Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

New Windows Mobile beta version 1.9.99.301

Post by
New version that bring Windows Mobile up to par with the planned 1.10 line release.
Includes
* Filtering of reports by distance (updated)
* Correction of application freeze after prolonged usage
* Support of Facebook and Twitter traffic related inputs and respond (currently no FB connect is supported)
* Improved address search bar
* Improved zoom when driving through intersections
* Insert existing user name even if skipping it during installation
* Reduction of unnecessary route calculations
* ... and a lot of small bug corrections

Windows Mobile Touch-screen Version 1.9.99.301 (updated 22/06/2010 00:30):
http://tiny.cc/jxm40: Standard Touch Phone
http://tiny.cc/aet3y: WVGA Touch Phone

POSTER_ID:64

Send a message

Post by bobnuts
Sadly, I have to report that this version locks up on my PDA a little more often than the previous beta.

For the record, here is my scenario.

Using the legacy hardware as in my signature I commute to work using the local Motorway (Freeway). As part of my end of work day 'detox' I like to commute home via the country back roads and small villages.

Waze Version 1.8.99.202 would get me to work in the morning without locking up but would always lock up after 15mins driving on my way home at the end of the day.

Waze Version 1.9.99.301 locks up after 15mins both going to and coming home from work

The other thing to note is that Waze never predicts my morning journey to work but always prompts me for the trip home through the back roads in the evening.

Hope this helps

Richard

Update:

Just returned from a drive around my local area to snap up some Worldcup football goodies. Waze Version 1.9.99.301 was locking up every 5 minutes or so. I had to warm reboot PDA everytime. So this version is not usable for me. I am going back to Waze Version 1.8.99.202 for the time being. :cry:
bobnuts
Send a message
Present: Huawei Honor 9 running Android 9

Previous:
HTC Desire HD in Dash-Caddy cradle.

Windows Mobile Version 1.9.99.301 beta on a 6 year old HP Hx4700 Windows Mobile 6.5 (Custom ROM) Pocket PC via a 3G MiFi mobile internet router and cradle serial GPS receiver.

Post by bobnuts
OK.'For the record' I would like to share my v1.9.99.301 experiences. sorry for long post but it may help others.

As I mentioned in an earlier post. I intended to go back a version due freezing etc. However, while I was preparing to back rev' I remembered that good practice when installing beta software is to, as far as possible, remove all traces of any previous versions. So I decided to do this and install v1.9.99.301 again.

Once v1.9.99.301 was re- installed I did a local test picking up as many Worldcup road goodies as I could find in my local area. That went well. However, the next day I had the same issue commuting to and from work.

My PDA sits in a cradle on the windscreen and gets very hot, especially now because in the UK we had experienced a couple of weeks of lovely hot sunshine. So I went through a process of taking all my gear into the office were it sat at a cool 21C all day - Waze still locked up on the way home.

My cradle has a built in serial NMEA GPS module so on Friday I configured Waze to use my external Bluetooth GPS module. That worked without freezing on the morning and evening run so will try that over the coming days to see if it more reliable.

By way of a reference. I do not, yet, trust waze for important road trips into unknown areas so I run TomTom V7 on those occasions.

Today I did a 2.5 hr road trip using TomTom (serial cradle GPS) without a single lockup or glitch. This , to my mind, shows that my hardware and OS is viable and that some further refinement is required within the Waze application WinMo code before I can abandon TomTom completely

Hope this helps

RiK
bobnuts
Send a message

Previous:

Windows Mobile Version 1.9.99.301 beta on a 6 year old HP Hx4700 Windows Mobile 6.5 (Custom ROM) Pocket PC via a 3G MiFi mobile internet router and cradle serial GPS receiver.

Post by bobnuts
monosodium wrote:Bobnuts - the UK map is not by any means complete, so you would need to use something else for door-door routing. Once the basemap import is done then it should be usable here in the UK.
Yep, I have been waiting for the UK Basemap import since about Feb this year. At one point I thought the freezes were occuring near a bad bit of map data but changing my home route did not prevent a freeze 15mins into the trip

My point was about my non smartphone hardware that is able to run a SatNav app without issues.

Just had another load of freezes on the way home, even with the external Bluethooth GPS so now I am wondering about the WinMo GPS management utility. Will try that in various modes to see if things improve

Ultimately, I think I need to go out and buy a modern smartphone but lack of funds prevent that at this time.

RiK
bobnuts
Send a message

Previous:

Post by bobnuts
Guys

Waze beta version 1.9.99.301 is now very stable on my hardware after some trial and error and the following actions:

I configured Win Mob External GPS (settings|system) application to allow windows to manage the GPS and then set the hardware tab to Com1: as used by my Cradle's GPS module.

Sounds obvious now but I never needed to set this for TomTom and other GPS applications etc. However, Waze seems to need it correctly configured.

Glad I stuck with beta version 1.9.99.301. Now bring on the next WinMo update :-)

Hope this helps

RiK
bobnuts
Send a message

Previous:

Post by deeggo
Hi Fej, you really made my day!!! I'll be checking it out and report back here.
Yummy!!
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
First feedback: love the start up speed; love the new icon; love the refresh map of my area button!

So hoping this one is stable. I'll leave it running on my desk all day, until driving home tonight.
deeggo
Send a message
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
So far, it's stable for me on my Diamond2 WM6.5. Great!

Some things worth mentioning:
  • The client warned me for all 6 speedcams I pass on my daily commute, where the old client would occasionally warn me for one or two. Is that due to the new client, or a parallel speed cam fix on the server?
  • The voice indications continue after I finish a phone call. The old client (v1.8.0 that is) would stay mute and require a restart for the sound to come back. Super!
  • The font is too big indeed. Many streetnames get cut off now. But hey, if that's the only thing...
deeggo
Send a message

Post by deeggo
Today it was stable again, during my 1,5 hour trip. I didn't experience the problems urax describes.
deeggo
Send a message

Post by deeggo
hooijack wrote:It'll be superb if we have the option to change the font size. Font size too big for my small screen. The "Comment" button has become "Comm.." on my device.
Other than that, all good! :D
The font size can be changed manually. Open the file \Program Files\Waze\preferences with notepad on your desktop computer (save a copy to be sure). Search for the line "Navigation Bar.Street Small Font: 17" and change the value from 17 to 14. Copy back to your device and start Waze. There are other parameters there that mention font. I didn't have time to see what they do.
deeggo
Send a message

Post by deeggo
deeggo wrote:The font size can be changed manually. Open the file \Program Files\Waze\preferences with notepad on your desktop computer (save a copy to be sure). Search for the line "Navigation Bar.Street Small Font: 17" and change the value from 17 to 14. Copy back to your device and start Waze. There are other parameters there that mention font. I didn't have time to see what they do.
Just to clarify: this edit only changes the size of the streetname in the navigation bar. And, it does it only when the name is long. So, when the streetname of the next navigation instruction is short, the client shows it with the normal big font. But, when the streetname is to long to fit in the screen, it will resize to the minimum of 14. If that isn't small enough for you, you could try a smaller value of 12 for instance.
deeggo
Send a message