Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Is the satilite Maps the best thing to match roads with?

Post by mobile_bob
I have been using the satellite maps to correct roads, because my GPS records (From the Iphone) are pretty inaccurate. Is this the best policy? Should the roads follow the satellite map or is that just a visual suggestion and not very accurate either?

Travis
mobile_bob

POSTER_ID:28516

Send a message

Post by RallyChris
I find that the background overlay is fine for adding things if there are just not enough GPS tracks to average out. Note that in some areas the background is actual aerial photography, so depending on the angle the photo was taken at the roads might not match up well.

As long as it is in the ballpark, Waze will move it around with enough route data during the nightly data crunching.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by sketch
Ultimately, using the average of your GPS traces will be the best thing to do, although you'll need to drive a road at least a dozen times for them to average out enough to eliminate outliers. I would match them to the satellite map for now and use the GPS data to line it up later, if you're getting big tracking problems.

I've noticed a bunch of straight bridges aren't straight in the satellite pictures. I guess the angle of the satellite photo caused them to look curved! In this case it seems that I'm lucky to live in a city with about a 10 foot range of elevations :lol:
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!