Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How to indicate turns that inconvenience others

Post by atekant
I recently hit a routing issue which made me turn left a couple blocks before a major intersection (and right, left again) seemingly to help me not get stuck in the left turn lane at the major intersection ahead, which was probably 2-3 light cycles wait.

What happened though, was, I practically blocked one lane of 2 at the heat of the rush hour, as I couldn't make an easy turn with the oncoming heavy traffic either, and maybe in theory I may have saved 30 seconds on the upcoming major intersection.

All is good, but I would rather not be *that* guy. I would like to somehow indicate this to the system, but don't know how to make that change. The turn is technically "allowed" but quite asinine to do.

Is there a proper way of indicating this other than ignoring it and hoping that others ignore it too, hoping the automated system will pick it up?
atekant

POSTER_ID:13279055

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Just sitting there waiting to turn will start to get data into Waze it needs to make good routing decisions. Waze database tracks transit time from segment to segment, in intervals throughout the day, so that includes turn time. When ways sends you a way which seems clearly slower or inconvenient to you, it's likely because 1) there is a valid and legal route there and 2) data suggests it may be faster. Taking the route will make Waze's data better. In the FAQ, the answer for 'why doesn't Waze remember my route' is related to this one.

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Because if you simply restrict the turn, you will likely negatively impact those for which that turn is, for other reasons, the best way to get to a different location.

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Bigbear3764
If you can post a permalink of the area and which road you want the restricted turn on, then some editor from that area may be able to help you.

In my area, if the turn is that insane, and you can make a safe left from a controlled intersection, I will do that. I would rather you hear from your local editors in what they do in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Because if you simply restrict the turn, you will likely negatively impact those for which that turn is, for other reasons, the best way to get to a different location.

And chances are that's a perfectly valid and safe turn 80% of the time, and only difficult during certain hours (mwhich Waze will learn).
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
What Alan said, but of course, you're going to have to be "that guy" in order to feed that data to Waze. If you don't want to be "that guy", bypass the left turn, continue straight and let Waze recalculate. Eventually, someone will probably be "that guy" and Waze will get the picture.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message