Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Contribution frustrated in Mountain View, CA

Post by
I'm a rather new user, and have been enjoying using Waze for a couple of weeks. Been learning about editing, and thought I'd start with a mostly harmless area: a local shopping center and its parking lot.

I've now tried a few times to add in the parking lot roads (one time I made the mistake of adding in all the lanes, but the other times I've JUST added the main paths - entrance/exits, paths in front of stores, and the "back" roads that are commonly used and evidenced in the GPS tracks), but every time I add the roads, most, if not all of my work gets deleted. I've also tried adding some of the businesses - a bank, a couple of grocery stores, etc. - but those too have been deleted, or re-purposed.

The last time my work was re-purposed, one of the landmarks (I think it was the bank) was moved and changed to "Professional Panhandler"!

Questions:
Is there any way to tell if my work is being deleted by a prankster vs an experienced Wazer? (I'm content to concede to those who are trying to truly help the community, but would like to "win" the battle(s) over pranksters who are jokingly or not, vandalizing work. Or put another way, I want to contribute helpful edits, but am starting to get frustrated with doing and redoing the same thing, only to be deleted.)

What are considered best-practices for determining which Landmarks are appropriate? (I haven't found that (yet) in the Wiki.)

The area I've been working on (with the Panhandler - recently re-added) is: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... rks=598053

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

POSTER_ID:12816050

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
My pet peeve: Phyllis Ave should not be split. Doesn't fit the guidelines.

The the parking lot roads to the rear certainly are valid. There's also two front-side PLot entrances which look to be needed still, too.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Dave, post back if you want a CM to lock the segments.

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DaveHolzmann wrote:One more thought/question...

By splitting Grant Rd. wouldn't that better-clarify which direction traffic is backed-up?
Waze keeps track of the directions and shows which direction is backed up in the app visually. It could add better clarity, especially when it comes to user-posted reports if they include the direction. For these in-town roads, it is not normal to add the cardinal driving direction to the road name when split. Only highway and up get that.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:Except of course when it's suffering from the GPS->Car on map translation table bug that's been present ever since 3.0, and is still in the current betas.

The yellow triangle is the GPS position as the Waze client receives it (it's being displayed by the Waze client). The position of the car on map is what the client uses to determine if you're "off route".
Ugh, that looks horrible.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
DaveHolzmann wrote:Is there any way to tell if my work is being deleted by a prankster vs an experienced Wazer? (I'm content to concede to those who are trying to truly help the community, but would like to "win" the battle(s) over pranksters who are jokingly or not, vandalizing work. Or put another way, I want to contribute helpful edits, but am starting to get frustrated with doing and redoing the same thing, only to be deleted.)
The way that parking lot is set up right now looks pretty good to me. If you look at the "Created By" & Updated By" fields, you will notice that the editors name have a number in parentheses next to it - this is the user's editing rank. You are both level 1 editors - meaning you are either both new or have not taken steps to be promoted as an editor (promotions are not automatic nor guaranteed). Have you tried reaching out to the user who is making these changes (they updated the gas station and created the panhandler) via PM here in the forum?
DaveHolzmann wrote:What are considered best-practices for determining which Landmarks are appropriate? (I haven't found that (yet) in the Wiki.)
Right now the basic guideline is to not map individual businesses. This explains the disappearance of the banks, grocery stores, etc. A more complete set of guidelines in on the way. As for the gas station in your permalink - there is a lot of back-end work going on with gas stations and right now we're only putting the brand in the name field & leaving the description blank. Please note that to get the address (City) properties to save, you have to create the landmark, save it, then edit address and save again (known bug).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
We usually don't lock parking lots down, but in this case I'm going to do it...

I need you to keep a VERY close eye on it (check it as often as you can) to see if it gets deleted again (by a level 5 editor). If it does, there may be evidence as to who did the deletion on the main roads out front (i.e. last modified will change if two segments are merged when a junction is deleted).

I'm really hoping for a PM/forum post from the user asking why it's locked and I'll refer them to this thread and to talk to you.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
shawndoc wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:We usually don't lock parking lots down, but in this case I'm going to do it...

I need you to keep a VERY close eye on it (check it as often as you can) to see if it gets deleted again (by a level 5 editor). If it does, there may be evidence as to who did the deletion on the main roads out front (i.e. last modified will change if two segments are merged when a junction is deleted).

I'm really hoping for a PM/forum post from the user asking why it's locked and I'll refer them to this thread and to talk to you.
FYI, it now shows locked by me because I'm stupid. :oops:
WHAT DID YOU DO?!?!?! :lol:

In all seriousness, as long as Kent keeps an eye on it & you respond to a possible PM by pointing the user to this thread and Kent, we're all good.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by bgodette
gettingthere wrote:I agree that it sounds very unlikely that Wazers driving on the main road, on a route are being snapped to the Parking Lot roads. The Waze application has a very strong snap-to-route.
Except of course when it's suffering from the GPS->Car on map translation table bug that's been present ever since 3.0, and is still in the current betas.

The yellow triangle is the GPS position as the Waze client receives it (it's being displayed by the Waze client). The position of the car on map is what the client uses to determine if you're "off route".
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
gettingthere wrote:
bgodette wrote:Except of course when it's suffering from the GPS->Car on map translation table bug that's been present ever since 3.0, and is still in the current betas.
Does it do the same if you are in navigation mode/on a route?
Doesn't matter.

But on the plus side, it looks like they finally took care of the speedometer resolution issue after 4(?) years.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
shawndoc wrote:
Do you have more details on how/why this happens? Link to a thread where this has been discussed already would be appreciated.
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17719
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message