Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:56 pm

The list was updated yesterday with the results for most of the abbreviations and capitalization variations for:

Boro, Borough, Center, Centers, Centre, Estate, Estates, Rail Road, Ranch Road, Ranch to Market, Rural Route, State Highway, Township, Township Road.

Update: Parkway and Parkways also added to list.

The most significant change was the addition of a new column to reflect the test results for both audio files that are created by Waze.

After tweaking the text more today, here is the note that was added to the file to explain the change:

In the Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients
Test List for North America, GizmoGuy wrote wrote:

• Waze creates two TTS audio files for every routed road segment on the Android. One file speaks just the names contained in the segment name property. The other prefixes the segment name with the word "at". (On iOS devices, only the prefixed files have been found thus far.) It was not until late 2012 that a distinction in the TTS results between the two files was noticed. Testing of both files started on 2013-01-12, when a second result column was added. Therefore, until all items are re-tested, an entry in the Non "at" prefixed audio file column, will be either for the prefixed or the non-prefixed results if the "at" prefixed audio file column is empty.

I have not yet edited the opening post to reflect this.

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby txemt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 pm

I have confirmed, about 5 minutes ago, that Clle reads out as "call"
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm

txemt wrote:I have confirmed, about 5 minutes ago, that Clle reads out as "call"

I thought we decided a while back to just spell out "Calle" as it's only a single character different.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:53 pm

I pick something that hasn't been recorded from that list, put it into my apartment complex parking lot, then wait to see what it says. :) There wasn't any confirmation about "Clle" so I tried it.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Alice2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Wonders will never cease!! After weeks of hearing TTS announce U T South A, I finally heard all the letters pronounced as letters - U T S A. It was written as U T s A with no single quotes around the lower case s. Did I miss something about not requiring single quotes to get the letter pronounced as a letter instead of a direction? It still seemed peculiar because it appeared as all upper case letters on the client.
Alice2

Postby gettingthere » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
txemt wrote:I have confirmed, about 5 minutes ago, that Clle reads out as "call"

I thought we decided a while back to just spell out "Calle" as it's only a single character different.

Yes, I was involved in that thread and that was the recommendation for the USA. This is what we have done throughout San Diego. Although the abbreviation from the base map import in San Diego was Cll vs. Clle.

The recommendation for Spanish speaking countries that are using the Spanish TTS was to use C. But I don't know if that is actually parsed correctly.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 am

Alice2 wrote:Wonders will never cease!! After weeks of hearing TTS announce U T South A, I finally heard all the letters pronounced as letters - U T S A. It was written as U T s A with no single quotes around the lower case s. Did I miss something about not requiring single quotes to get the letter pronounced as a letter instead of a direction? It still seemed peculiar because it appeared as all upper case letters on the client.

Shhhhh.....I'm working my magic. :D
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Wajo357 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Two questions for the TTS chumps:

1) Most avenues in Brooklyn NY are letters, like Ave M . However, Waze reads Ave N, E, W, and S as the direction, not the letter. A few of us have tested that encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes gets Waze to say the letter and not the direction. So what do you guys recommend? Single quotes? double quotes? All avenues? Just problematic avenues? Add alternate name with no quotes?

2) On some of the ramps I've seen, the ramp name is "Exit 70A-B:...", but it is read as "exit 70ayybee" without any break between the ayy and bee. If I add a space before and after the dash Waze says "Exit 70ayy to bee. What do you guys recommend in such a situation?
Last edited by Spil on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed "ate letters" in #1 to "are letters" ;)
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357

Postby Spil » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Sorry, no input on the first one, but I'll take up this one for you:
Wajo357 wrote:2) On some of the ramps I've seen, the ramp name is "Exit 70A-B:...", but it is read as "exit 70ayybee" without any break between the ayy and bee. If I add a space before and after the dash Waze says "Exit 70ayy to bee. What do you guys recommend in such a situation?
In most such situations, the "Exit 70A-B" part of the ramp should be left unnamed, allowing TTS to use the appropriate "Exit 70A" or "Exit 70B" ramp name from the upcoming offramp. There may be some instances where the "Exit 70A-B" might be needed, though -- can you provide a Permalink to the interchange in question here?
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil

Postby orbitc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Spil wrote:Sorry, no input on the first one, but I'll take up this one for you:
Wajo357 wrote:2) On some of the ramps I've seen, the ramp name is "Exit 70A-B:...", but it is read as "exit 70ayybee" without any break between the ayy and bee. If I add a space before and after the dash Waze says "Exit 70ayy to bee. What do you guys recommend in such a situation?
In most such situations, the "Exit 70A-B" part of the ramp should be left unnamed, allowing TTS to use the appropriate "Exit 70A" or "Exit 70B" ramp name from the upcoming offramp. There may be some instances where the "Exit 70A-B" might be needed, though -- can you provide a Permalink to the interchange in question here?

Hi Spil, as far as the first one we moved that topic to TTS forum. We are waiting to hear from them. On our tests we found out that putting the letters in quotes help (either single ' ' or double quotes " ")

For the second one; I don't want to step anybodys toes but I have one for you. I don't think this is the same one Wajo357 mentioned though.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

PreviousNext

Return to United States