that if we agree it's necessary.
DrockMiller
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:53 pm

dmiller1984 wrote:Love it! This will be a great place to send new editors as opposed to just linking to the Wiki.

One thing I've been doing is mapping parking lots of commercial areas that are next to major roads. I was noticing a lot of false traffic reports and realized they were being caused by cars parked in the lots next to those major roads. I don't snap the parking lots to the roads, but it serves the purpose of suppressing the error if someone is in the parking lot.

According to the CT guidelines I shouldn't be doing this, but I feel like it serves a useful purpose. Let me know what you think.

Those parking lots are probably also having a navigation problem (the pin being closer to the major road than the road the building is actually on) & parking lot roads would be a solution to that problem as well as the false jams.

Which kind of "false traffic report"? Traffic Pins or Color Coded roads?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DrockMiller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:57 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Which kind of "false traffic report"? Traffic Pins or Color Coded roads?

The color-coded roads is what I was referring to.
DrockMiller
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ArlenBystander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:47 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
dmiller1984 wrote:Love it! This will be a great place to send new editors as opposed to just linking to the Wiki.

Those parking lots are probably also having a navigation problem (the pin being closer to the major road than the road the building is actually on) & parking lot roads would be a solution to that problem as well as the false jams.

I personally would prefer to see parking lot roads used (per the Best Practice) instead of the Parking Lot landmark. Driving around in (sub)urban environments leads to a sea of grey in the client with all of the strip mall, office building, etc. parking lots I've been seeing. I know they suppress taffic jams but a judicious set of PLot roads can do the same and keep the client view cleaner.
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 pm

ArlenBystander wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:

Don't go too crazy on the Parking Lot Roads... Just having the main roads will suppress all those jams (and automatic missing road too).

I personally would prefer to see parking lot roads used (per the Best Practice) instead of the Parking Lot landmark. Driving around in (sub)urban environments leads to a sea of grey in the client with all of the strip mall, office building, etc. parking lots I've been seeing. I know they suppress taffic jams but a judicious set of PLot roads can do the same and keep the client view cleaner.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Illinois