Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Gas prices maps beyond what's near me?

Post by kwhistle
First post here, so not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. I can't seem to figure out how get a map of gas prices from all over town and not just within few miles of my location. Kind of like what you get on the gasbuddy map. Or is just not possible?
kwhistle

POSTER_ID:13180284

Send a message

Post by CBenson
Two blocks? The OP wanted more than a few miles. If I search for gas stations, I get plenty of results farther than two blocks away, but not as far afield as kwhistles link.
GasPrices.jpg
(40.33 KiB) Downloaded 3179 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Instigater
porubcan wrote:Exactly. The radius is like 2 miles around current position. That should be enough in given scenario.
It is not enought in Latvia. We live 30km away from nearest 5 nearest Gas stations. It would be nice to see closest 20 Gas station around current location. Right now I have just "Cannot find Gas stations around". :( This way I don't know to witch city I have to drive.
Instigater
Send a message
Community Coordinator: Latvia
LV community: Operācija "Meži" - saraujam!
Other communities: Take the challenge! Go green! Improve map of your country and show us the progress!

Post by ispyisail
I have the same complaint.

Foursquare also has the same problem with searchs for places on waze.
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by jwkilgore
The much-touted Gas Price functionality is all but worthless to most people. By the time I'm close enough to the gas station for the search to pull it up I can usually already see the price on the sign.

I don't WANT to know the price of gas right next to me, I want to know the price of gas at stations within a couple of miles, specifically within an area I'll be driving anyway. I'll gladly drive a few miles (burning 1/10 gallon, or about $0.30) that may be able to save me $0.10/gallon on a 20-gallon fill-up ($2.00).

Yes, I enter prices into Waze when I fill up, and I've added several stations while editing, but Waze is horrible for finding gas prices in the USA and Canada. Download and use GasBuddy.
jwkilgore
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c
Area Manager: Mississippi and Tennessee

Post by jwkilgore
But what if I'm just running errands and not routing? Say I need to hit the hardware store, church, pharmacy, and grocery store, and at some point along the way fill up with gas. I'll pass 5 gas stations along the way, plus another 10 within a mile or so of the stores. If I want to find out which one is cheapest I simply open GasBuddy and look at the map. All are shown... plus another dozen that are farther out.

I'm not going to enter all the nav points into Waze (I don't know the addresses anyway) to get a route to every store because that would be a pain.

Why can't I simply search for gas stations farther than 2 blocks away using Waze?
jwkilgore
Send a message
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c

Post by jwkilgore
When I'm wrong I admit it, and I'm wrong here. I apologize for attempting to pass along false information.

Hitting the "Report" button only shows gas stations within a few blocks, and it looks like this is only to be used for reporting prices (duh). Hitting the "Menu" button shows a list of stations within several miles. From my current location (inside a building, so the location of the nearest cell tower) I see stations at least 2.7 miles away.
jwkilgore
Send a message
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c

Post by kwhistle
porubcan wrote:Use Gas button in main menu. It will give you list of Gas stations in neighborhood.
Ah, thank you so much for nothing.

I just happened to have figured out how to search gas prices "in neighborhood". It just that my question wasn't about that. It was about displaying gas prices on a map beyond what's near me. As in a gas prices map of the whole town, whole state, or whole country.
kwhistle
Send a message

Post by kwhistle
ok, that settles it. I was hoping it could do something like the gasbuddy.com maps.

Like what you can see here for Washington, DC gas prices:

http://www.washingtondcgasprices.com/ma ... ft=A&tl=48

If you look at that map, you can see prices all over town, all over state, and anywhere on the map that you zoom into. With Waze, if you drag around on the map, you won't see the gas stations with prices outside of your immideate range. I'd say it's a flaw, since they have that data already, so why not just show it. But at least its good to know the limitations.
kwhistle
Send a message

Post by kwhistle
jwkilgore wrote: From my current location (inside a building, so the location of the nearest cell tower) I see stations at least 2.7 miles away.
That's exactly what I saw. I wish there was a way to change the settings for unlimited display, not just within 2.7 miles (= 5km ???).
kwhistle
Send a message