New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Postby DAmaNIac » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:14 pm

I get your point, however I don't consider it a top priority. If you integrate a car-dock mode you must also think of the people who use other solutions, where the phone doesn't switch into this mode. If everything else is running smoothly, then it's time to integrate such features imho...

And what about the report feature? Have you tried to enter a police trap or a speed cam while driving? I have a Milestone, where the screen is quite large and it's considered high res (and it's the excuse for not having a 3D mode, but that's another point), but while you try to find the small buttons and press them and wait while the software reacts to your actions, you're a danger to your and the safety of others. Someone suggested a button and then 4-6 large buttons that fill the screen where you simply press the button like traffic jam or speed cam.
There are a lot of speed cams I didn't enter into the system, because I missed them by a few 100 meters until the report feature cam up, I clicked on speed cam, press send and confirmed it... honestly, that's way too complicated and you people complain about having to press the exit button?

To make it clear, I really like the concept and working with it, at least most of the time ;) But I also want to see some improvement or comments or the communities suggestion...

DAmaNIac
DAmaNIac

Postby StefanSarzio » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 pm

damaniac wrote:So it doesn't make sense when Waze stops working when you don't use it.

Your understanding of "when you don't use it" seems to be quite different from that of others. I consider running it in the background and providing data to others as "using it".

Waze shall shut down when you leave the car - not when you stop clicking around.

I think making it as maintenance-free as possible is essential to getting Waze on as many phones as possible.

Having to remember to shut it down manually will result in unnecessary reports of traffic jams and drained batteries.
StefanSarzio

Postby DAmaNIac » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Honestly I don't care if Waze goes into sleep mode or not. Today it's not really usable to navigate, because too much of the roads are not connected or you get a server timeout once in a while or the routes simply don't make any sense at all, but that's fine. I'm using Navigon or Google Maps while having Waze in background, just so I can get the rights to edit the streets on the way. So it doesn't make sense when Waze stops working when you don't use it.
Apparently Waze only crashed when I tried to do something with it, like report something or sometimes... just when I looked at it.
So my interest is, don't have me drive the same 500 km 3 times, just to make sure I can edit them. I try to take various roads to the same destination, so it's really annoying when you try to edit them and then you realize Waze didn't collect all the data and does not allow you the edit the streets, especially in areas where noone else cares to edit something.

One thing I learned about the car dock is, that when you put your phone into the dock while Waze is starting (the blue Waze boot screen) it stops responding, sometimes when you plug the power connector in. So I have to 1) plug the power in 2) start Waze and wait until I think it's ready for the dock and then put it into the dock. I can deal with it, but I'm sure not the every day user.
DAmaNIac

Postby grebble » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 am

damaniac wrote:I would say that your main priorities should be stability and a better handling of network errors.

Well said, that man :)

I am one of those users that keep bleating about the iPhone being given priority over other platforms for new features etc. but I would be quite happy if I didn't have those fancy features but did have a rock solid app that didn't freeze the phone and could be relied upon to keep running in the background whilst running Spotify and Google Maps navigation (tried this a couple of weeks ago and it was a miserable failure). That said, it would be even nicer if, as above, it could be just left running in the background and automatically quit when it's no longer being used, a la iPhone.

And Stefan, I agree with you. I use Setting Profiles to automatically turn Bluetooth on when connected to the car charger, and then start Waze when I connect to my Bluetooth car kit. That works great, but there's no way to kill it cleanly when I get out of the car.

I upgraded to v1.9 last night and even that crashed on my way to work today - admittedly only once :roll: and it just quit to the desktop rather than freeze the whole phone, so it's an improvement over v1.8.

So devs, please please work on the stability of Waze on Android. I will happily bombard you with Waze log files and OS logs if it helps.
grebble

Postby StefanSarzio » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:40 am

damaniac wrote:Android users are able to press the "exit" button, they are smart ;)

...but lazy. I got a smartphone because I want it to make my live easier, not more complicated.

Android can do great things (other OSs can't) - it would be nice if at least the most basic ones like automatic starting (does work) and stopping (does not work) Waze would be supported. We're not talking rocket science here.
StefanSarzio

Postby DAmaNIac » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 am

Hi,

unfortunately I have to agree. Waze is the only application that constantly freezes, crashes or reboots the phone. Honestly I too don't care about the iPhone user habits. Android users are able to press the "exit" button, they are smart ;)
It seems the product fails due too many good intentions that lead into an unstable software. Maybe a little step back and easier routines will allow a good and stable product.
Even as a beta tester it's not easy to ignore the instability of the software. Who cares about new features like colors and compression (btw does is compress the cache data or the transferred data? How about a little documentation about the features and also about the preferences file) if the software does not allow the first step in your entire process and that is to drive and validate as much roads as possible.

I would say that your main priorities should be stability and a better handling of network errors. And for cartouche... editing without destroying the map (removing junctions e.g.).

Just my 2 cents... but keep up the good work :)

DAmaNIac
DAmaNIac

Postby grebble » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:48 pm

StefanSarzio wrote:From the glorious iOS announcement: "While some simpler implementations require the user to manually disconnect the app, waze has a different approach to background processing and shut down. When waze goes into the background, algorithms are applied to detect whether or not the device is in motion."

There's an simple and easy solution for exactly this problem on Android (without any fuzzing with 'smart' alogrithms doing educated guesses), allowing you to shut down Waze in a clean way at precise the correct time - yet you still didn't get that right, although that solution was available from the beginning...and was requested several times.

In case you see Waze on Android as some kind of second class citizen: why don't you just say that loud and send everybody over to Google Navigation?

I agree, Stefan. I just find it very strange that multitasking has been present for years on WinMo, Symbian, Blackberry and Android, and it has just been taken for granted that the user will simply end the app when they've finished with it. But now 'The Almighty' Steve Jobs has finally got on board the multitasking bandwagon, suddenly the strategy is being rethought in a blaze of glory. Why, again, are iPhone users given preferential treatment? Or is it just that they can't be trusted to end their apps manually, just as they can't be trusted to hold their phones properly? ;) :(

I must say, the only app on my phone that is unstable and crashes regularly is Waze. Yet is was rock solid on my Nokia 5800. Maybe the whole app on Android needs to be re-visited from the ground up.
grebble

Postby rcocchiararo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:19 am

I have a motorola milestone.

Both .105 and .106 ended up hanging (or hanging my phone) after trips of an hour or so.

should i go back to 1.7 and see if it worked fine ?
rcocchiararo

Postby Lemon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:55 pm

[/quote]
Yeah, that sounds like "Nexus One Screwy ClearTouch2000". Touch one spot, registers elsewhere.

Next time it happens, go into standby for a second, hit power again.. Unlock as needed. Is it fixed?

I see this periodically, but not at all restricted to just in Waze.. In fact not sure I've ever seen it in waze.[/quote]

I'll give this a shot. I assume standby being that the screen goes blank for a second and then bring it back up.

Is there any way to manually calibrate the LED screen instead of sending back to HTC?
Lemon

Postby StefanSarzio » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:34 am

From the glorious iOS announcement: "While some simpler implementations require the user to manually disconnect the app, waze has a different approach to background processing and shut down. When waze goes into the background, algorithms are applied to detect whether or not the device is in motion."

There's an simple and easy solution for exactly this problem on Android (without any fuzzing with 'smart' alogrithms doing educated guesses), allowing you to shut down Waze in a clean way at precise the correct time - yet you still didn't get that right, although that solution was available from the beginning...and was requested several times.

In case you see Waze on Android as some kind of second class citizen: why don't you just say that loud and send everybody over to Google Navigation?
StefanSarzio

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements