Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Froggypwns
I too would love to have Waze on Windows 8/RT. I picked up a Surface tablet last month and the only time I still use my Android tablets is for Waze. Oh well my phone still runs Windows Mobile 6 so I can still Waze on that for now.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Froggypwns
Per Gartner's data linked above, Android and iOS are 86.3% of 3rd Quarter 2012 sales. If you had limited resources and have to pay developers to develop software are you going to develop for the operating system with 72.4% of sales or 2.4% of sales?
Well given that not a single Win8 Phone existed in the third quarter, this data is useless. The Windows phones shown in those stats are all the old Win7 phones. Now that there are millions of Windows 8 devices including tablets, laptops, and phones out there, it makes sense to start looking into a Metro Waze client.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Froggypwns
OldGnome wrote:
Froggypwns wrote:Now that there are millions of Windows 8 devices including tablets, laptops, and phones out there
What is the source of your data?
Right from Microsoft. They sold 40 million licences in the first month alone.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Froggypwns
I'm not confusing anything, I have two desktops running Windows 8, a 12" Asus tablet with Windows 8 Pro, and a Microsoft Surface Running Windows 8 RT, and I will be getting a Nokia 920 running Windows Phone 8. What do they all have in common? They all can run the same Metro apps. I have a USB GPS unit on my Surface and it lets me use the Bing maps app while I am on the go, but I would love to use Waze on it instead.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Froggypwns
petervdveen wrote: Waze is made for phones, not for laptops and desktops.
Besides, I don't think all apps are standard compatible with all windows 8 versions?
WP8, Windows RT, windows x64
The way things are heading, other than size there will be no distinction between laptop, desktop, and phone.

Windows 8 "metro" apps are cross compatible between WP8, RT, and x86 and x64 versions. The API is the same, the only changes that need to be made are to accommodate screen usage, and from what I've seen most of the devs get it right the first time and most apps work equally as good on WP8 as they do on my x64 work desktop and my Surface RT tablet. There are even rumors that the next Xbox will be using the same APIs so you could say download Cut The Rope on your desktop, phone, and Xbox, but I really can't see how Waze would be used on that one though.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Gamersea
You can try this, mabye this way WP8 people can get a little more attention for their cause.

http://www.change.org/petitions/waze-bu ... e-waze-app

I don't use WP8, but I've set up a petion for you guys;-)
Gamersea
Send a message
[img]https:///ZPXMBb[/img]

Post by Gamersea
Because uservoice does not seem to do the trick with votes. Maybe real signatures will.
Gamersea
Send a message

Post by Gamersea
petervdveen wrote:You must be new here ;-)
Funny! Anyways, I don't have a Windows phone and don't know what kind of possibilities you have but maybe Windows Phone users can install this on their phone? http://www.bluestacks.com or any other android/ios emulator.

Probally gotta find your own solutions.
Gamersea
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Waze stated previously that it had no plans to develop for Windows Phone 7. You can assume it's currently the same situation for Windows Phone 8.

Everything I have seen regarding SmartPhone market share and sales shows that Windows Phone has not been making any significant gains. It's currently a two horse race Android and iOS. All other platforms are currently insignificant.

Gartner's data published in November 2012 shows Microsoft Windows Phone at 2.4% of 3rd Quarter 2012 Worldwide sales. I have not seen specific data yet for Windows Phone 8 but I have not seen much of anything in the news stating that Windows Phone 8 devices are being sold in high volumes. http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=2237315

Per Gartner's data linked above, Android and iOS are 86.3% of 3rd Quarter 2012 sales. If you had limited resources and have to pay developers to develop software are you going to develop for the operating system with 72.4% of sales or 2.4% of sales?

Until Windows Phone 8 has a significant market share (I am thinking >10%) Waze shouldn't even consider it. Starting with Waze 3, the Waze application is developed as a native app to both the Android and iOS platforms. It's no longer some common code that is ported to each platform.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
OldGnome wrote:
xyes wrote:isn't BB version already available even though it's not even 5% of the market?
From what I have read around here, I don't think Waze is continuing to develop for the BB platform.
That is correct, the only active platforms that Waze is developing for is Android and iOS. The legacy 2.x Waze clients are still available for download for Windows Mobile, BlackBerry and Symbian. Obviously the legacy clients are limited in features vs. the current client.

Waze did a re-write of the application to be native to both Android and iOS with version 3. The legacy versions of Waze were written on a common platform and ported to each OS.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico