Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).
Post by grebble
OK guys, I managed to get a response from someone from Waze on Twitter. Still no definite time frame on the new version, BUT they said they are still having problems with crashing that they're trying to sort out. So that's why 'any day now' has been three weeks so far. The crashing's giving them a nightmare too! :)

That might not be the news that everyone wants to hear, but it does seem as if they're taking the problem seriously at last.
grebble
Send a message
Area manager: East Northants, West Cambs and Peterborough, UK
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.4), Waze v3.0.2.8

Post by grebble
unwallflower wrote:Guess I have to eat my words. In the past three days waze has gone from never crashing at all to rebooting my phone. I wouldn't call it unusable (yet, at least), but it has crashed twice in the past few days.

Great.
I've gone the other way. I had Waze running today for about 40 minutes, driving around, recording new roads, and it didn't crash once. Strange!
grebble
Send a message

Post by grebble
It's about a month for the full version, but the beta should be ready before then. I guess the reason for the delay on the beta is because they're still trying to figure out what is causing the crashing.

I seem to find that Waze is more stable when the battery is fully charged. Don't know why that should make a difference, but the crashes and reboots seem to happen far more often when the battery is low, regardless of whether or not the charger is connected.
grebble
Send a message

Post by grebble
I have sent an e-mail to the devs asking them to comment on this thread and to let us know what the situation is.
grebble
Send a message

Post by grebble
Thanks for the reply Fej.

I echo most of the other replies on here: I agree that it is probably something to do with the OS getting overloaded, but it isn't specific to Froyo. I had stability issues with Waze on Android 2.1 as well, and it's no worse with Froyo. If anything, Froyo is better at handling it, as I haven't had to pull the battery off since I've upgraded.

As rcocchiararo said, Froyo has been officially released for the Motorola Droid and the HTC Desire, and others are following suit, so it's certainly not just the Nexus One that has it now. I can understand it if custom ROMS cause crashing, but mine is stock.

I hope you find a resolution soon. In the meantime I think I'm going to have to use Waze on my work Blackberry until the situation with Android improves.
grebble
Send a message

Post by grebble
rcocchiararo wrote:brilliant idea comes to mind -> gets his milestone out of the box and uses it for waze sharing the nexus one internet conection -_-

no other workaround for now.
LOL, this really does work! Tried this with my Nokia 5800 without a SIM this morning, using WiFi tethering on my Desire. A bit fiddly to set up but enough to keep us going for the time being.

Good thinking rcocchiararo :)
grebble
Send a message

Post by GroessterNehmer
grebble wrote:After several days of sudden crashes and force closes, today was a better day.
I'm on the same waze version and phone and had the same problem. But what I found is that when you just wait while the phone seems frozen it comes back eventually. Although it can take a couple of minutes.

What I just realized after a firmware update: it was the first time I restarted my phone. :D I am so happy that I got rid of my Samsung Galaxy and bought the Desire!
GroessterNehmer
Send a message
Area Manager Braunschweig und Wolfenbüttel

Post by Hellek
I got it from the Market.
Hellek
Send a message

Post by Hellek
Yeah the only thing I can say in defense of Waze is that the fault actually lies within Android. If an app can make the phone crash (it reboots because it notes a crash in a vital part of the operating system, basically the same thing as the famous bluescreen in windows) it is not the app's fault, it is the fault of the OS. It is supposed not to permit any app doing anything that makes the phone crash (if you rooted, superuser apps are a different thing, but Waze got nothing to do with that anyway).

Unfortunately fixing something in the Android OS takes at least a few months and you can never know whether all manufacturers give the update to all their phones. So the only thing that can be done is that the waze team investigates and fixes what causes the bug in the phone. Even if it is not their fault. I hope they manage to do that soon.
Hellek
Send a message

Post by IvarKa
Lot of crash reports here. Mine in just slooooow (HTC Hero 2.1). After clicking menu button or on the screen it takes 5-10 seconds before it responds. Phone and other apps are running ok.

Ivar
IvarKa
Send a message
Area Manager Trondheim, Norway