Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Backlanes/Alleyways

Post by james_8970
I feel that Waze needs to add a new road type to address backlanes/alleyways. Ideally a backlane/alleyway segment would be able to be added to the map with a penalty of exiting the backlane (similar to a parking lot) with a special junction that would not creating a penalty in the routing algorithm. The reason I feel that there should be no penalty is that traffic lights *rarely* (I'm not going to say never because I'm sure there is at least one somewhere) have traffic lights that would slow down traffic.

As it stands, I've seen backlanes added under the private road, service road and parking lot category types. Often they are removed and users don't know enough to also remove the junction left in a connecting street. I only add backlanes as I see UR requesting them - similar to how I add parking lot to the map. As Waze becomes more popular, I can see this becoming a growing problem if this segment type is not added to the editor.
James
james_8970

POSTER_ID:5877651

Send a message
Country Manager for Canada

Post by james_8970
Another suggestion completely unrelated to the first would be to make segments that you cannot drive on (walking trails for example), unable to be connected to segments that you can drive on. I'm finding that I have to waste a significant amount of time detaching walking trails and locking them. I know people say that you should remove them from the map, but that doesn't solve anything; it just makes people add the walking trails all over again.

My original request in this thread might be hard to implement, but I think this second one is pretty straightforward, if it could be programmed to be grandfathered in. That might be a big if.
James
james_8970
Send a message
Country Manager for Canada