Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Making Waze indicate that freeway has ended

Post by Jpere
Sorry for the stupid topic subject. I didn't really know how to summarize my question.

I recently drove across Florida and found this flaw to be quite annoying, and as editors I wanted your input as to any fixes we can implement.

The issue is that when driving on a freeway that ends and then merges onto a completely new freeway, the driver is not made aware of the road change nor of which direction they need to go. If the driver does not look at the map, they might take the wrong exit. I believe the problem is caused by the freeway segments between both distinct freeways being understood as being the same road by Waze with simply a different names on both segments.

Here's an example.

These two segments are for I-75 S and SR-924 E / Gratigny Pkwy. Once I-75 S ends, the driver is presented with two "exits," one to continue onto SR-924 E and the other is to exit right onto here SR-826 S.

Here is how the roadway signs appear to the driver at the same segments I linked above (Courtesy: Google Maps).

In my opinion, Waze should provide instructions similar to how it alerts drivers that coming up he or she will need to stay left, stay right, exit right, exit left, etc. In the example above, Waze should have prepared the driver to "Stay left onto SR - 924 E / Gratigny Pkwy (Toll)." However, I think Waze did not detect the change in roadway because, in the Waze map, both I -75 S and Gratigny are essentially the same roadway with just different names.

Would a solution for this flaw, as I consider it, be something like this? The idea is to make the ramp even shorter than that so that it wouldn't be visible on the map, but it should still trigger Waze to alert the driver to stay left since it considers it to be a ramp.

Thoughts?
Jpere

POSTER_ID:1880253

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:Yes. Adding a short ramp segment on the continuing road seems best. The Wiki explains the pros/cons of doing it via two ramps vs using exits.
A ramp segment isn't necessary though, and IMO, looks very ugly. At a Y split, if all 3 segments connected to the junction are freeway, name the left and right split differently, as you'd see in the on-road signage, and make sure there's a slight angle to both sides of the split. This is shown in the first example of the freeway split in the junction style guide. I use that type, whether it is freeway or highway types, and it is effective and the least obnoxious looking, IMO. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Jpere wrote:Let me ask you, though, will that also create a new set of directions that will appear on the top banner on the app screen? What I mean is, using my same example, when I was 200 miles away from the end of I-75 S, the directions I was being shown on the screen were to exit onto "NW 42nd Ave," which is an exit on SR-924 E. If I implement the fix you and Shawn have suggested, will the app now first indicate to stay left onto SR-924 E and once I get there it will update with the exit onto NW 42nd Ave directions? Or will the change only affect the voice guidance?
It will affect both. The next "turn" and name indicator and TTS should be one and the same. With the insertion of a short angled segment with whatever is on the big green sign, on-screen and voice guidance will be that. After that, the next turn will be displayed for 42nd Ave.

An example on a minor highway I did a while ago is here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-123.0 ... s=67682592. That segment I've got selected there is very short, but because it has a different name than the parent segment and a different name than the "Exit" segment, an announcement is made for both "turns."

I am not so convinced that an angle is always required for when all segments are the same type and name. From this parent segment a "stay to the left" and "stay to the right" instruction is given for both following segments, even though the "left" is perfectly straight ahead.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by HandofMadness
How to do this is covered on the Wiki in the Junction Guide.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junc ... way_Splits
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Yes. Adding a short ramp segment on the continuing road seems best. The Wiki explains the pros/cons of doing it via two ramps vs using exits.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Jpere
shawndoc wrote:How to do this is covered on the Wiki in the Junction Guide.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junc ... way_Splits
Thanks, Shawn. I missed that in the Wiki.

To verify my understanding, though, what I proposed is essentially what the Wiki indicates is good practice, correct?
Jpere
Send a message

Post by Jpere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
shawndoc wrote:Yes. Adding a short ramp segment on the continuing road seems best. The Wiki explains the pros/cons of doing it via two ramps vs using exits.
A ramp segment isn't necessary though, and IMO, looks very ugly. At a Y split, if all 3 segments connected to the junction are freeway, name the left and right split differently, as you'd see in the on-road signage, and make sure there's a slight angle to both sides of the split. This is shown in the first example of the freeway split in the junction style guide. I use that type, whether it is freeway or highway types, and it is effective and the least obnoxious looking, IMO. :)
I'm going to try out that solution as well, Alan.

Let me ask you, though, will that also create a new set of directions that will appear on the top banner on the app screen? What I mean is, using my same example, when I was 200 miles away from the end of I-75 S, the directions I was being shown on the screen were to exit onto "NW 42nd Ave," which is an exit on SR-924 E. If I implement the fix you and Shawn have suggested, will the app now first indicate to stay left onto SR-924 E and once I get there it will update with the exit onto NW 42nd Ave directions? Or will the change only affect the voice guidance?
Jpere
Send a message