Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Highway Off-Ramp Segment Question

Post by hmarian
Hello,

I had some ongoing discussion with EECGeek about some of his recent edits that includes saving the tip of the highway off-ramp connection to a two way parallel road segments as a street, vs. continuation of the ramp.
He says that he is convinced that he read it somewhere in the forum, that this is how the end of the off-ramp should be, but since he couldn't refer me to the source, I'm asking those of you who know the answer to come and help us figure this out.

See the two examples below and please tell us which of the two is the right way connecting the tip of the off-ramp to the road.

Example 1

Example 2

Thanks,
Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:170262

Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by andrewkjs
The route that goes from ramp -> street -> minor highway (https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... 3,60185374) might not work over long-distance routing, since Waze will try to stick to highway-type segments over a long distance. At least, this is what I understand from another forum post. Perhaps other experienced editors can chime in here.
andrewkjs
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png
Area Manager: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
Waze Malaysia: FB | G+ | Forum | Wiki

Post by andrewkjs
rottielover wrote:mapcat bow tie?
I don't think that's going to be necessary here. Bow ties are used to stop u-turns on cross junctions, but on t-junctions, you can set up the turn restrictions in a way to stop the u-turns from happening, which is already being done here.
andrewkjs
Send a message

Post by andrewkjs
ottonomy wrote:Since your question about the applicability of bow-ties is still up was the air, I thought I would take the time to confirm my own thoughts on that. I created some temporary example roads out in the sticks, so I could fiddle with turn restrictions and make useful screenshots without possibly messing up someone's hard work.
This was a good explanation that matches what I had in my head, but didn't have the time to put down into text and screenshots. Thanks for taking the time to put it together, I'm adding your post into my Waze best practices folder for future reference.
andrewkjs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree with Andrew. Don't use street segments, use ramp or the same class of highway as the split road. So I would say Example 2 is better.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Spil wrote:If it is at a T-intersection, or if the crossroad is named the same on both sides of the split road, then there's no problem with naming the median segment the same as those segments.
Agreed, although if it as at one-way segment that ends at the T (as in the original examples), there's not much point to naming the segment either. The only time the segment name will be used in the original examples is in navigation instructions for the U-turns, if permitted.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by EECGeek
Another question, if you're not using a bow tie, should the segment be named, while it will not be seen on the map, it seems redundant in the interest of wasted bytes (unless it is necessary for some reason). Or does the name of a segment have a bearing on file size and or routing or anything else?

Greg
EECGeek
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
hmarian wrote:Could someone explain the concept of bow ties
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maq2s ... o1_400.png
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by hmarian
Could someone explain the concept of bow ties and how is it related to the question asked?

Any other thoughts so we could reach conclusion on this?

Thanks,
Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by hmarian
So what is the conclusion?
Using example 1 or example 2?
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester