Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by HandofMadness
skbun wrote:...then you are using an old version of the script before that functionality was built in. Make sure you're on 1.5 or the newest beta. When an alt street has the selected city, it will be highlighted with a dashed line. When the primary street does, it'll have a solid line.
That was the problem. Thanks. I thought I had upgraded to the new script was it was released in Nov, guess not.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Just based on this discussion, and me trying to fix some of these (fixed a whole bunch of Alabama and "Other" state alt names), I noticed a lot of roads have the same name in the Alt field. So real name and Alt name are exactly the same (Except maybe the state field). Seems like a waste of database entries.

Kinda wish there was a script that automatically deleted alt names if the the street and city match the regular name.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
PhantomSoul wrote:This is probably not so important now, since addresses are resolved through Bing, but ultimately when Waze itself can resolve addresses, it will somehow need to know that one side of the street is one city while the other side is a different city, since that will be reflected in the street's addresses.
You are forgetting that often the "City" associated with an address and the actual city limits don't always match.

We'll have to see, but I'm guessing the new system won't care the name of the street associated with a segment.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
My hope with the new system is it works like this:

- Bing (or whoever) continues to be the primary provider of address lookup coordinates
- Waze maintains an "override" database of addresses that have been entered by Waze editors to correct bad address location info provided by Bing.

We already know the addresses are no longer going to be tied to segments, and instead will be pinpoints. It would be insane if Waze expects editors to enter in every address in the world manually one by one, especially when there are 3rd party address sources already out there.

This allows Waze editors to correct addresses much quicker than the current "submit to Bing/3rd party and pray" methodology, it also allows us to position addresses where the entrance actually is. In many places, the address is on street X, however the main access is provided off of street Y for various reasons. It would also solve the Bing issues where the GPS coordinates are properly located on the building, however the building is closer to an alley/street behind the location, causing Waze to route there instead of the main entrance in front (often caused by parking lots between the street and the building).

The search methodology on the back-end would first check the Waze maintained database on an address lookup, and if found, use the Waze entered pinpoint coordinated for navigation, if not found in the Waze database, it would then forward the query to Bing/3rd Party as it does now.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by harling
dirgela wrote:I can't find a way to report the abuse by the user MagicLT, who is splitting all the roads into two oneway streets...
This seems to be a favorite pastime among new editors--even without Cartouche's all-too-easy "split road" function. Thankfully, my learning curve took place in my hometown, when I was probably the first/only Wazer using the roads, so I got to see first-hand the pros and cons without inconveniencing anyone but myself.

If you post a Permalink to an example of this splitting, maybe a ranking editor can step in, and (if necessary) fix the damage and lock the road.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
nnote wrote:Well, this morning I found an entire FREAKING HIGHWAY moved and hundreds of farm fields mapped!
I dont have access to the area and I cant even get on with my daily edits because this mess is stressing me out!
Farm fields mapped? (Permalink?)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jasonh300
Kandralla wrote:even weirder they all show up with as being in Alabama when this is in Pittsburgh.
What's his rank? Sounds like he must be using the old editor if the state is coming up as Alabama.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
shawndoc wrote: Alabama is still default on WME when editing multiple new segments at once. No idea if it will let you save as that though.
I've never seen any option other than the state I'm editing in, even when editing multiple segments.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Okay...near borders, I've seen the option. But only of the two bordering states. I don't see why shawndoc should ever see an option for Alabama where he's editing (California).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Kandralla wrote:The user contacted me this morning... I'll leave it at that for now.

As for state and country, in Erie, PA I've noticed new segments randomly defaulting to things near the border (New York, Ohio, and occasionally the country goes to Canada) but never something completely in a different area.
There are border issues in some spots where WME doesn't seem to know what state you're in. The Louisiana border extends east into MIssissippi almost 50 miles at a couple of points. I was drawing in a new subdivision in Gulfport, MS the other day and about half of the segments defaulted to Louisiana and half defaulted to MIssissippi, so I guess I was right on the line. They all would've allowed me to select either state, but if I tried to save with Louisiana on there, it gave an error that I was too far from the state. :?:
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message