Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Share my drive...going to work while standing in the house!

Post by jteammn
Has anyone tried the share my drive feature? My wife uses waze to go to work and she set it up to share her ride (instead of using glimpse). And, as she was waiting for my son to get out of the bathroom, the bit.ly link showed her traveling many miles while standing next to me.

I don't understand why, if waze knows the actual position, it is that wildly off the mark. Sure, I understand limiting the updates to a certain interval (find my friends appears to have a 1 minute interval) but this was ridiculous.
jteammn

POSTER_ID:9223224

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
enormekever wrote:Seems to me like functionality meant for driving through tunnels etc.
That's a good point, but it seems to need more work. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
When you say she was standing next to you waiting for your son to get out of the bathroom, does that mean the phone didn't have a GPS lock. I have had the share my ride give some strange results when waze doesn't have my actual position. But I haven't seen anything like this when my phone has a GPS lock.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
dmcconachie wrote:Very odd. Reproduceable? Or a one-off?
What I see is reproducible. If I turn off the GPS in my phone, start waze, set a route, share my drive to my own email, open the email, click the link, then what is shown on the link is a map with my route and a wazer icon moving along the route. The icon will just continue to move along the route even though I'm stationary. Of course waze doesn't know whether I'm moving or not because the GPS is off. If I then turn on the GPS and get a fix, the icon will snap to my actual position on the route.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dmcconachie
It should be far more accurate than that. And with an update interval of closer to 1 minute in my experience.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Very odd. Reproduceable? Or a one-off?
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
sven-gross wrote:I have that,too. I sit in office, but Waze shows I still drive around
But presumably you don't drive in your office so a small bug at worst. Share once you have a GPS fix instead of before and it shouldn't be a problem judging by previous comments.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by enormekever
Seems to me like functionality meant for driving through tunnels etc.
enormekever
Send a message
Regio Manager Noord-Brabant
https://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9051/1hb2.png
Setup: HTC One • Android 4.4.3 • Waze 3.8.1.0 • Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands

Post by jteammn
dmcconachie wrote:It should be far more accurate than that. And with an update interval of closer to 1 minute in my experience.
That's what I figured it should be. It seemed to just move on the basis of time with no reset for actual position. We watched it for five minutes as her smile chugged its way to work.

This appears to be a server issue as it is not correcting for actual position.
jteammn
Send a message

Post by SkodaRunner
I have that,too. I sit in office, but Waze shows I still drive around
SkodaRunner
Send a message