Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by bgodette
CBenson wrote:
bgodette wrote:
porubcan wrote:If you touch any segment at all using just WME on basemap it disables all automatic processing including opening soft turns. Basically unless the last editor is Admin (-1) or undefined, automatic processing doesn't touch.
Wrong. Basically if there soft-turn (doesn't matter if soft-allowed or soft-restricted) exists on the junction it will remain soft until someone set it manually to hard. You may edit everything else on the segment (like geometry, city/street names, etc.), but this will not affect existing soft-turns at all.
I'm hearing the two of you saying different non-contradictory things. If there is a soft-turn, yes it will remain soft until someone sets manually to hard. But if the segment has never been edited that soft-turn restriction is free to be automatically changed from soft restricted to soft enabled based on drive data. So editing a never before edited segment does affect the ability of a soft restricted turn to change to a soft enabled turns. But this editing does not affect the actual soft status of the turn restriction. Can you both be correct?
His concern is that making them hard restricted thru either qw or jnf, means they never update to allowed. I'm saying touching any property of the segment also prevents them from ever updating to allowed as well but goes the extra horrible step of leaving them soft so you end up with even worse routes from the low penalties in a mixed environment.

Sloppy mass edits are bad, mmmkay.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
porubcan wrote:Point was that routing servers allow routes via soft-restricted turns, but hardly via hard-restricted. And if someone uses JNF on basemap before turns are set correctly, it might be real problem.
But only if *all* turns are soft-restricted. As soon as there's any soft-allowed or hard-allowed inside the routing limits (1000 miles ptp on NA, ~500 miles ptp rotw), it all falls over and is actually worse. Since that's a near certainty I'm sure you can understand why doing incomplete work is bad.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bigdragon26
Does anybody els get this. When on Waze and asking the Add on to go to Gmaps or other I get NAN NAN in the search box. I use to go directly to the correct coordinates.

Thanks for the help.

BD
bigdragon26
Send a message
[img]https:///kw8w7[/img][img]https:///mgUUB[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/4/42/Ca.png
I can help you in English, Je peux vous aider en Francais, Los puedo ayudar en Español

Post by bigdragon26
iainhouse wrote:
bigdragon26 wrote:Does anybody els get this. When on Waze and asking the Add on to go to Gmaps or other I get NAN NAN in the search box. I use to go directly to the correct coordinates.

Thanks for the help.

BD
AFAIK, the only default links in WME Addons are to OSM and Livemap. You can add links to Addons, but this information is stored in a cookie which is linked to the website URL. Since the editor URL has changed, it gets a new cookie and loses the old links. You may have to re-do the link.
Thanks iainhouse.

Do you know how to re-do the link?

Thank you

BD

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4
bigdragon26
Send a message
[img]https:///kw8w7[/img][img]https:///mgUUB[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/4/42/Ca.png
I can help you in English, Je peux vous aider en Francais, Los puedo ayudar en Español

Post by bz2012
suggested addition: 'fix broken nodes'.
Would be similar to 'suppress extra junctions' in that it would look at all nodes in the current screen but it would run the 'junction node fixer' on all revcons, softcons and u-turn nodes.

Has the potential to fix many problems without any down-side that I can see, off hand.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
bgodette wrote:
bz2012 wrote:suggested addition: 'fix broken nodes'.
Would be similar to 'suppress extra junctions' in that it would look at all nodes in the current screen but it would run the 'junction node fixer' on all revcons, softcons and u-turn nodes.

Has the potential to fix many problems without any down-side that I can see, off hand.
Down side is you're leaving any turn restrictions that should or should not be set unable to be updated by user drives. So unless you're going to guarantee that all turn restrictions are correct, this is a massively bad idea.
Won't WAZE continue producing Problem Reports when it sees drivers taking turns against arrows and down wrong way segments, asking us to check the area and verify things?

Granted, WAZE may stop (if it still currently does) changing the turn restrictions without asking for editor verification.
But that may be a good thing because drivers sometimes make illegal turns and people using WAZE in ways not intended like walking or biking can make WAZE 'think' the turn restrictions are wrong and change them, causing drivers to later be routed over illegal turns.

Also, it is my understanding that a 'forbidden turn' is not really absolutely forbidden, the route is just given a low priority, WAZE still seems to send people along it, as evidenced by all the recent 'route not taken' reports in which drivers are being sent the wrong way down one way segments and down dead end streets. These sometime seem somewhat related to 'nearby [within a few miles?!!!] revcons, soft turns or u-turn nodes.

Might it not be best to remove these 'things' that are currently being blamed for the bad routes so that the REAL problems underlying the crazy routing can finally be tracked down and fixed?
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
bgodette wrote:
bz2012 wrote:WAZE still seems to send people along it, as evidenced by all the recent 'route not taken' reports in which drivers are being sent the wrong way down one way segments and down dead end streets.
That's only evidence of Waze running against the entire drive history to generate those automated problems, which has been covered many times.
If that is true, then the small amount of traffic along some busy roads where I have seen those warning pop up, makes absolutely no sense.

I would expect to see numbers of 'did not take' in the thousands, considering the number of GPS tracks I have seen in some of those places or are you saying that the misdirections took place several years ago, when the maps were first drawn and WAZE is ignoring all the proper routing that has taken place since then?

And exactly where has this been 'covered many times'? I didn't find satisfactory explanations in the 'sea of orange' thread . Is there another thread covering the topic in more depth?

And, lets assume that there are sufficient reasons NOT to automate fixing soft-cons.
I don't see that the argument applies equally to rev-cons and u-turn nodes. Don't those need fixing in any case?
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
enhket wrote:
petervdveen wrote:What does 'Snap dist' actualy do? ;)
it is the "magnetic effect" between 2 segments. the effect is as high as snap dist is.
As best I can tell from observations, if you 'click' within 1 snap radius of a node, the node will be selected. The same should happen if you are within 1 snap distance from a segment.

It seems to me that if you are within 1 snap distance of multiple objects, the priority seems to be
nearest node, nearest segment, in that order.

Does anyone have definitive information from digging into the program or having written it?

The "WME add on" appears to allows you to CHANGE the snap distance from the default so that you can 'taylor' the editors snap behavior to your taste. Again, if someone has different information, please chime in. I am just guessing.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
I think I have seen the idea somewhere before in some forum posting but it clearly has never been put into practice. It sure would be nice if it could either be added to WME directly or the the WME add on:

A "layer is turned on indicator" that would ALWAYS be visible on the screen as a reminder to us as to which layers are currently 'turned on'.
I say this because sometimes a layer gets turned off but I don't realize it, such as the 'Map Problems' layer or the 'Update Requests' layer. When this happens, I may miss seeing a problem or a request.

I don't know the easiest place to put the idea in.
Perhaps a whole new add-on, perhaps build into the excellent WME add on, or even 'DIRECTLY into WME.'

Perhaps this pictures will spark some interest in 'making it happen.' :)
indicator.png
layer on indicator
(18.89 KiB) Downloaded 2483 times
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
svx-biker wrote:With the release of the new WME it doesn't work anymore.
+1
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message