Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Adress search (house numbers) in Russia

Post by ASergunov
Hi Waze Team!
First of all thank you for great product!

Bad part
Waze have a realy bad adress search here. Yes, waze can use other adress providers, but they all can't give a result. Except google and foursquare.

I don't know why but in waze client google can't find adress. It can find POI by name, shows it's adress in search result, but when I enter this adress in search field it shows me nothing. It works well in browser.

Foursquare can find POI by adress but in residential areas it don't work. No POI there.

Waze allows only numeric addresses as part of the street and it's useless in Russian cities. 1, 2, 3

Why it's so important?
Yes most of wazers has 3-5 places they drive every day. Foursquare helps to find places (POI) for weekly drives. Users got good traffic reports, smart navigation, and they happy.

If user base is small you don't have good traffic reports, navigation not so smart, but it works. In this case users download and run navigation app when they do not know where they were going or how to get there. These users know only the destanation address. But waze can't help them.
"Does not work!" Unistall.

How about taxi drivers? They needs havigation apps. They have internet connection, smartphone, car charger but they can't use waze. It doesn't search for adress!
"Does not work!" Unistall.

Adress search is a BASE functional and it's DOES NOT WORK.
As result we have ~5 active wazers on 1M city.

Please do something.
ASergunov

POSTER_ID:2646024

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If you have a source for this data for Russian, please pass it along to Waze as they have requested. http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35889
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Changes to addresses are coming...

See: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35194 & viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35850

Unfortunately for you, it's the NA server's turn to get something first...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
There are potential licensing issues with using those providers. In the US ALL address search goes through Bing (appears in the Waze tab-other tabs will not return results), due to the different license agreements with the various providers (Google, FourSquare, Yelp, etc). I don't know which provider handles address search in Russia, but there is probably one specific one that does, with maybe a second as a backup.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by ASergunov
Yes, it's nice. But it is a monthes of development and years of mapping.

I have five tabs in waze search but no one gives me result.
And in browser google and bing works! Why? Why they don't fix it yet?
I think (I'm programmer) it can be done in fiew days.

Implementing other apis is a really faster than map improvement. (1-2 week?)

Look! It's about largiest russian free api viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19359
It's free while you sends api requests from user ip adress.

They reffised to use it because they want to send request from waze server, not from my device. Why?
ASergunov
Send a message

Post by ASergunov
First of all usually public geocoding API license is free for end user. It means you you can use it through javascript on your web pages. You can't send api answers to your server. It's a guarantee that you don't stole the data.

What means public geocoding provider for web service?
It is a four actors here.
Geocoding provider, web site, browser, user

1. User gives his request to script provided by web site.
2. Script sends request to geocoding provider and gets ansver.
3. Script modify html code and let browser to shows search result as part of web page.

Request comes from browser and has a user ip adress.
Browser respond for answers safety. It don't allow scrips to send data they got to any web sites.
Sometimes geocode provider want you to place his logo.
Public API providers ALWAYS count api requests coming from one ip adress to prevent data stoling and server overrun.

What we have in waze app? It's a web service too. It is a browser, script and page in one. All should be ok while requests comes to provider from user ip adresses (from user phones) and don't send it to other sites.

I trying to find this functional in client code and it doesn't there. Seems like they send requests to waze servers and then servers calls geocode api. In this case all api calls comes to provider from one IP. And they need to get commercial licensing.
ASergunov
Send a message

Post by ASergunov
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If you have a source for this data for Russian, please pass it along to Waze as they have requested. http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35889
Done
ASergunov
Send a message