New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Postby damaniac » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 am

Hi,

unfortunately I have to agree. Waze is the only application that constantly freezes, crashes or reboots the phone. Honestly I too don't care about the iPhone user habits. Android users are able to press the "exit" button, they are smart ;)
It seems the product fails due too many good intentions that lead into an unstable software. Maybe a little step back and easier routines will allow a good and stable product.
Even as a beta tester it's not easy to ignore the instability of the software. Who cares about new features like colors and compression (btw does is compress the cache data or the transferred data? How about a little documentation about the features and also about the preferences file) if the software does not allow the first step in your entire process and that is to drive and validate as much roads as possible.

I would say that your main priorities should be stability and a better handling of network errors. And for cartouche... editing without destroying the map (removing junctions e.g.).

Just my 2 cents... but keep up the good work :)

DAmaNIac
Area Manager Hamburg/Germany
Samsung Galaxy S2
damaniac

Postby StefanSarzio » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:40 am

damaniac wrote:Android users are able to press the "exit" button, they are smart ;)

...but lazy. I got a smartphone because I want it to make my live easier, not more complicated.

Android can do great things (other OSs can't) - it would be nice if at least the most basic ones like automatic starting (does work) and stopping (does not work) Waze would be supported. We're not talking rocket science here.
StefanSarzio

Postby grebble » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 am

damaniac wrote:I would say that your main priorities should be stability and a better handling of network errors.

Well said, that man :)

I am one of those users that keep bleating about the iPhone being given priority over other platforms for new features etc. but I would be quite happy if I didn't have those fancy features but did have a rock solid app that didn't freeze the phone and could be relied upon to keep running in the background whilst running Spotify and Google Maps navigation (tried this a couple of weeks ago and it was a miserable failure). That said, it would be even nicer if, as above, it could be just left running in the background and automatically quit when it's no longer being used, a la iPhone.

And Stefan, I agree with you. I use Setting Profiles to automatically turn Bluetooth on when connected to the car charger, and then start Waze when I connect to my Bluetooth car kit. That works great, but there's no way to kill it cleanly when I get out of the car.

I upgraded to v1.9 last night and even that crashed on my way to work today - admittedly only once :roll: and it just quit to the desktop rather than freeze the whole phone, so it's an improvement over v1.8.

So devs, please please work on the stability of Waze on Android. I will happily bombard you with Waze log files and OS logs if it helps.
Area manager: East Northants, West Cambs and Peterborough, UK
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.4), Waze v3.0.2.8
grebble

Postby damaniac » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Honestly I don't care if Waze goes into sleep mode or not. Today it's not really usable to navigate, because too much of the roads are not connected or you get a server timeout once in a while or the routes simply don't make any sense at all, but that's fine. I'm using Navigon or Google Maps while having Waze in background, just so I can get the rights to edit the streets on the way. So it doesn't make sense when Waze stops working when you don't use it.
Apparently Waze only crashed when I tried to do something with it, like report something or sometimes... just when I looked at it.
So my interest is, don't have me drive the same 500 km 3 times, just to make sure I can edit them. I try to take various roads to the same destination, so it's really annoying when you try to edit them and then you realize Waze didn't collect all the data and does not allow you the edit the streets, especially in areas where noone else cares to edit something.

One thing I learned about the car dock is, that when you put your phone into the dock while Waze is starting (the blue Waze boot screen) it stops responding, sometimes when you plug the power connector in. So I have to 1) plug the power in 2) start Waze and wait until I think it's ready for the dock and then put it into the dock. I can deal with it, but I'm sure not the every day user.
Samsung Galaxy S2
damaniac

Postby StefanSarzio » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 pm

damaniac wrote:So it doesn't make sense when Waze stops working when you don't use it.

Your understanding of "when you don't use it" seems to be quite different from that of others. I consider running it in the background and providing data to others as "using it".

Waze shall shut down when you leave the car - not when you stop clicking around.

I think making it as maintenance-free as possible is essential to getting Waze on as many phones as possible.

Having to remember to shut it down manually will result in unnecessary reports of traffic jams and drained batteries.
StefanSarzio

Postby damaniac » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:14 pm

I get your point, however I don't consider it a top priority. If you integrate a car-dock mode you must also think of the people who use other solutions, where the phone doesn't switch into this mode. If everything else is running smoothly, then it's time to integrate such features imho...

And what about the report feature? Have you tried to enter a police trap or a speed cam while driving? I have a Milestone, where the screen is quite large and it's considered high res (and it's the excuse for not having a 3D mode, but that's another point), but while you try to find the small buttons and press them and wait while the software reacts to your actions, you're a danger to your and the safety of others. Someone suggested a button and then 4-6 large buttons that fill the screen where you simply press the button like traffic jam or speed cam.
There are a lot of speed cams I didn't enter into the system, because I missed them by a few 100 meters until the report feature cam up, I clicked on speed cam, press send and confirmed it... honestly, that's way too complicated and you people complain about having to press the exit button?

To make it clear, I really like the concept and working with it, at least most of the time ;) But I also want to see some improvement or comments or the communities suggestion...

DAmaNIac
Samsung Galaxy S2
damaniac

Postby StefanSarzio » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:56 pm

damaniac wrote:I get your point, however I don't consider it a top priority. If you integrate a car-dock mode you must also think of the people who use other solutions, where the phone doesn't switch into this mode. If everything else is running smoothly, then it's time to integrate such features imho...

Well, if it stops people from using Waze, then it stops me from getting their traffic jam reports.

I'm here for the traffic jam reports - so (for me) that's THE top most priority.

Police traps I can get from Trapster, routing information I can get from Google Navigation.

What's distinguishing Waze from those is the potential (!) to provide the best traffic information.

And what about the report feature?

I didn't say that there is only one problem. What I said is that this one is A very important (in my point of view) and B easy to solve.
StefanSarzio

Postby alex » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:27 am

rcocchiararo wrote:I have a motorola milestone.

Both .105 and .106 ended up hanging (or hanging my phone) after trips of an hour or so.

should i go back to 1.7 and see if it worked fine ?

Hi rcocchiararo,
Can you notice some symptoms before hanging up: device overheat, network/gps failures?
What are the applications running in parallel?

Thanks in advance,
AGA
alex
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby alex » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:33 am

grebble wrote:...
I must say, the only app on my phone that is unstable and crashes regularly is Waze. Yet is was rock solid on my Nokia 5800. Maybe the whole app on Android needs to be re-visited from the ground up.

Hi grebble,
Did you encounter the stability problems in the latest (1.8.99.106 or 1.9.0.0) versions?
Can you connect the crashes timing to some activity: execution of application, device connection etc...?

Thanks in advance,
AGA
alex
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby grebble » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:25 am

alex wrote:Hi grebble,
Did you encounter the stability problems in the latest (1.8.99.106 or 1.9.0.0) versions?
Can you connect the crashes timing to some activity: execution of application, device connection etc...?

Thanks in advance,
AGA

Hi Alex,

The stability problems are in both versions, but 1.8.99.106 was far worse, to the point that it was unusable. 1.9.0.0 seemed better to start with when I loaded it yesterday, but it still crashed on my way to work. There wasn't any error message, it just quit to the desktop. It had been running for about 25 minutes and I hadn't done anything with the device. The log file, just before the crash, said something about a timeout whilst waiting for a tile.

On the way home yesterday, though, it was just as bad as it had been before. Waze would start and run as normal, but as soon as it had connected to the network, the whole phone would freeze. I managed to force it to close using my task killer, and then I switched to a 'scene' (HTC Sense profile) with no widgets, and used the task killer again to make sure nothing else whatsoever was running. Only then did Waze seem to run OK.

I did the same thing this morning on my commute, and it was mostly fine. Once, it dropped back to the desktop (again with apparently no warning), but didn't actually seem to close, as when I re-launched the app it was still connected to the network and didn't come up with the 'we seem to have found a bug' error message with the option to send a log. In the log, however, there is a stack dump in the roadmap_screen_refresh, roadmap_screen_repaint and roadmap_screen_repaint_square call stacks.

So unfortunately Waze seems to be just as unstable as it was, and it seems to be worse when there are more apps and widgets running. There does seem to be a long way to go before it can be called reliable, and I must say, that if I wasn't so keen on the concept of the project, I would have given up using Waze a long time ago, and that is probably what casual users are doing if they are having the same issues as me. The stability of Waze is a big barrier to gaining more users on Android, and it really needs to be sorted out.
Area manager: East Northants, West Cambs and Peterborough, UK
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.4), Waze v3.0.2.8
grebble

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements