Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by WeeeZer14
dioptrija wrote:I suppose that traffic jam is reported automatically by waze because I'm the only one using it at the time.
Yes, Waze automatically generates ALL traffic jam reports. When a user reports a jam, it really just tells Waze to look closely at the situation and be ready to declare a traffic jam. A report alone will NOT create a traffic jam.

So as long as people in cars have at sometime driven on the road you are cycling on, you will create a traffic jam and pollute the historical average speeds simply by riding through.

As much as I like Waze and as much as I like my bike, I never mix the two for these reasons ;)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
cristianfraser wrote:I'd like to see a different type of camera added. In my city, we dont have enforced red light or speed cameras, but recently there have been some added in exclusive bus lanes, so they would be respected. But editors in my area are adding speed cameras, and it's just not the same...

And besides, some exclusive bus lanes are time dependant, so they don't work every hour nor every day.
I'm thinking we don't need a new camera type for that. Or any camera at all for that matter. Those cameras just monitor for illegal turns. Theoretically a town could add cameras to catch people going the wrong way down one way streets, but we don't need to add a camera to Waze for that. The law is to not go the wrong way, so we just assume you are not going to do that.

So bus lanes are the same. If they are only for busses, the road should either be private, not connected, or not on the map at all so Waze won't use it.

Speeding and red light running are different since you are allowed to go in that direction, just with limitations (only when light is green, only under a certain speed).

Time dependancy will come soon hopefully in the form of time dependent turn restrictions. Until that time, we have to rely on drivers having eyes and a brain ;)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
richhobo wrote:I have addresses saved in my contacts. It would be nice to be able to have as an option to select from contacts when trying to navigate.
Search for the name of your contact. Scroll the search providers along the bottom to the far right for contacts. It should be there.
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
pjlasl wrote:Speed limits...a lot of in town "traffic jams" could be suppressed if waze knew that 30mph was the speed limit and it not display that there is heavy traffic going 27mph
Also, if the speed limit is 30 mph and Waze is showing a jam at 27 mph, that means that the limited data Waze does have says people totally disregard the speed limit there and go faster than 30 ;)

(Or the road has no data and the road type has a default speed of faster than 30 mph. Probably as or even more likely, but less humorous than my speeding comment :D )
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by wickedlou9
jasonh300 wrote:
pjlasl wrote:Speed limits...a lot of in town "traffic jams" could be suppressed if waze knew that 30mph was the speed limit and it not display that there is heavy traffic going 27mph
Once you have a significant number of Wazers in town, that will happen automatically. If the traffic is flowing at 27 and showing a jam, it's because there's not enough speed data yet.

That sort of thing stopped in my area once there was about 50 Wazers showing during rush hour every day.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
Even so, more data is always better. Knowing the speed limit gives you greater information and opens up possibilities for future enhancements.
I use a navigation app called "Sygic" from time to time. It knows the speed limits on most roads I have been on. It can alert you if you go over by some set margin. It could also tell you something about the severity of traffic even in the absence of sufficient user data.
wickedlou9
Send a message

Post by wizbang_fl
When editing a roadway or adding a roadway.... I'd like to see the following options either via direct selection or tied to or tied to existing metadata selections with their definition. IE: A minor highway is multilane divided, but has unrestricted access and intersections. A major highway is a multilane divided, but has restricted access and turning restrictions. A freeway is a multilane divided with restricted access and no intersections, access is via ramps. Currently the options of selecting the various roadway types is present but they don't appear to be tied to any identifiable roadway features (limited access, restricted, multilane, etc)
Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 1.48.12 AM.png
  • A=1 way
    • A1=1 way single lane
      • A1a= 1 way single lane unrestricted access. (use for city surface streets)
        A1b= 1 way single lane general controlled access. (use for 1 way streets that must move to a access road to reach the destination. locations on access road use the primary street address.)
        A1c= 1 way single lane restricted access. (for things like Carpool HOVA, Toll Lanes, Timed Access.)
        • A1c1= 1 way single lane restricted access. carpool-HOVA only
          A1c2=1 way single lane restricted access. toll lane
          A1c3=1 way single lane restricted access. timed access (lane only accessible during specified hours)
        A1d=1 way single lane access ramp (trying to add a ramp or merge lane Waze wants to name it or GPS validation wants to create a new road name- this allows map editors to quickly fix gps identified map issues. the metadata should be coded that the segment has no name applicable.
      A2= 1 way multi lane (not sure if the metadata for minor highway reflects this for routing)
      • A2* Mirror A1* replacing single lane with multi lane.

B=2 way
  • B1=2 way undivided roadway (no median preventing turning) (apply state law regarding u-turns to navigation)
    • B1a=2 way undivided roadway (no median preventing turning) no center turn lane, turn lane may be present inconsistently
      • B1a* mirror A1*
      B1b=2 way undivided roadway (no median preventing turning) center turn lane consistently present for turning (aka "suicide lane")
      • B1b* mirror A1*
    B2=2 way divided roadway (barrier or other form of obstacle preventing unlimited turns (map editor would have to manually put in cross points or turn lanes)
    • B2* mirror A1*
Tying the meta data to the road types would allow a more seamless road definition phase and could be leveraged for routing purposes.
wizbang_fl
Send a message

Post by woitalla
I also use an App called GasBuddy

Community based gas price reporting. If I need to report/update gas prices with Waze running, I have to switch between apps. Nothing painful, but I thought the ability to report/find Gas Prices at gas stations near like on GasBuddy, that would be awesome.

Much like reporting other items, you could have a quick way to report gas prices for stations identified/tracked in waze
woitalla
Send a message

Post by ynot14
POI would be great
ynot14
Send a message

Post by zac08
Btw, how can we indicate that an area allows U turns? So that the route can effectively be more smoother on the roads esp when the routes given does not take this into consideration at times.
zac08
Send a message

Post by zac08
Could we be able to log in multiple reports in tandem. Currently we can only log one issue at a time.

If it can be put on hold on the left side and then we can add in another report about a separate matter, it would be very helpful.

I.e.

Road user hogs the shoulder (we'd have to report it as a Hazard on shoulder, vehicle stopped)

then a couple of meters down, there is a road works on the right lane.

There won't be enough reaction time for the system to capture both and for us to report both together either.
zac08
Send a message