Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by rand0m9
An cached route would be handy. Have run into this issue a few times where I hit a dead zone and then I'm just on a white screen. Hard to argue about it being useful or not. A trip down to new Mexico caused me to learn this lesson the hard way. Waze is my primary gps navigation but I do have a backup Garmin for when I run into this issue. If I could have it set to auto cache my route then I would be thrilled. Someone asked about the data usage. I don't have an exact number for my monthly but my average drive uses a little less than a mb. So I would assume Waze uses roughly 30-50mb a month. If the user has a low data plan I could see how this could be an issue. I do know one of my family members has the 200mb plan on their iPhone and they do not run over their limit while using Waze quite regularly. They do not stream media often at all though. Primarily emails and small amounts of browsing.
rand0m9
Send a message

Post by rand0m9
Borgholio wrote:
TSXyKorova wrote:
I see no point in arguing about it.

// Sent using Tapatalk HD Beta. Please PM me with any issues. //
I see no point in necroing a 7 month old thread...
I don't see the point in letting these threads go dead which just causes people to make a ton of duplicate topics because a previous one got pushed back a few pages and people are too lazy to search.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
rand0m9
Send a message

Post by rand0m9
Good to know... Hope they give me the option to cache off cell signal. I rarely enter my route before I am in my car.... Happens the most when I am sitting at the end of the block and way out of wifi range.

rand0m9
Send a message

Post by rand0m9
I like it

rand0m9
Send a message

Post by rapsis
My data plan is for 200 megs and I have never exceeded it. Though I would like to have offline version as well. When going abroad 1 day of data roaming costs more than my usual monthly payment for data plan. So the only alternative is to buy another gps navigation app. It would cost me less than roaming with waze for 2 weeks.
rapsis
Send a message

Post by searstd0
I can see where pre-loaded maps would be beneficial. Before the moderators yell at me, I do love Waze. I have made tons of my friends add the app because there aren't enough people in my area that use it. There have been many times that my handy dandy Waze app saved me from a speeding ticket. Thank you for that. However, I drive though a lot of areas that have very spotty cell service and when that happens I am 100% screwed when I'm using Waze for directions. I literally had to pull over at and buy a GPS one time because my poor little Waze was just dropping connection and I have zero sense of direction. I love the interactive nature of Waze. I have, of course, created my little driving group and I am a reporting fool. But limited service and limited data plans are out there. Can there be any provisions made? Thanks for listening and keep the wonderful updates coming.
searstd0
Send a message

Post by TSXyKorova
I drove from Raleigh, NC (27606) to Kershaw, SC (29067), and lost T-Mobile coverage on long sections of the trip. For most the second half of my drive, Waze showed a white screen -- no street, no landmarks, nothing. When I pulled over and zoomed out, I found that I'd somehow deviated from my planned course, and Waze never even alerted me. Fail!

Waze has GOT to start caching ahead, and not just the route, but 10 or so miles on each side of the route, in case of detours. Otherwise, Waze is useless to me.
TSXyKorova
Send a message
HTC Amaze 4G (Gingerbread 4.0.3) on T-Mobile.

Post by TSXyKorova
Borgholio wrote:Google Nav caches the whole route now, and just recently introduced the feature where you can pre-download maps in a 10-square mile area from any arbitrary point too. If Waze wants to keep competing, it needs something similar.
Google Maps has offered the "pre-cache map tiles" add-on since before I got my Android in December, 2011. I'm not sure it's built-in now, is it?
TSXyKorova
Send a message

Post by TSXyKorova
TSXyKorova wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Google Nav caches the whole route now, and just recently introduced the feature where you can pre-download maps in a 10-square mile area from any arbitrary point too. If Waze wants to keep competing, it needs something similar.
Google Maps has offered the "pre-cache map tiles" add-on since before I got my Android in December, 2011. I'm not sure it's built-in now, is it?
Yes, it's no longer a "labs add on" but an included feature.

I travelled to California over Christmas and cached areas in Google Maps. Even with that app's limit on cached areas, I was able to cover much of the bay area where i was. Several times I needed map details instantly where T-mobile had crappy coverage. Data access was irrelevant; the cached data was used transparently.

If data plans are really an issue for so many users, make it an option in Settings. But this feature needs to be included to keep pace with Google Maps et al.

I see no point in arguing about it. Lack of caching, and obnoxious popups on runtime, are making this an increasingly less useful app for me.

// Sent using Tapatalk HD Beta. Please PM me with any issues. //
TSXyKorova
Send a message