Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST HERE

Read these rules:
1. Use this forum ONLY if your country does not have a Dedicated Forum for update requests.
2. Read the forum posting instructions.

Level 5 assistance needed in North East Ohio

Post by WazinBruce
So I travel the route up and down I-271 between Route 422 every day and the problem is this. There are local lanes and express lanes, in the center, of both the northbound and southbound directions. I choose not to take the express lanes and stay in the local lanes, although Waze tries to push me to the express lanes. I have tried several times staying as far to the right as possible, when nearing the express lane on-ramps, to tell Waze I am staying in the local lanes but it still shows me as going to the express lanes. If I zoom in on the client it shows me in the local lanes sometimes, the express lanes others, and my concern is when reporting hazards etc it is reporting them in the wrong set of lanes. Today I zoomed in and it definitely showed me traveling in the express lanes heading north, but when I pulled up my drive in the editor it shows me traveling in the local lanes? Is there a change that needs to be made to the on-ramps or something to detect when people choose not to take these? This permalink takes you to the one it wanted me to take, and thought I took, even though I stayed in the local lanes. Thank in advance for your help, trying to make Waze a better place for all in NEO.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
WazinBruce

POSTER_ID:11390275

Send a message
Just Wazin' through life and loving it!

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png

Active Editor for East Side of Cleveland, Ohio

Wiki Resources: Ohio Wazeopedia | New Ohio Editors | Ohio Area Managers

Post by Bigbear3764
UR-Update request. When you hit the map problem button on your phone, type a description of problem and it puts the flag on the Update map on the server.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
Have you tried the same routes in other mapping apps (to rule out any GPS irregularities)?

The next time this happens, can you report a map issue so that it will capture your track?
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
kuduboet wrote: I tested it with my Garmin today and the Garmin clearly stayed in the local lanes and when I was being navigated, Waze "drifted" into the express lanes but when I was later driving with Waze, but not navigating, it showed me staying in the local lanes. So to me it confirms it is some sort of logic issue with Waze when navigating, not an accuracy issue.
Sorry, I meant another GPS app on the same device that is running Waze. I have no doubt that GPS is accurate enough to make a distinction (when using a good receiver, with good ephemeral data, a good antenna, good antenna orientation, and good satellite visibility). But a GPS receiver in a phone with obscured satellite visibility and who-knows-how-much latency in calculations vs. rendering (plus whatever other tradeoffs the manufacturer made in order to cram that much functionality into what is primarily a communication device)-- maybe not (or maybe not, given the variability of RF equipment, on a specific unit at a specific point in time/space).

Note that the satellites are always moving, so to even begin to compare receivers you'd need to be at the same place at the same time and in the same vehicle with the antennas in the same place/orientation, etc. That's why running another app on the same device at (roughly) the same time would help pinpoint the source of error(s) in this situation.
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
kuduboet wrote:Okay, so I tested this this morning running both Waze and Apple Maps at the same
Did you report a map issue (in app) that captured your track? If so, please post a permalink so that we can all take a look.
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
kuduboet wrote:So here it is, and as you can see Waze wanted to go left, I stayed right and interestingly it shows my route as staying to the right. But Waze definitely thought I was in the express lanes as it also prompted me 5 miles later to move back over to the right to get into the local lanes for my upcoming exit, so it must be a logic thing, as Waze actually could see I didn't follow it's path but never "recalculated" and adjusted the route based on my staying right in the local lanes?
OK, thanks for posting that-- unfortunately, it doesn't show the interesting part of your journey (the "5 miles later" part) and instead shows that waze was actually tracking you quite well into the local lanes. What we need is a UR (and tracks) where it's giving you instructions based on erroneous location.
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
kuduboet wrote:So if I understand correctly you want me to map error it when it is telling me to get back over into the local lanes when I am already in them>? Is that correct?
Yes, you got it-- when you do that, it should save your track as well as the route that waze thinks you are (or should be) on. That might give us some idea of what's up (and will give us something to forward to more knowledgeable folks for advice).

Oh, you also you might want to select wrong directions for the map error type (I'm uncertain as to whether the other selections for a map error will cause the route and track to both be saved).
kuduboet wrote:Thanks for trying to help figure this out
Thanks for your willingness to generate debugging info.
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
I was told at one point that the resolution of the client is significantly lower than what's visible in WME. I guess the question is how/what does it decide to render when two roads are essentially coincident. It could be that they're both actually displayed in the client but that one obscures the other.
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
What client and what settings are you using? I think I just found the area in question on my phone. I can clearly see all lanes:
image.jpg
(88.8 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
kuduboet wrote:When you say what settings, what exactly are you referring to?
I noticed you were in "3D" mode, so I wondered what else you might have set -- I was thinking that 2D was the default setting, but I may have set mine to that way-back-when after being annoyed by the odd perspective the 3D was giving.

kuduboet wrote:Also, the two express lanes for you still show as one fat single center lane as far as I can see. Thanks.
Note how they directional arrows appear in mine. I just checked-- that lack of arrows appears to be an artifact of the 3D setting (another reason to hate it). Plus, the segment names in 2D mode are aligned with the actual segment -- making it possible to show the name for both of the directions of the express lanes -- vs. always horizontal in 3D (I guess?) which probably also makes it difficult to display when the two lanes/roads are essentially coincident (vis-a-vis the resolution of the app).

Try a switch to 2D-- I think you'll be much happier.
MisterMooCow
Send a message