Brainstorming AM-management

Image Map modifications | Roadworks

Moderators: Benelux - Regional Managers, Benelux - Local Champs, Benelux - Country Managers

Re: Brainstorming AM-management

Postby petervdveen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:38 am

And the other thing is, you are in our database then and it's much easier to track editors down when something went wrong ;-)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Wolfeye » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Hello!

I've quietly followed this thread to see if you come up with anything new about AM management. We (in Sweden) just appointed some Champs (I'm one) and, just,like you, investigates how to best manage AM applications and guidelines for AM management.

I will not interfere how you solve this! This is just some thoughts I'd like to share...

Like sirKitKat says, becoming an AM (today) isn't much more than a label.
But you can put more in to that label than there is today. Like responsibility.

Wikipedia says:
Management in all business and organizational activities is the act of getting people together to accomplish desired goals and objectives using available resources efficiently and effectively. Management comprises planning, organizing, staffing, leading or directing, and controlling an organization (a group of one or more people or entities) or effort for the purpose of accomplishing a goal.

I therefor think that becoming an AM isn't about getting rights, it's fulfilling obligations. Every user can edit in WME (besides locks) but an AM is supposed to control these edits and directing the editors.

It's not about:
- getting an area and having the explicit rights to edit in that area.
- doing the most editing in an area.
- earning points.
- being a better Wazer.

It's about leading and guiding editors in that area to minimize workload and maximize usability.
Leading and guiding could be:
- answer questions that comes up.
- contact editors to correct their strategy.
- pointing editors to the Wiki, FAQ, and Forums.
- report abuse to Champs.

As petervdveen said in his first post, it's about communication (not editing).
INTL: Sweden, Hörnefors-Umeå
Area Manager: Umeå
Waze Champ: Sverige
Svenska Wikin
Wolfeye

Postby steveningelbrecht » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Totally agree... But i thought this was already the case in the system of today?

What you say is about vision and meaning...
I think the question is how the system can 'force' the vision more than it does today?!
Waze Champ - Country Manager Belgium
Image Image Image Image
steveningelbrecht
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Wolfeye » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Some questions then...

Do you have a guideline for managing existing (old) AMs?
Do they have to reapply and does their AM (not rights but) obligation expire at some point?
Can you contact and sustain contact with existing AMs?
Do you even know who applied (earlier) and are an approved AM?
INTL: Sweden, Hörnefors-Umeå
Area Manager: Umeå
Waze Champ: Sverige
Svenska Wikin
Wolfeye

Postby petervdveen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Wolfeye wrote:Some questions then...

1. Do you have a guideline for managing existing (old) AMs?
2. Do they have to reapply and does their AM (not rights but) obligation expire at some point?
3. Can you contact and sustain contact with existing AMs?
4. Do you even know who applied (earlier) and are an approved AM?

1. If an AM is not editing for 3 months his area will get removed.
Also his rank will be lowered to rank 1.

2. Every user can apply to be an AM. Also old-AM's.

3. It is possible to contact existing AM's.
It's possible to send a PM, or ask waze to contact the person.

4. We do have a list of AM's.
Also we do have a list of all active editors (not every editor is an AM).
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby teknoir » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:53 pm

sirKitKat wrote:An other great feature would be adding comments/threads like/wiki style like to the waze map editor or to junctions.

This would help in situations that, in real life, has undergone construction/modification/change of turn restrictions that are not visible in areal photo's or even streetview.

Also an editor could explain why he did a strange modification.

Example:
In the case of a barrier on a road, a tractor filter (aka 'carter rammer'), pole in the middle of the road The solution I use is adding a junction-point at the place of the obstacle and disallow all turns. This prevents the street for being used for go trough traffic in routing but the routing will sends you to the correct side of the barrier if your destination is on that road.

To a experienced editor who come across such a point, it looks like an unnecessary junction-point and there is a change he will remove it or allow all turns on it. Result: a step back in improving the map.
Solution, an exclamation mark on the map next to the junction with an explanation why that junction is there in its place.

Be able to put a comment marker at a location in the map editor would indeed be a valuable function i missed some times to explain e.g. that the situation has changed from the aerials.

To avoid the problem you describe, i either disconnect both segments of the road so there is a clear gap between them, or put a piece of pedestrian boardwalk between them locked with direction "unknown". This way it is more clear that you can not drive through that point with a car and routing will send you down the correct segment. I strongly recommend this method!
Area Manager - Diest - Lummen - Hasselt - Nieuwerkerken

HTC One - Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
teknoir

Postby sirKitKat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Wolfeye wrote:Some questions then...

Do you have a guideline for managing existing (old) AMs?
Do they have to reapply and does their AM (not rights but) obligation expire at some point?
Can you contact and sustain contact with existing AMs?
Do you even know who applied (earlier) and are an approved AM?

I like the idea of an expiration date. If you're not active in your area for an amount of time, you lose your area manager title in that area. If you want the title back, you have to reapply. or maybe lose your title for all the areas if you are not active at all for some time

maybe, if you select an object in the WME, under the details of the object on the left, list the last active area managers that are responsible for that area. You can even make links of the names pointing to the profile page of the area manager on this forum. from there the editor can easily send a pm to the AM for questions

sirKitKat
(This image represents the update cycle of the INTL map tiles CET. The NA version of this can be found here CT)
sirKitKat
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby steveningelbrecht » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:10 pm

And its evident for me at least am and cm should be active in the forum...

Expiration date is a great idea...
Waze Champ - Country Manager Belgium
Image Image Image Image
steveningelbrecht
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby maantje76 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm

To start with a new and easier way of managing the AM-areas, we want to delete all existing areas. We will PM all AM's, so they do know this is going to happen.

The basic setup je can see here.

We split the map in 'tiles'. You'll see a layer for Level 3, Level and Level 5 editors.

What we had in mind is that current and new L3 editors can choose their preffered 'centre' tile of their area. Depending on the location (amount of current editors, complexity, current state,...), they get an area assigned. As a learning traject they can get a complete different area if the requested area is over crowded, to complex or almost done.

L4 tiles are 99x bigger then L3. L4 editors can request an area based on more tiles.

L5 tiles are 24x bigger then L4. L5 editors can also request an area based on more tiles.

This is just in basics, we have to work on it, and do some discussion, but we would like to start with this.

On the map you also will see all current AM's (areas that are assigned with the new system). At the moment I added 3 new areas.

So we would't like to start with adding new areas for the current AM's. As soon that's done, we will remove the current areas. We still have to change the form for requesting areas, but I would like to ask you to request your 'new' area with this form for now. Instead of the permalink, use the Tile ID.

That's for now, please post your comments below ;)
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby sirKitKat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 pm

You may sign me up for the following tiles (Level 3):

Code: Select all
Rect: [4099 - 4356]

4099 - 4186 - 4273 - 4358
4098 - 4185 - 4272 - 4357
4097 - 4184 - 4271 - 4356

Could be I'm wrong but it looks like a lot of work for the CM. Or did you automate the process?
(This image represents the update cycle of the INTL map tiles CET. The NA version of this can be found here CT)
sirKitKat
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Belgium