Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by hmarian
Thanks for the explanation.
The concept of bow ties intersection is now clear to me.

My question regarding the two examples are related to the road type between the two parallel Northbound and Southbound. They are both a T junction to a parallel road segment, but I'm still not clear if it suppose to be a street type segment or a ramp type segment.

Please try to address my question in your answer.

Thanks,
Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by jmp316
Bow ties look terrible in the client IMO. I'd say option 2.
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
I answered earlier, I would keep it as a ramp. It is an exit to a road, not a crossroad.
jmp316
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
It seemed to me that the early consensus in this thread was that example 2 was better for routing purposes. Obviously, if U-turns are specifically allowed on the minor highway there at the intersection of the ramp, then a small two-way section would be needed there.

Since your question about the applicability of bow-ties is still up was the air, I thought I would take the time to confirm my own thoughts on that. I created some temporary example roads out in the sticks, so I could fiddle with turn restrictions and make useful screenshots without possibly messing up someone's hard work.

As andrewkjs said, a bow-tie is not necessary at a T-junction for controlling U-turns.

The off-ramp segments have permission to make their turns onto the highway:
Intersections12.jpg
(40.03 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
The southbound segment of the highway can have a left turn restriction to prevent it from using the short ramp segment to make a U-turn, but if it's not a T-junction, and another street is inline with the ramp, then the southbound highway segment needs permission to turn left onto that street. The median segment has to allow a lefthand turn going north, because that is one of the allowed turns from the off-ramp. So now you have potential U-turn routing from the map, and no way to prohibit it without also limiting a legal left turn:
Intersections34.jpg
(40.56 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Enter the mapcat bow-tie. With it in place, you can give the off-ramp segment and the highway segments all the turn permissions they need, but specifically restrict U-turns where applicable:
Intersections56.jpg
(40.59 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Does this make sense?
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by PhantomSoul
I agree that bow ties look weird in the client, particularly if you have it set to auto-zoom and you stop for a red light. So I try to avoid them unless improper u-turn instructions start to become repeat problems in a particular junction.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by rottielover
mapcat bow tie?
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///9EKWfE[/img] [img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | To Do - St. Louis MO
To Do - Missouri | Missouri Mapping Resources | Missouri Forum

Post by rottielover
andrewkjs wrote:
rottielover wrote:mapcat bow tie?
I don't think that's going to be necessary here. Bow ties are used to stop u-turns on cross junctions, but on t-junctions, you can set up the turn restrictions in a way to stop the u-turns from happening, which is already being done here.
That is one benefit, but the other benefit is allowing you to connect split roads to singles using a single junction point. It's just a thought.

Edit, I took a 2nd look. The turn restrictions are such that you can make a U-Turn if you were heading South on Keele and came to this "T" segment. (example 1). From the aerial image it doesn't look like a u turn would be allowed there, but I have no familiarity with Canada, you'd have to tell me if you would be allowed a U-Turn there. *IF* not, then the bow tie method would allow you to suppress any U-turns, and bring all the segments to one junction. Again it's just a thought, and I have no idea about the U-Turns at that location.
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by rottielover on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]https:///9EKWfE[/img] [img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | To Do - St. Louis MO
To Do - Missouri | Missouri Mapping Resources | Missouri Forum

Post by Spil
If it is at a T-intersection, or if the crossroad is named the same on both sides of the split road, then there's no problem with naming the median segment the same as those segments.

However, if the crossroad has different road names or city names on each side of the split road (for example, N. Main St. above the split and S. Main St. below the split), then you must leave the median segment as "No Name", so that the turn instructions will pick up the appropriate segment name from the next segment automatically.
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png