Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Waze route issues - inefficent turns in commuter traffic!

Post by jadecorrina
I've recently switched jobs. Instead of a primarily highway route, I am now taking surface streets. Although I've come to terms with "Always trust Waze even if you think there is a better route" I do have a few recent complaints:

1. Waze keeps sending me on routes that require a left turn without a stop light. It wouldn't be so bad, except it occurs during heavy Los Angeles commuter traffic in the evenings. It is practically impossible. I'm having to take a right, and then make a turn across traffic to turn around, etc etc. Frustrating! (Maybe a preference to avoid such turns during certain times?)

2. The "fastest" route is taking 15-25 turns to go 6 miles. I wish there was a feature to limit the number of turns. During commuter traffic, having to stop either at stop signs or stop lights actually increases the time it takes compared to Waze's estimate - therefore not making the route the fastest.
jadecorrina

POSTER_ID:5920036

Send a message

Post by CBenson
How recent was the job change? My experience is that if you wait at the left turn a few times, waze does learn that the turn is slow and stops routing that way where there are better alternatives.

Also be aware that the highways have had lots more attention from the editors than the residential streets in most areas, so it is usually beneficial to check the edit map for errors where you are getting strange routing.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Would you like to share a permalink of the general route and have anyone here look for issues on the map?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by esochan
I think the problem mainly lies in the fact that GPSes don't know whether an intersection with a valid left turn has a signal for it or not.

I think mssusa is kinda correct in that you might need to populate Waze speed data by following its route for a while, then drive your preferred route. It should know the best route to take after it knows enough information.
esochan
Send a message
Area Manager: Yuba City/Marysville, Oroville, Chico/Paradise/Magalia, California
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by jadecorrina
I was two months in for the new route. It did not seem to learn anythign different.

This week I just started back to an evening event that means a slightly further commute in the evenings in a different direction (all surface streets due to locations). Today was day
2 of that commute and I finally had to turn it off. I spent more time turning around than it would have taken to just drive the major roads and sit traffic.

I spend way too much time in traffic daily but the driving is very few miles between locations. Despite the low daily mileage, I have driven enough to reach the "Knight" level. After using (and recommending) Waze for quite a while, I may have to stop using it for my daily commutes and limit the use to certain trips where it is most efficient.
jadecorrina
Send a message

Post by mssusa
There used to be a setting to minimize turns, but they say it is always the way the routing engine works so there is no need for it and it was removed from the client.

My only help for you is to tough it up for a while and follow waze's way. I believe the servers store not only the average speeds of segments but also how long it takes to make each legal turn out of a segment (and that includes your left turns). So, perhaps the servers will learn that it is virtually impossible to make those left turns at rush hour.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
A Q for the more experienced and the champs, if the impossible left turns the OP talks about are in the 1st or last 500m of the route, do they still get processed for heuristics?
I ask this because I've been breaking the law near home and driving over dirt to make shortcuts just to make waze generate map problems or affect my routing to and from home. It never did. For more than a year now. I'm guessing this is because my transgressions are always in the 1st /last 500m of my drive.

So?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message