Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by dsfargeg
So my turn onto Latta Road was:
from Manitou Rd Southbound
To Latta Rd Eastbound

Regarding the wiki page, I got to this forum thread from Abbreviations_and_acronyms/USA#Pronunciation_fixes. Maybe this deserves its own wiki page.

Anyways, If I do a "cc@tts" first, and pick source and destination near the offending road name, there aren't many TTS files to go through.
dsfargeg
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dsfargeg
PesachZ wrote:
dsfargeg wrote:So my turn onto Latta Road was:
from Manitou Rd Southbound
To Latta Rd Eastbound
I'm not hearing it wrong, or I'm not understanding what you're hoping to hear. Are you able to get the tts file that sounds wrong, and one that sounds right from your phone?
Files attached.
1440499777-887347-10.tts: Correct pronounciation when reading the address of the destination on Latta Road.
1440499779-24500-21.tts: Incorrect pronounciation when turning from Manitou to Latta.
dsfargeg
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Attachments

Post by dsfargeg
PesachZ wrote:
dsfargeg wrote:
Files attached.
1440499777-887347-10.tts: Correct pronounciation when reading the address of the destination on Latta Road.
1440499779-24500-21.tts: Incorrect pronounciation when turning from Manitou to Latta.
The pitch and tone of the prompt is different, but neither sounds more like landa than Latta to me. I'm not sure we'll be able to do anything on this one.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. How should I respond to the ur?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
dsfargeg
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dsfargeg
So driving around, i've found 3 more TTS problems. It seems like this could get out of hand easily. Do we have a "good enough" threshold, or do we want to report everything?

dsfargeg
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dsfargeg
Opinion wanted:
Jane pronounces Hylan drive in Henrietta NY so it rhymes with Dylan. Should be HIGH-lin. Confusing enough to change? If so i'll provide the segment links and TTS files.

dsfargeg
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Quick testing today showed these results. Only one failure.

Dr. MLK Jr. Pkwy = doctor em ell kay junior parkway
St. Penn Pkwy W = saint pen parkway west
Dr. St. John St = doctor saint jon street
St. Dr. St N = saint doctor street north
S Penn Dr = south pen drive
Penn Dr S = pen drive south
SH-219 = state highway two nineteen
US-410 BUS S = you ess four ten business south
I-84 BUS = eye eighty four bus
Talk about the "usual suspects"!

Can I suggest adding "Mt." (or Mt?) for "Mount" to the "usual suspects" list? Rarer than the others perhaps, but even in my neighborhood there is a "Mount Hermon Rd". We spell it out now and nobody's in a hurry to change that, but it would be nice to know if we could abbreviate if we wanted to.

Edit: In Washington there must be a "Mt St Helens Dr" or something like it somewhere :)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Already, MT = "mountain" according to the big list.
Does this mean "Mt St Helens Dr" would TTS as "Mountain Saint Helens Drive"? In that case street names beginning with "Mount" should probably continue to spell it out.

I am curious about this topic but as I do not quite know where the "big list" is officially documented and how TTS chooses from the "big list" as opposed to the list published in the Abbreviations and acronyms wiki -- I assume it involves the position of the abbreviation within the sequence but am not completely clear -- I should probably go back to lurking...!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
While perusing the "big list" I came upon a misspelling. It should be "crescent" with a c after the s. This is so minor it hardly seems worth mentioning, but it is a reference...
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
In a test this evening, TTS (iPhone, v3.9.4, Samantha) pronounced "Cañada" as "Canada". Which sounds wrong -- shouldn't it say Canyada? -- until one remembers that until quite recently TTS pronounced it "Ca-plus-minus-ada". :? :? :?

I don't know if this is in any way associated with the new version of the app. But it suggests we should finally be able to use ñ in street names without fear of egregiously weird pronunciation. Yay!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
PesachZ wrote:Can you tell me the full exact street name you tested?
When I tested it sounded like caada street, which is still better then ca ± ada Street.
Odd! I used "Cañada Rd" for the test. It was on a PR type road, and the announcement was for a right turn from a PS onto the PR. Pretty clearly sounded like Canada to me, but admittedly I've only run the test once in that one location.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message